Is it true what they say? Is Spain really just discount France?

Is it true what they say? Is Spain really just discount France?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaspar_de_Guzmán,_Count-Duke_of_Olivares
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_da_Paz,_Prince_of_Portugal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

France itself is discount Senegal

Somehow I didn't realise that France and Spain were butt buddies in terms of borders.

Both France and Spain had very strong regionalism and both unified lots of different people of different languages and traditions. You could say they were very similar in a sense.

The great difference is that France succeeded in smashing any real local resistance and controlling the nobles, whereas Spain was too occupied fighting simultaneously pretty much everywhere in the Mediterranean sea (Ottomans) and Germany (Protestant).
They never were able to get a truly powerful central authority, and now they pay the price of a weak, decentralised and corrupt state.

See this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaspar_de_Guzmán,_Count-Duke_of_Olivares for one of the last centralization efforts of the Spanish holdings.
That guy could have been the equivalent of Richelieu.

> Both France and Spain had very strong regionalism and both unified lots of different people of different languages and traditions. You could say they were very similar in a sense.

You can say this about all western Europe. UK, Italy and Germany are exactly the same as France and Spain in this aspect

american education, ladies and gentlemen!

"[name] was a Spanish royal favourite of Philip IV and minister. As prime minister from 1621 to 1643, he over-exerted Spain in foreign affairs and unsuccessfully attempted domestic reform. His policy of committing Spain to recapture Holland led to a renewal of the Eighty Years' War while Spain was also embroiled in the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648). In addition his attempts to centralise power and increase wartime taxation led to revolts in Catalonia and in Portugal, which brought about his downfall."

Doesn't sound anywhere near the level of Richelieu desu

No one has refuted op yet

Indeed. Maybe another aspect to consider is that modern Spain and modern France were mostly (I insist on the mostly) under the rule of one king whereas Germany and Italy were a decentralised bunch of little states ?

I acknowledge my mistake for Britain.

Well he failed where Richelieu then Mazarin succeeded. That's what I wanted to imply.

Completely different countries, I dont see any similarities between France and Spain
Captcha was: Select Juán de Austria store showcase

He was miles ahead of Richelieu in basically every way. Richelieu was just luckier and had to deal with an easier situation

It is just retarded. Spain was the union of some warrying kingdoms that explore half of the globe and effectively fought half of it for multiple reasons while France was ruled by some faggots with heels due manlet complex

OBSESSED

Amused, actually

LEAVE AMERICA ALOOOONE

Country of shepards, soldiers and Priests that happened upon a fuck ton of gold and wealth, and instead of developing a proper society and infrastructure just spent it on wars and churches

They are the equivalent of a redneck winning the lottery

>Country of shepards, soldiers and Priests that happened upon a fuck ton of gold and wealth, and instead of developing a proper society and infrastructure just spent it on wars and churches
So many memes in so few lines. I don't know why I even browse this board anymore. Castile was the second strongest kingdom in christedom since the XIII century and soundly BTFO France in the Italian wars without any money from America. It was also the first kingdom to have borgouis revolution in the history of mankind. Blaming Habsburg autism on Spain is retarded

every province in Spain has a port

France is semi-landlocked

not only that, Spain has a superior unit comp. France is discount Spain, even if they have cool late period shit.

Which game?
Medieval II Total War?

you know I actually played Medieval: Total War, but I no longer remember Spain.

THIS.
Dismounted Conqs just fuck all inf and Gendarmes suck ass BIG time.

>point of interest
>Disneyland

The I or the II?

I of course, remember II.

i have always thought this, i thought it was only me

No, but Morocco is a discount Spain.

>stop pointing out my autistic outbursts!

Tunisia is discount Spain.
Morocco is a mistake.

Spain is more mountainous then France so it makes centralisation and transport more difficult

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_da_Paz,_Prince_of_Portugal

If only this guy had survived Spanish/Iberian unification would have happened earlier and Spain could have avoided union with the Hapsburgs.

Imagine Spain united and not wasting resources on Hapsburg wars. Spain would rule the waves even more then OTL. Their land border against France is also naturally defensible. Spain could let the French and Hapsburgs bleed themselves dry fighting each other while it focused on its overseas empire and becoming wealthy.

they both speak a romance language