I'm an American and im going to study American history!

>I'm an American and im going to study American history!

Is there a more useless combination?

Ah yes I'm sure your future employers will be delighted you got the most common kind of history degree and your interest in history doesn't even leave the borders of your own country

Every American history major I met was a brainlet.

Being fair, 95% of the point to American college in the first place is to build your network and learn how to talk to people.

>american
>history

Pick
one

What is so wrong about learning history?

You can learn the entirety of American "history" in the time it takes to shit.

This

American history is so fucking boring and short, how the fuck can you even design a 4 year course on it

now, Romans, Burgundy, Russia middle east, even China?

All things worth studying.

Some people need to study American history m8. I get that there is a conflict between the utility of a degree in the market, and the virtue of a humanities education.

Personally, I think some people should absolutely study American history, in fact, some people should study all kinds of history, and become experts in the field because it is extremely valuable knowledge.

But should a lot of people do it? Of course not.

But theres nothing of worth in American history
no great figures or conflicts
no philosophers no artists nothing

its the war factory country, its full of mindless orcs bred to fight.

Again, you need to study the romans or the sumerians

something much more worthy of study

>But theres nothing of worth in American history

This isn't true at all. Both the American Revolutionary War and the Civil War were extremely influential events on the rest of the world.

Not to mention the USA's involvement in several world wars.

>involvement
That's not how you spell instigation

>A HIGH LEVEL OF DISCOURSE
>SOURCES

I'd rather be a G*rmaboo than an americaboo

Do americaboos outside of america even exist?

Exactly.

Am I in America or not

People usually like to study their own history. It still makes more sense to me than the "American Studies" majors I've met from foreign universities. Those people are hilarious and get excited about the most mundane shit.

>What was it like growing up there?
>How do you feel about Mark Twain?
>How do they teach the War of 1812 over there?
>Why is your bacon weird?
>Have you ever been to the south? Is it really like that?
>You're American? I'm jealous, I wish I could go over there sometime.

>future employers
If you’re studying history for career opportunities you’re fucked either way so you might as well focus your studies on whatever you find interesting.

history majors have a better chance of getting a job than me thats for sure

>americaboos outside of america

Dont
fucking
exist

What superiority?

>American Studies
That's a major foreigners can take?
>>Why is your bacon weird?
Our bacon is weird, why?

An American history degree is more likely to lead to a job in the US than a degree in Chinese history.

How will learning about other countries help you get a job in this country?

Economy, military, culture, technology...

why wouldnt foreigners be able to do american studies

Given that how U.S has the largest, the best funded and most comprehensive curriculums on the subject, I don't see it being a moot idea. What value does superificial internationalism add anyways? History needs more, not less, specialization.

Mate, you could structure a four year course on the 18th century history alone. College history is not high school history: it goes in depth. By no means would it be even a stretch to theme a history degree solely around the history of U.S elections since WW2, or on WW2 alone.

isn't sort of the point of historians to find those things

U.S is full of great figures when it comes to democratic politics, for example.

>build a network
>talk to people
So basically I just wasted all my money.

european history > american history
chinese history > american history
japanese history >american history
middle east history >american history
classics major > american history

American history is for FUCKHEADS

I met this piece of shit american history major who basically just wanted to focus on us civil war

I fucking hate that guy. Hes a fucking idiot who doesnt know anything about history

> That's a major foreigners can take?
Yeah, its not too suprising, given that Master's level history courses essentially require the student to speak the language of the subject country. A lot of history students find it a convenient area of specialization.

When did the eternal yuro become a bigger shitposter than the australians and canadians combined?
It's not even shitposting, they actually believe this garbage and think themselves smart enough to be considered historians.

>amerimutts

you hate a guy who specialized in a clearly defined field?

american civil war is dull as fuck

hes a masturbatory piece of shit

personally I'm a Classics major with a minor in Spanish Literature & History

This is much more valuable than his fucking american history shit. I told the guy to his face that doesn't know shit and I know everything he knows and exponentially more

> american civil war is dull as fuck
That's an opinion, and as such, is hardly a basis to bash an entire field of study.

> This is much more valuable than his fucking american history shit.
How do you rank the valuability of two different degrees and fields of scholarship? Besides, he sounds like a post-graduate, whereas you sound like an undergraduate - how do you even compare?

man he's just some underage yuroshart w/ a massive chip on his shoulder. stop replying to obvious bait

Nothing at all.

>STOP LIKING THINGS I DONT LIKE
Are you 16?

You really showed me