/run/

No running thread? Allow me.

Who here lmao compression pants for running? Worth it?

I wear the shortest shorts I own and the free cotton shirts I get from races. Fuck pussies

I wear compression shorts. Feels nice not having sweat run down my legs.

Nope, I wear cheapo Starter/Walmart brand shorts in the warmer temps, track pants in the colder day. Even after 10 years, they are still working good with no rips or anything.

>free cotton shirts I get from races
So you participate in shitty races?

I rarely have this happen. Maybe you should work on building up effort?

>Maybe you should work on building up effort?
I'm fine. How is this connected to sweat dripping?

Can you guys help me? I wanted to do this half marathon so badly and I was following a training guide for it until yesterday when I was diagnosed with stress fractures in my ankle. It had been bothering me awhile, but I continued to run because it wasn't unbearable and I figured I just needed to power through. I was wrong and now I'm hurt. How do I not want to kill myself/not lose all my running gains? Thanks

Crosstraining with elliptical and waterjogging.

Water jogging is your best bet. It may seem goofy but a lot of elite runners use it for a lot of their training.

Thanks, I'll look into water jogging for sure.

Cool, I'll start doing some research. Thank you

What's a good time for 1 mile I used to run 5k before my workout but feel like I shouldn't tire myself out too much before the workout

Physio told me I have ITB friction. Besides RICE and a few stretches, anything I can do to maintain my cardio gains? Trying to hit a certain level on the beep test for a job. Will rowing fuck up my ITB?

Pls post, marathon training girl.

Always give up on running two weeks into it. Stopped for three months this time.
Actually going to stick with it for military reasons in December. Probably can heave my way to five minutes straight before wanting to die.

Whats the best way to increase running ability? Intervals? Ideally I want to be at two miles in 12 minutes but I'll accept 1.5miles in 12 too.

compression pants are more or less needed here due to coldness
I use them from late September to late March here (Finland)
because at some point it becomes too cold to run just in shorts, and eventually it becomes warm enough to run in shorts. in between I need more layers of clothing due to extensive heat/energy loss otherwise. (aka my balls freeze)

pic: todays run
pls no h8, legs were tired.

There isn't any hate in these threads except for trolls. Good job on your run.

Thinking of copping some compression pants myself what brands would u guys rec. something cheap
Just recovered from a nagging knee injury that started from having flat feet. had to spend $300 on custom soles and had to drop muh nike free's for ASICS

Would it also be a good idea just to start running on soccer fields into I get my form back?
Miss that runners high so much :(

What app is that? Also, have you tried tracing your route on google maps to get an accurate meassure of the distance you are running? It just happened to me that I was sure I was doing 5k runs until I meassured the circuit at the park where I go to, and it turns out that I've been running 4,7-8 ish the whole time. It will depend on sat signal

>rec. something cheap
They are less than $10 at aliexpress

I did "intervals" for the first time. Nothing too structured though, something like 2km warmup, 1km as fast as I could, 400m recovery, 600m sprint, 1km recovery, then repeat.

Running fast is a nice feeling

I wear compression pants around my apartment like yoga pants but not in public

Suunto Ambit R2, with GPS tracking set to 1 second intervals. Yeah, I have map, but not interested in sharing everything on Veeky Forums.
the watch uploads the data to Movescount, where I can see that image. The watch interface can reveal same, but obviously checking your run is easier from a larger screen.
sometimes the gps gives odd altitudes, but 1m is still 1m when moving forward. (but sometimes it might measure me running on top of tunnel instead in the tunnel, due to signal bouncing maybe from the top)

>compression pants for running? Worth it?

Yes. I run in them when it's colder weather. I also have nike pro shorts that have the tight legging underneath the shorts

>compression tights on a """""male"""""
>TRY HARDS UNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE!!!!!

Which shoes do you run in?

I might get some compression pants after this thread, I've been running intervals every other day for a couple of weeks now, but I want to step it up to at least a mile a day. I've been running in some nonslip memory foam shoes, although they are heavy and meant for work, not running. Am I alright running with those? It'd been okay so far

Get proper shoes first, they are the most important piece of kit for running

thx f4mily

Good job little finn
I'm down to a 6 min mile for 3 miles
Feels good brahs

Not memeing here but i run in boots i love the support and it doesn't hurt muh arch

I've started to run 6+ miles recently and just got a water bottle (I've been having to stop and drink from fountains before), should I only fill it water or is it advisable to fill it with other stuff? I was thinking of doing 1/4 coconut water and 3/4 water. I'm very naive when it comes to this kind of stuff.

dont run in those too often i would suggest. can be bad for ur posture

its running not science

For orthotics and my flat and wide as fuck feet.

Which ones? Everyone's needs are different.

distilled water is the best they say. one of my friends has one of those machines

Just use tap water (unless you live in a country where tap water would give a high chance of diarrheal issues.)

7 minutes and below are 'respectable'

Looks good. Which other ones have you tried?

You need a pair of Hoka

cotton shorts and a reebok training t-shirt, which is thin cotton.

Honestly unless you're running ha,f-marathon distances or you have some serious issue with your skin or something, I really don't see the need to spend money on anything fancy, you're just gonna sweat it in several times a week, and within 2 months you'll have washed it so much it'll be unwearable anyway, the only type of clothing you should be investing seriously in is shoes and possibly socks.

Do it for more than 2 weeks

I actually wear compression pants in the winter. Very easy to slip on under jeans/suit and I never get cold.

I would highly recommend them, but I've never used them for running. However I probably would run with them in the winter.

should I run in the rain?? or will I get sick??

I wanna do my weekend 5k on Saturday morning but it's gonna rain.... what do

try proper running shirts made of polyester.
I simply cannot downgrade back to cotton... proper running shirt is smooth, dries easily, doesn't soak as much sweat, is lighter and doesn't chafe. (yeah, I do run 10-20kms distance with maybe annual marathon also)

and boxers... cotton underwear doesn't last as well, nor does it minimize chafing.

Sure, if you run 1-2 times per week and below 10km distances, you might not need better gear, but anything above that and I suggest investing in proper running gear.

it is still one of the cheapest hobbies and excellent way to stay fit.
good shoes last 1-2 years and good shirts/underwear should also last 5-10 years. buy 2-3 shirts and a pair of boxers and you are good for a decade.
socks meanwhile wear out faster.

Yeah I run 3 times a week totalling about 9-ish miles overall, so I don't need proper running gear, funnily enough I bought 15 pairs lf reebok training socks and they are awesome, not a single bit of wear and tear in several months, I wear the same ones during the day now just because of how good they are.

I'm a red wings guy personally an 875 is really nice because its still a good 6 in of leather but it has a rubber sole ao its durable and comfy (tho i love my iron rangers to but thats an extremely hard sole so you might not like it for running)
Thurgoods is has a knock off of those and i heard they were decent. Whats nice about the higher up ones os theu support your ankles and your less likely to roll them which is what happened to 3 sods in my cross country team when i was in high school

Nike Vomero - way too soft for my weight.
Some red brooks whose Name I don't recall, however they were not ideal either.

Those are Saucony Echelon 5.

Haven't tried them. I have really really shit feet though.

pls respond

rain is fine, just dress properly
if you get cold, run faster.

and then instantly after finishing change into dry clothes or jump into shower.
as long as your body is pumping out heat, the rain itself is not an issue.
stopping in rain might be an issue however.

cold rain can be REALLY motivating when you want to run fast (and finish ASAP)

thanks senpai

hopefully I wont get sick

who told you running in the rain will make you sick?

>mfw just ran 6k in 38 minutes
It's by no means respectable, considering how a few months ago I could barely make it to the end of the road, I'm really proud of myself.
We're all gonna make it brehs
T. Recovering fatty

Most Hoka models are ideal for wide flat feet. Check some reviews on youtube. Ginger runner does good reviews.

Wear a cap. Rain in your eyes sucks when running

>mfw going into the last week of C25K
>mfw I know I can easily do 30 for those last three days because I've been doing 30 for the last two weeks anyway
>mfw

How long do I have to run to get a runner's high? I've never felt it.

dumb no face poster

bout 3,50

I used to get runners high after 60 mins of fast running, a year later I had to get at least 90 mins of running, these days 120 min is the bare minimum to get a slight feel

building tolerance fucking sucks
your body becomes accustomed to the distance and doesn't care about providing natural painkiller cannabinoids to hide the strain and exhaustion

Unless its freezing outside, Booty shorts are the only applicable option. Not even meming.

s-sorry, I accidentally pressed post due to force of habit
just imagine that I posted an image of a very smug chameleon nerd with a trapped butterfly in the back

When I run in compression leggings it feels like I have to work five times as fucking hard.

Seriously, a 25 minute 5k is a nice easy pace normally but put the tights on and I'm fucking dying at the end. They feel reeeaaaalll nice when lifting though.

I may even smack my own ass when I do BW squats to warmup

I had ITB pain a few weeks ago. RICE didn't really help. Stretching and correcting my form solved the problem

>finally built up to running an hour straight 3 times a week without blowing out my knees
Feels good man

Great, keep going user

I'm training for the Navy. I am using c25k but I think my shoes are too small... what is a good, inexpensive pair of shoes?

3 minutes.

I used to be able to go out and run 10 miles easy

But now I have to stop for breath after running for like 3 minutes

Remember to be consistent kids

I run a lot, like long distance, but best pace I can keep up for many minutes is 4min/km.
I somehow have trouble converting it to miles. Guess I could try a faster pace if I just run a mile, but dunno.

all the people here claiming those high mile times look a bit odd tbqh

Tell me about your recent achievements /run/

I ran 5 miles in 40 minutes yesterday, it was the first time I kept up a consistent 8:00/mile pace over a long distance and it was surprisingly easy to do. Usually I start off at about a 7:30/mile pace and drop to 9:00/mile by the end. A lot of it is in your head, convince yourself that you can't run for a certain distance or at a certain pace and you'll never be able to do it.

4 mins 20 second/km is 7min/mile, so you're doing pretty well

Pretty well?! I can't even run a mile in 10... like, what the fuck is this bullshit. SURE I just started running like, a month or two ago and progress needs to be taken a bit slow to avoid injuries but seriously?!

I can run semi-long distances at a decent speed so I thought I was pretty fit until I did some circuits today. Basically you'd sprint the width of a football field and back, do 15 reps of sit ups or press ups or whatever and then do it again until you've done it 9 times. After 3 I was struggling and only managed 6 in all, and then 5 on the second go after a short jog. How long until I can do this shit without feeling like I'm going to throw up? I warmed up beforehand and everything and it was a bit depressing realising how I'm nowhere near as fit as I thought I was

Just that classic British understatement m8.

7 minutes to a mile over long distances is very good. Take it slow, keep your training consistent, increase the distance and the time will start to drop off.

That guy looks like my father, sigh :(((

I feel retarded... but I've been following c25k for a little while, I just feel like shit. It shouldn't be this difficult to run. And I feel awful about letting my body get to this point.

I run in jeans kek.

I'm shit at running. Is C25k a good program to follow?
What are some good road running shoes, should I go to a running store for the shoe test thing or is that a meme?
Couch 2 5K while doing starting strength?

my knee hurts a bit and has done for about a week while I've been resting it. At what point is it fucked and I should see a doctor?

I use them when it's cold. There is no other benefit

Coming from an actual marathon runner

I use them for OCRs

It gets better.

I just completed my first 35 minute run. Thanks for all the help getting here senpai ^_^

Hi Veeky Forums! I started running last week and I felt some stings on my shin. I researched and it's most likely a shin splint. What should I do?

Glute bridges and squats helped me

Run at a slower pace and stretching

There isn't much you can do but to push through it. You will eventually get use to it and it will start fading away.

When I first started running I suffered from horrible shin splints because I have large calf muscles. All I can do is ice after ever run.

>wake up, toilet, go for run. slow and run out of breath easy.

>sit in a movie. drink a huge soda. run at a full sprint across huge parking lot. Feel light as a feather. didn't even get winded.

What the fuck gives?

and how can I tap int that post movie energy ?

How does /run/ deal with knee tendonitis?

C25k is a good program. Going to a store for the shoe test is not a meme, but if you don't have any sort of "condition", just get any pair of shoes and see how it goes for you.

Grats user. Keep up the good work. We're all gonna make it!

I always run shirtless. What does Veeky Forums think of this?

You rest

We don't give a single fuck, whatever floats your boat

I ran for 25 minutes straight today, a new personal best. Only covered 2.4 miles though so I'm not at the normal 10 minute pace yet.

It's pretty awesome though. Just about 3 weeks ago I was barely running 15 minutes straight at most, and kind of stalled with that for about a month. I decided to just keep going and hit 20 minutes on my first try.

Me too but ill usually go shirtless if its sunny so i dont get weird tan lines

i wear compression pants on leg day. comfy as fuck

Damn, it's like these running generals are the only threads where the old Veeky Forums spirit still stands. People literally improving little by little.

Fucking proud of you breh. Keep it up and report back.

Contrib00t guys

Have you all ever stopped to consider what it is you're running *from*?

I actually decided to start running while going through arguably the most stressful time of my life. It is an escape in some sorts. And a form of validation. Trying to add more meaning in my life by getting into running.