Hi Veeky Forums I'm new to working out and just read the sticky, Starting Strength seems like the program for me...

Hi Veeky Forums I'm new to working out and just read the sticky, Starting Strength seems like the program for me. But looking through posts on here I keep seeing people talking about the 'ss meme' and how people that follow it look like bloated babies. So is Starting Strength a good routine or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yeah, you don't want to do that shit. read this instead:
simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

It's good for strength not if you want to look like chad.

SS is a meme is a meme

SL is a better program for a casual newbie anyway. Rows are a less technical lift than cleans

How can I become very strong while also looking ripped?

this. don't do low reps like 5. and don't do shit like squats, deadlifts or bench press. I recommend a routine with only assistance exercises done for sets of 15. make sure you hit the muscles from every angle, so don't be afraid to include several exercises per body part. this is the real way to get swole. doing compounds for sets of 5 will only train your CNS and won't do shit for size. actually, it will make you fat.

good luck, man!

it's good for begginers, I wouldn't reccomend doing it for longer than 6 months
Don't treat SS as a complete routine, more like a template, add some accessories to each day i.e curls, skullcrusher, lateral raises, pullups(I think the 3rd edition of SS even includes chinups, but suggest that you started later on, which is dumb)

yes, SL is clearly better than SS, but it's still a strength routine and OP wants to look good. so he has to do a split

It's a good program if you want or need to build strength. Now, if you only want to look fit and have no particular use for the muscles you want (meaning, you have no hobbies), you should pick an hypertrophy routine.

forgot to mention this, stay away from power cleans, they offer very little in terms of muscle development

this. power cleans don't really use any muscle mass at all, you just float the barbell to your shoulders using your skeleton and leverages.

Fucking christ. Don't listen to these idiots.

YOU GET STRONG AND BIG AT ALL REP RANGES. IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR 1RM YOU TRAIN CLOSER TO IT. IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

The only difference between bodybuilders and powerlifters is bodybuilders spend much more time on assistance work for looks, while powerlifters usually do variations of the main lifts and assistance work just to help the main lift. They don't care about muscles that doesn't help them get stronger.

Bodybuilders also care much more what they eat since looks are mostly diet, while powerlifters generally just bulk or maintain.

These are all generalizations obivously, but this is what creates the differences, not fucking rep ranges. A lot of powerlifters train high volume as well.

I don't give a fuck about strength, just want aesthetics. What is the best beginner routine for this?

PPL with a pyramiding rep scheme

OP theres a bunch of trolls here. Do SS for at least 6 months + accessoriew (curls, lat raises, tricep inverted curls, etc). Then see if you like the gains. Change routine if not.

It's a pretty good back and glute builder imo

What if I don't really care about my looks, but want to gain about 3-5 kg of muscle until june next year?

roids and a 5 day split

a strength routine with accessories

Do reddits beginner program.

roids

Not him, is there a way to do a 5 day split without roids for aesthetics or I'll end up losing weight?

if by 5 day split you mean one/two muscle groups per workout, i.e. once a week, then no, it's not good for natties

it's better to have a minimum of 2x times per week per muscle group, more if you can program it correctly

It's a good routine. Where people seem to go wrong is with their expectations. It's not going to make you look like Zyzz a year from now, although there isn't a program in existence that will do that, it's not even going to make you look like you lift for the most part.

What it will do however is get you a respectable squat, bench, OHP and deadlift in as little time as possible. From there it's about choosing a good intermediate program and that's really where your journey starts. If you want to focus on strength Texts method or Madcow is good. If you want strength with a bit of volume work for size Candio's 6 week program is good. If you want higher volume for hypertrophy something like lean gains or Lyme McDonald's bulking program is fine.

The fact is as a natural lifter you need to manage your expectations. You're only going to start looking like you lift after a year or two of consistent lifting. You can get a 3pl8 squat and 4pl8 deadlift without looking very impressive fairly easily. Building noticeable amounts of muscle as a natty takes time. Lots of time. And starting strength, a program designed to be run for 6 months to a year for most people, isn't going to do that. Not in any huge way anyway. But then again no program is so don't go looking for it. The only way to get ripped quick is to roid, that's just a fact. But you can get a good amount of weight on the bar quickly with SS and that's a great start because when you start to do higher volume work you'll be doing sets of 10 or 12 reps with 70-80% of your 1RM and it'll be 100kg plus, rather than squatting 40kg for 10 reps which isn't going to do fuck all.

In short, if you're natty strap yourself in for a long haul and do it right by doing SS first. And I mean like 3-5 years to look like you lift, because that's what it'll take. That's the truth of the natty life.

Thanks for the explanation brah, was on the fence about trying SS. Gonna give it a try for at least 3-4 months now. Thanks also for giving info about realistic expectations.

>Gonna give it a try for at least 3-4 months now.

Its at max a six month program. What is it you're expecting to see in that tiny tiny window of "improvement"

It's really a program you're suppose to run until you stop seeing linear progression. That could be 6 months for some people, so people have run it for a year or more. It really depends on genetics, diet, sleep and training consistency how much an individual will get it from.

6 months may be a fair guesstimate for most people but to say it's definitely a 6 month program max is just wrong. Of you can keep running it and add another 30kg to your squat for example you should.

Im not sure why this "SS is a 6 month program" meme became so popular. It's the clearest indication to me the person saying hasn't read the book and has no real understanding of the program.

Not the user your responding to but also track your lifts on symetricstrength.com honestly probably the best way to see how your body is progressing. Usually youll hit intermediate in about 6-8months. On SS i recommend to add 1cardio day which includes corework. And if your skelly 500+ surplus over maintaince or even 300 is fine.