Wow I fucked up. Why the fuck didn't I major in History?

Wow I fucked up. Why the fuck didn't I major in History?

I would have graduated earlier, done better, with a degree I'm more interested in.

More employment opportunities as a result being more interested / actual drive to go to grad school.

Why the fuck did I do that, I had a clear path and fucked it up.

I'm a waste of opportunities and education .

What country / period most exemplifies this feel?

Weimar Germany

Is this some cruel joke? I'm studying history and i regret the day i came upon the decision.

My only solace in life is that i'll inherit some money which will allow me to live like a NEET for at least a decade or two before i off myself.

It really isnt. I wish I did History.

I'm CS now and regret it

I would have enjoyed a History with a Math minor infinitely more.

I have no desire to work in CS or go to grad school.

In high-school I loved it and wouldn't have minded teaching at all. And I took college level history and enjoyed it and also read on the side.

I would have graduated from History in 2 years instead of 4 with CS

Fucking regretful.

I probably would have enjoyed history grad school

I went for history because it was the only thing i liked in HS and because i had no idea what to major in. Worst decision ever. I've lost my enthusiasm after a year or so and now i can barely make myself to finish the goddamn thing. I'm considering dropping out but then i remember i wasted 4 years on it so that would be an even more regretful decision. The only good thing is that i have no student loans or anything (Yurop lol), if i had i'd kill myself long ago.

Unless you're a richfag never academically pursue your heart's desires. Always go where the money is. With history the only thing you can really do is teach, which pays like shit and the race to the available positions in schools is hellish.

>I've lost my enthusiasm after a year
that's because you never really liked the academic study of history. you liked it because it was mildly interesting and easy to learn, like a lot of people. OP is right, if you are really dedicated you can make something from it, but you shouldn't be going in because you "had no idea what to major in". but you need to actually be willing to pump many years into the program and attend extra shit. also history is a good degree to branch out with, there are a lot of applicable skills and shit. language in particular is always useful to companies and the government.

I'm unemployable WITH a cs degree. I'd be more employable with history because I'd actually give a shit.

The money is not worth following. Big numbers for the sake of big numbers us trash

this board is cancer

>Veeky Forums - Advice

>fell for the trade school meme
>make only $25.60 after 3 months at my job
>meanwhile university grads are making $35/h starting and have higher prestige in society

It could be worse, you could be a working class loser like me

IS $25 meant to be low

History major here
Didn't pursue grad because academic positions are farmed out of top 25 schools and unless you get in those you're fucked.
Went into law instead and work on criminal stuff and love it. turned out a major reason i loved history was the reading and analysis, the exciting stories, and I get a lot of that in law too.
I wouldn't give up on CS just because you're a little burned out right now, you might find it stimulating and challenging after a while in a positive way, or you might think it's just a job, in which case thankfully there are many hours in a week where you're not working where you can pursue a hobby

I'm currently a history major. Do you have to go to a good law school to find work after?

I'm not burned out in Cs. It sucks and I 100% know I will never work a cs job both from lack and interest and too incompetent

I think you might be shocked, the CS market is so understaffed right now complete boobs can get a cushy job
Most people have a job they aren't passionate about, it's part of growing up for many people, and it's unfortunate, but real. Find nice hobbies and work/life might balance out better than you think

You don't have to go to a good law school to find work after. I don't go to a particularly prestigious law school now, but the market is coming back for it. Also, I think the top 20% of any law class will find a decent job quickly, and everyone else will have to work a little harder, but I don't think it's impossible for if you put in a decent amount of effort.
Lack of prestige does have some limitations for some of the highly competitive jobs, like federal clerkships, massive firm jobs, and some other things, but lack of prestige in a law school shouldn't stop anyone from being competent and good at what they do

Yes, even used cars are 15k now and the average house is 600k in medium sized cities

Man we live in different worlds

Got two tips for you senpai:
1. Read a shitload of history
2. Make videos on youtube about history

I've got 2,000 subscribers just from making one ~20 min video a month for the last year. Its not hard at all.

>the average house is 600k in medium sized cities
Glad I don't live in one of those hellholes. This house was only 120K

I'm not comfortable showing me face and am bad at speaking .

Link your channel.

Thanks for that. What was your GPA leaving undergrad if you dont mind me asking?

>25.60
>only three months in
There are people who have been with the same company for DECADES and still make $16.00 an hour. Three months is fucking nothing, stick with it for a few years and you'll see.

>Showing face
No, no, no, its a Video Podcast. ie, me and my buddy (who majored in history) talk about bullshit for 30 minutes, then I edit the audio, clean it up, and then slap in pictures relevant to the discussion as it goes along. This is the episode I'm working on now. Its ~40% done.
I was bad at speaking when I started this too, but editing fixes everything.

3.18 gpa leaving a mediocre undergrad, with a few Fs and Ds, got into Ok law school with decent lsat, worked my ass off, and now work in a major metro doing what I want. You can royally fuck up in undergrad and still do what you want, but it requires harder work later. Better to work hard now and doors stay open longer and are easier to open
Good luck

Get over it?

Kinda know that feel.
I was in a humanities college within a broader university. Sadly a bunch of campus politics led to its destruction. By which I mean, a bunch of bitchy students hated its use of the western canon, left the college to get sociology/business degrees, then turned around and tried to turn my major into another sociology degree (proposed changes left it a humanities degree in name, but the curriculum they wanted was clearly pulled out of a sociology major). Oh, and the thrashing those white kids dished out on any minorities who liked things as they were was pretty great. KKK tier.
I transferred to history, because unlike those vindictive controlling cunts, I actually liked what they wanted to erase.
That was pretty fun, but campus politics was still super pervasive. I'm shocked at some of the topics they covered though. For instance, the africans actually played a role in the slave trade. One of the students unironically asked if we should report things like this that were "dangerous." Part of me died inside.
Spring quarter of last year, near the end, my professor talked about the Frankfurt school, and how Marx "had some great ideas, but we can take them further." See, I always thought cultural Marxism was a meme from conspiracy theorists, but my professor unironically woke me up to that one. Studying postmodernism and poststructuralism just made me depressed. It was clearly such sophistic bullshit.
I wasted even more than you because I dropped out. I loved the learning, but I hated the work. My professors were smart and they knew their shit, but they were ideologues rather than academics. My peers would never shut the fuck up about politics and I had to grit my teeth to network. It's one thing to be PC, sure, I can do that, but the unceasing torrent of politics 24/7 made me want to neck myself.
I am so disillusioned with academia. I can't go back. I just want to learn.

Sounds like you’re a weak ass bitch who lacked the diligence to do the work and keep going forward.
Sure, anyone can read and learn on their own, but universities teach you to think better. Upper level history teaches how to write and research in ways that a high school or some college education just doesn’t prepare people for. Good ones also do have scholarly sources with differing views and encourage self expression. Most profs, not students, are very accommodating to differing views if they are well executed and it should not hurt anyone academically.

My program was actually pretty cool in that it prepared you in advance for gradschool by doing a lot of historiography and research instruction. That factors into why I left. I had the tools to be successful on my own, though perhaps not the databases. Even so, google scholar is good enough most of the time. Having a job sucks, but I unironically enjoy my life a lot more now. I can study and follow where my curiosity takes me. I can learn at my own pace, and pick and choose. I'm not crammed into a major and forbidden from tackling interesting subjects in other areas. My other complaint that I couldn't fit in was the restrictive nature of it all.
Ultimately I know that I won't be as successful as I could have been, had I slogged through it. I could have networked, I could have gotten so many things. But on a point of principal, I can't in good conscience support an institution that purports to impartially educate people when it is so blatantly partisan. Yes, I have my own problems, and I have the humility to admit to them. But attacks on my character don't invalidate my objections to the state of academia.
People have told me that I'm a real academic, an ideas man, that somehow, I belong there, and I'll die of boredom outside of it. Apparently that's because I talk about ideas all the time. I think there's some truth to what they say, but I'm also stubborn enough that I'm comfortable shooting myself in the foot. At least for now. Let's see how much I resent my decision in a few years. I'm still young enough to have life to waste on shitty decisions.

thanks

>25.60 an hour is low

I fucking hate you and I hope you fucking die you cunt

>Youtube

but the youtube makey no money

>but universities teach you to think better
ahahahhahahahahahahah

>more employment opportunities
>librarian
>giving 10 second bites to the History Channel if you suit their agenda
What could you possibly be doing to make those good opportunities?

Being a librarian would be rad.

It's one of the lowest paid jobs that requires a degree if I'm remembering right. Its definitely a job you do out of passion. Even then though most librarians where I'm from are stuck-up miserable bastards.

Yeah, but Masters of Library Science degrees are pursued almost entirely by women.
Stay fit and dress well, and you'll be like that one guy in nursing - everyone will think you're gay.

As in waste of potential, Galois was an absolute genius, abstract alebra got much of it's foundation thanks to him, and proved that it is impossible to developed a formula for the roots of a polynomial of degree five or more. Then he fucked up and died in a duel at 21.

Now I want to watch an anime about an olympic athlete from East Germany

this

>Always wanted to study and do good in history at school
>Eventually have this idea in my head I would do a history bachelors and work towards a museum gig or something
>Used to be known as "the hitler kid" due to my obsession with history channel WW2 documentaries
>Pass through school with mediocre grades and a pathetic D in history
>Eventually decide on studying Chinese language at university with Russian and some "cultural" modules
>These modules and following assignments make me want to kms they are so incredibly boring
>Realise most my spare time is spent reading modern history anyway, if I was on a history degree I could be making notes and jotting down references for essays at the same time

>Fell for the trade school meme
>working at a chemical processing plant
>only get 18 and hour
>12 hour rotating shifts
>always get called in on my days off
>chemicals and never getting sleep makes me physically ache and I feel constantly sick
>literally have no social life
>save up my money
>quit
>move back in with parents
>go to some shitty meme school for IT
Trades suck dick.

Where are you and what job? The operators I work with make at least like $25/hr plus all the overtime and holiday pay and shit. They destroy themselves with the shift work, but they definitely make a bunch of money.

Were you some kind of maintenance tech or something? I'm not sure what those guys make but it's probably a lot less. And if you're regularly getting exposed to chemicals that's not ok you're probably better off leaving that place before they kill someone.

It is pretty low for anyone that doesn't want to live in Middle America. This is the secret behind so much confusion on wages: people want to live near the cities where actual even moderately exciting things happen and where there's energy in life, and it is right to complain that 25.60 is somewhat low for living in/near a city. I am completely for revitalizing inner-America and making it more viable to educated young people, but currently that is not the case.

I don't want excitrment. Leave me alone. And $25 isn't low even in a city

It's certainly in the lower end. And most people are not like you.

What are you majoring in?

>What country / period most exemplifies this feel?

Middle Earth?

Computer science

I can't speak to success but I think the best approach is a compromise. I like history but I knew there wouldn't be a job in it so I am aiming for intelligence/national security stuff. So far I haven't gotten anywhere so I am returning for a certificate but that is because I had no internships and no strong experience in the field.

I don't think there's any way to make the rural more appealing to those seeking an urban lifestyle without fundamentally transforming the rural into the urban.
One of the patterns I've noticed in history: rural and urban people are always at one another's throats. The rural want the city folk with their bullshit ideas to butt out of their business and stop moving out there, and the urban want those rural retards to stop being so fucking backwards and do it the newer and better way.
Personally, I'd rather we just leave each other alone and assist people in moving where they'd be most happy. Most people just want to have a family, raise their kids, and be a happy part of the community. For the most part, we have that, and I figure more people would have that if we'd stop trying to dictate the lives of others.

Fuck off you commie faggot academia is notoriously infested with insufferable Marxists

I'm going to die