Why do people act like the fucking wheel was one of the most important inventions ever...

Why do people act like the fucking wheel was one of the most important inventions ever? Many great civilizations were built without ever inventing it.

Because history is grecoroman-centric. Get used to it.

Yeah and none of those wheel-less civilizations are here to tell the tale

Name four.

The ones who invented it are long gone too, your point?

Incas, Mayans, Aztecs, Egyptians

>destroyed with ease
>destroyed with ease
>destroyed with ease
>conquered by wheelers, now use wheels themselves

Not an argument

>Inca
Destroyed by disease. The wheel wouldn't have saved or even helped them. Nothing could have.
>Maya (not Mayans)
Destroyed by a combination of factors, drought being one of the biggest ones. Nothing could've saved them. Certainly not the wheel.
>Aztecs
Destroyed by disease. Ditto.
>Egyptians
>conquered by wheelers
They'd accomplished rather a lot by that point.

I mean, I agree with you, the wheel WAS one of the most important inventions ever, but you're not making a very strong case here.

Ok satan

>Egyptians

Whose reign postdates the Hyksos invasion.

Twenty seconds of googling, dude. Less time than it took you to dig up that picture.

They did not invent it you idiot

Yeah it's written in the page where the picture comes from, thanks. The point is that Egyptians can certainly not be considered as a wheel-less civilization, we don't argue to know who had it first or who invented it.

>when the brainlets post

How am I the brainlet? You're saying Egyptians invented the chariot?

Who said that?

Egyptians had the wheel

They had them before the Hyksos, just not spook wheels but full ones, even neolithic europeans had full wheels

OP's point is that the invention of the wheel didn't create civilization. There were cities, agriculture, trade, advanced art and agriculture even before the wheel was invented.

Pottery (allowed to store large quantities of food) and irrigation (allowed to produce it) were a much more revolutionary inventions.

>OP's point is that the invention of the wheel didn't create civilization.
The reason people are scoffing is because that's a pretty banal point to make. It may not have *created* civilization, but it was certainly an enormous boon to it in the areas where it was invented/adopted (and where the geography was such that it could be effectively used).

It may have been less important than POTTERY and IRRIGATION, but that doesn't preclude it from being one of the most important inventions ever. That is a pretty high fucking bar to set.

Stupid question:
Does "inventing a wheel" refer only to the kind used for transportation?
Or can it be a pottery wheel, or anything rotary and circular?

In that case all that means is that pottery and irrigation were entirely unrelated to the creation of civilization as pre-civilized societies had pottery and irrigation. In short they're about as related to the establishment of civilization as flintknapping and fire are.

>Hyksos invasion
They introduced the chariot, not the wheel.

>pre-civilized societies had pottery and irrigation

Did they, though? Maybe you have a different definition of 'civilization'?

I'm not saying it was totally unknown, but I am not aware of the wheel having any significant adoption in Egypt before the invasion. Do you have citations to the contrary?

I assumed they had bull drawn chariots like neolithic europeans or sumerians but apparently I was wrong (they did have the potter’s wheel though)