Boxing

Fuck my life, that was the hardest workout I've done in years. Don't think my calves and traps have ever hurt this much.

tell me already, what did you do?
starting next month (my uni provides courses)

yeah, it's very hard to do both lifting and boxing

i used to get private classes for like an hour, i was sore for the next 3 days. Worth the 20 bucks

truly a mans sport.
my coach hasnt worked out in 20 years
he still busted out 12 pull ups for fun the other day

Care to share the routine, OP?

Can I do SS on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while doing boxing on Tuesday and Thursday?

I've been boxing for about 2 months now. In 6 more I plan to start competing in the amateurs and if it all goes well, in 2 years get my license. Boxing has changed my life. It's fucking awesome. Not many other workouts compete. I go to the boxing gym 6 days a week, spar 2 of those days. Sometimes I can't even walk from jump roping and can't close my jaw from getting clocked in sparring, but it all hurts so good. Keep going OP. It gets better and better. Boxing is a man's sport.

I just signed up for a club like an hour ago. Havent boxed since i was 15.

Yeah sure why not

your coach lets you spar after two months of training?

Yes sir. For me at least. He wouldn't let most people spar after only 2 months.

How much rope does that fucker have you skipping?
My calves barely get tired after 15 minute warm up sessions before and after and I've only been at it for 3 months.

5-10 rounds, usually straight, no break in between rounds. If I spar we'll warm up with 3 straight.

Wait longer to compete yah dumb cunt

I might get brain damage from it but it's the only thing that excites me and keeps me alive.

>go to the gym a lot
>hit some pads
>think i'm fit
>spar for two minutes
>mfw

Stop getting punched in the head, or you will have a short career.

I don't know that is why I am asking.

Serious or not, at 31 it's the only thing I really enjoy anymore.

>Stop getting punched in the head
My god, I think you're on to something. If only boxers knew this

Maybe they keep forgetting it after getting punched in the head.

jesus dont go to a uni course, thats basically fitness tae-bo,find a proper boxing club.

Is a college club any good? The guy i talked to today said we will only be doing light sparring since we are on school grounds and we will be doing shit like jumprope, mitwork and all the usual boxing stuff.

there wont be sparring i can almost promise you that.

i boxed for about 4 years. was 3-0 in amateur fights. then my left eye got bad and I couldnt do it anymore (genetics). so i quit my club and started powerlifting. after 2 years or so i felt the itch again and went to the "advanced" university class. it was fun and all basically just fitness. no sparring, couldnt do it, levels were just 2 different, not enough trainers to keep an eye on everybody. you want a boxing gym where you can go on your own and work on your own.

speedbag, heavybag, shadowboxing in front of mirrors, meeting with someone in the gym for some sparring. the bigger boxing gyms also have weights.

What do you do for a boxing workout? How does it compare to a regular workout like TM + Cardio?

>you aren't allowed to spar before you've trained every day for two months

Either your coach is a cuck or youre doing boxercise, faggot

I feel ya, boxing is one of the hardest sports I ever went out for.

i was asked in my first week if i wanted to sparr, said yes, got my rib broken from turning into a bodyshot with relaxed abs. shit happens. i remember walking around with flexed abs all the time for 2 months.

Jesus christ mate, that's normal. Pretty shit that whoever you were sparring against threw hard enough to break a rib, especially when you're that inexperienced.

Either that or you're kitten soft, I only fractured a rib twice in 10 years of pro MT/Boxing

Not normal*

No other sport gets the blood pumping in quite the same way! You're never too old to get back into it

Or his coach is smart, and realises that throwing idiots into sparring too quickly just develops and reinforces bad habits. Too much fight or flight instinct and not enough experience/skill to stay calm

I'm coming back to my hometown and I have been looking into boxing.
I haven't worked out since high school, but I worked on farms for 6 years so I have stamina.
How fucked would I be if I signed up at the local club?

how do i jump rope good? when i try it keeps getting caught on my foot

Slightly bend at knees and waist, jump from and land on balls of feet, have arms at sides and skip rope using your elbows

Give it a few weeks and you'll be fine. The sooner you start the sooner you'll get used to it.

My harvest check will be signed next week. Fucking doing it.

Sounds like your timing is off.

Practice by holding both handles in one hand, and spin the rope next to your body. Once you get a rhythm going, lightly bounce from foot to foot, just out of time with the rope. Once you get the hang of that try skipping for real again.

Go for very small, rhythmic movements. You want to aim for your feet to barely clear the rope each bounce. Big jumps will just stuff you up

Keep that farming work ethic in mind and you'll be sweet as

Shit is rewarding

I train at a proper boxing club.

Some nights the class will be padwork for an hour

Other nights it'll be strength and conditioning, it'll be a class full of high intensity intervals of push ups, sit ups, burpees, squats all in different variations for about 45 minutes.

Other nights it'll be bag work mixed with intense body weight stuff to really push our endurance and cardio.

Boxing is hard as fuck, the hardest part is that you can't go at your own pace. When you're lifting it's up to you how hard and fast you go, but in a boxing class you gotta keep up or people notice you slacking and if your trainers any good he'll call you out on it. I've been boxing for 7 years and I fucking love it, it made me go from a nervous faggot into a man.

I'm 25. Is it too late if I want to start boxing and enter amateur competition with no prior experience at all ?

My coach let me spar first day. Of course he paired me with someone experienced who knew how to get me moving right and not injure me, but yeah. Any coach that is worth their salt can have you sparring immediately.

Nope, get training.

You might be starting a bit late to make national level tournaments and stuff but that's no reason not to give it your best shot

Yeah I can understand that. I never let my newbies jump in for proper sparring rounds until I thought they were really ready. Doing contact drills was okay from day one though

How often do you non-amatuers train?

I want to get into boxing, or maybe muay thai, but I can only dedicate one day a week.

Don't even bother if you're only willing to dedicate one day a week, you won't stick to it and you won't work hard because you don't want it.

You could cut out other shit. Priorities faggot.

I work 12 hours a day 4 on 4 off. On monday I'll wake up at 4.45am, get to work for 6am, finish work at 6pm and go straight from work to boxing at 7pm, I'll train until 8.15pm and then go home, get some sleep and repeat the next day.

Hell on friday the class starts at 8pm, I won't get into bed until nearly 10pm but I'll still go. If I'm tired as fuck I'll just drink black coffee near 6pm.

You get back what you put in.

Talk about being over presumptuous, you don't know my priorities, my lift style or what/how hard I train.

If your only argument against training once a week is that i won't stick to it then what exactly is your point?

we got a hardass over here

Train boxing as often as you want to, if you're not aiming to be a fighter. Your progress will be slow unless you're a natural boxer, but if you aren't competing that doesn't matter.

You do get out what you put in, but something is better than nothing

Same goes for MT. The only thing apart from skills that will be slow to develop are things like your toughness and losing the flinch reflex

Damn that's rough, doing less than the hundreds of thousands of other fighters with full time jobs have to do every day. Try waking up for cardio before work and then two/three hours training, six days a week, to then go and go fight for peanuts

Ya know, if we're going to be talking tough and all

hundreds of thousands eh...?

Worldwide, amateurs/pros/illegals. Maybe a bit high, but still.

>amateurs in 8 months
you're going to be put to shame

Ye of little faith. It's just the amateurs!

Give it 100% breh

Yea I know. Its just to get my feet wet for the pros. But I'm in good hands. I know that if I'm not ready in 8months they wouldn't let me go out there and will delay it.

Yeah most trainers/gyms don't want their rep being tarnished by pumping out shit-rate fighters who get beaten like an ugly stepchild, it doesn't help anyone

Boxing is the toughest all around sports, mentally and physically. You're on your own team, and you have to be the last one standing. The cardio, endurance, and strength needed are fucked. Tfw no roy jones jr mode

I know man

I know

mfw havnt trained in almost a year can still do more pullups and am stronger then boxin friend fags

Should I do boxing or MT? I'm 6 feet tall and weight 192 pounds but my legs are fucking short. I've got good traps and calves, can bust out 15 pull ups, run 2 miles in 15 minutes, and do a lot of body weight shit. Boxing seems to be dominated by a lot of thick fucks because less reach is involved in punching but MT looks so fucking brutal.

Boxing

Both, and see which one you enjoy more. Short legs are only a bitch in MT if you want to play the teep game with your opponent, try and trade leg kicks on the outside or let your head get controlled in a clinch.

Bonus is shorter legs are usually stronger, and the power you can generate with less leverage works in your favour when fighting on the inside. Think knees to the thighs and chopping inside kicks to the rear leg if you can work angles well. Also lower centee of gravity helps to not get tossed around in a clinch.

I've fought both styles before and I'm a manlet

But can you fight tho

So step up your clinch game if you have shitty reach? How would one go on the inside effectively without being knocked out by skeletor?

Boxing has a harder exercise component and boxing clubs will make you practice your moves for much longer until they are fully ingrained in you, but MT is a better martial art.

Keep your hips tight to his body so he can't get a knee anywhere near your head, if you're fighting full thai then you can still slip some elbows in without having to really make space for hip movement. Otherwise try to dump him and reset. As for getting in then kick catches, lateral movement and low/high combos are your friend. It's not easy but it's not the death sentence some people think it is

Depends where you train, if your MT club doesn't enforce a lot of shadow work for their fighters then they're cheating themselves. Even the Thai's practise their technique work a shitload, you just never see it on the cool youtube video highlights

Look at guys like mike zambidis or saenchai. If you can move like saenchai though then you should probably go pro asap and make some damn money

Yes

Any UK bros here that did UWCB?

basically just a bunch of chavs fighting each other, if you're relatively strong and can throw for 6 minutes straight it's fun as fuck (for you)

7 years and it still hurts? i thought u adapt with the intensity of the training

Nah, Muay Thai (authentic, not the western bullshit) is way tougher.

I do boxing to recover from lifting.
Compared to judo boxing is literally light conditioning.
And there are people who do judo and lifting and excel at both and then run too.

Roy was shit compared to other pros. He was naturally gifted but his boxing skills were not that good. As soon as he got older and lost his magical speed and reflexes he got beat. Why am I even posting here. Oh right I have a boxing workout in a few minutes and have noting better to do.

You don't fight obviously, so you can be forgiven for thinking that boxing is "light conditioning"

I'd like to see how many judoka have both the speed, agility, power to weight ratio, aerobic and anaerobic thresholds of a boxer. Not many I'd bet