Why train squats 3 times a week and only train BP and OHP once or twice depending on the week?

Why train squats 3 times a week and only train BP and OHP once or twice depending on the week?

Why no pull ups? Don't they move more muscles than chin ups? And they also pave your way to muscle ups.

Why everyone says the goal to SS is 1/2/3/4? I don't think 1pl8 at OHP is comparable to 4pl8 at DL. I have reached that OHP goal long ago and havent managed to DL more than 3.5 pl8 (Although maybe I'm afraid fo DL too much, not sure if my technique is correct)

Why are my arms skinny straws yet I don't see bigger guys in the gym lifting more than I do?

Picture unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

strengthvillain.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My threads never get replies, am I that terrible at writing OPs?

>Why train squats 3 times a week and only train BP and OHP once or twice depending on the week?
squats trains very large muscles in lower body and back and core. getting good at squats will help you get better at all other lifts as well, specially when you're a beginner following SL or SS
>Why no pull ups? Don't they move more muscles than chin ups?
who says no pullups? it just varies from routine to routine
>Why everyone says the goal to SS is 1/2/3/4?
it's not. it is only if you want to keep focusing mostly on strength. otherwise there's a bunch of other programs out there
>Why are my arms skinny straws yet I don't see bigger guys in the gym lifting more than I do?
strength =/= size. a person who's been doing strength training has trained his nervous system into making the most out of every fiber of muscle he has, while normies who do 3x15 on machines have more bulky, watery muscles
>My threads never get replies, am I that terrible at writing OPs?
your thread is boring, few people wanna bother answering specific, personalized questions that aren't going to lead to an interesting thread

source on that gif?

>watery muscles
but WHAT could he have meant by this? ? ?

>chin-ups
chins are easier for a beginner to start with, and work the bis more (particularly good when you are doing no arms isolation). I don't think pull-ups work more muscles, they just put you in a mechanical disadvantage

>small arms
One ore many of: genetics, bad diet, not hypertrophy arm isolations, dismorphia, general weakness and dyelness

>boring
I think its an interesting thread

on 4chin is hit or miss, completely different results depending on the day, most of the times success here is VERY random

iktfb have a bump

also this

girl is anjelica ebbi or some shit don't know gif

>anjelica ebbi
I am fucking amazed that that's an actual name and not the result of you randomly hitting the keyboard

Watery is a terrible word to use, he means theyre not as dense.

But SS tells me to increase weight every week, however 1 week I train either BP or OHP only once, is it really a good idea to increase weight after only 15 reps?

Were you able to lift the increased load for 15 reps? If yes, then it was a good idea to increase the weight.

Have you actually lift? Like actually hit the gym and do the program? If you did you would know adding weight every session is very much possible for the next few months.

I have, it's an honest question.
I just wonder if I increase my squat easier than my OHP because I do it more or because the muscles I'm training.
Im just a month in.

>Why are my arms skinny straws yet I don't see bigger guys in the gym lifting more than I do?
If you see a dude that's absolutely jacked and you notice he's consistently doing random stupid shit with baby weight, he's on gear 9/10.

>watery muscles
sarcoplasmic hypertrophy

>Why train squats 3 times a week and only train BP and OHP once or twice depending on the week?

Because squats will allow your body to pack the maximum amount of muscle in the least amount of time. This is not because it's a magical lift but because you can increase your squat for a long time in a linear fashion. No matter how much you try you can't increase your bench 7.5kg per week; but you can increase your squat.

>Why no pull ups? Don't they move more muscles than chin ups? And they also pave your way to muscle ups.

You can add pull-ups.

>Why everyone says the goal to SS is 1/2/3/4? I don't think 1pl8 at OHP is comparable to 4pl8 at DL. I have reached that OHP goal long ago and havent managed to DL more than 3.5 pl8 (Although maybe I'm afraid fo DL too much, not sure if my technique is correct)

1pl8 OHP is harder than 4pl8 deadlift unless you're fat. Also technique. A full ROM OHP makes OHP harder, a shitty Deadlift form makes Deadlift harder. The probem is you can do a half ROM OHP and claim you can OHP 1pl8 but you can't do the same for deadlift.

You fucked up your diet and sleep. "Skinny straws" is impossible to have if you can deadlift 3.5 and OHP 1.

Is everyone Veeky Forums mentally handicapped for fucks sake.
Learn to fucking reverse image search you pleb. Fucking sick of you normies coming in here.

fuck me I should not have googled this succubus, she's going to sap all of my energy

>You fucked up your diet and sleep. "Skinny straws" is impossible to have if you can deadlift 3.5 and OHP 1.
I'm talking of one rep max though.

So you should be working with:

For Deadlift: 160*0.8= 128kg x 5
For OHP: 60*0.8= 48kg x 5

Still no reason to have "skinny straws". It is quite possible however to have them buried under flabby fat if you're too fat(>15% bodyfat)

This is me
My guns look like fucking spears

It takes a long time to get huge arms don't worry about it. Make sure you do either chin ups, pull ups or rows on your non deadlift days and try and progress them like the other lifts.
Also there are better programs than SS you should look into

Because bench works your shoulders too, and OHP works your upper chest. Not extremly much, but enough to affect your performance on whichever exercise you would do second.

Such as?

Because most rank beginners have, along with being weak in general, disproportionaly weak legs. Focusing on squatting brings their bodies into proportion and builds proper movement patterns that prevent injury during training and general activities.

>Why no pull ups? Don't they move more muscles than chin ups? And they also pave your way to muscle ups.
Pull-ups do hit the lats more, but chins work the arms more so you can skip arm isolation without having noodle arms. Plus, they are easier for a beginner. At the end of the day it's personal preference. Alternating them isn't a bad idea once you get the hang of both.

1/2/3/3.5 would be a more proportionate goal, but at the end of the day the exact ratio is down to proportions and other genetically determined factors. 1/2/3/4 is round and simple so that is a big part of the appeal. But once you hit that for reps you know you are no longer weak by any normie standards and are virtually guaranteed to look decent unless you're fat or a 6'5"+ lanklet.

Because 90% of all lifters do brosplits with lots of arm isolations. Having big arms is easily achievable (just buy some plate loaded dumbbells that go up to 30-40kg and have at it for six months,) squatting 180kg (atg, without a belt) is much, much harder - it also leads to a more balanced body and ability to do real work. Choose your path.

You train squats (lower body push) 3x week and an upper body push 3x week too. That seems fair and balanced to me
>Why no pull ups? Don't they move more muscles than chin ups?
No. Same exact amount of muscles, a bit different mechanics.
>And they also pave your way to muscle ups.
Yes. If muscle ups are your goal, train pull ups.
1) milestone ≠ goal, look it up
>I don't think 1pl8 at OHP is comparable to 4pl8 at DL.
You are correct, it's just that 1/2/3/4 is "not too far off" in terms of muscle balance and simple to write
You have accumulated less training volume (they have been training for a longer time). Give it 3 years, and eat well. Strength is but a factor in size gain
>My threads never get replies, am I that terrible at writing OPs?
Not enough memes or repeating digits
Check this out

"You're a big guy"

Poor formatting and too much text, plus a gif as the thread image.

GreySkull LP is widely accepted as one of if not the best novice program for strength+aesthetics

UUUU

U U U U
U
U
U

This.
Greyskull LP is definitely the best beginner routine. It is very similar to SS and SL, but the minor tweaks make it possible to squeeze progress out of it a bit faster and longer, plus it gives you a slightly more aesthetic physique.

4 4
4 4
4 4
4 4 4 4

Was writing those words part of your plan?

I did squats three times a week on SL and it was great at building strength and putting weight on the bar for squat and DL, which to me are the best two lifts for overall strength. So I get why it's probably the most beneficial thing to do for people just starting. They need to develop their core and posterior chain more than anything because all other lifts depend on that and it's dogshit for most of the untrained population.

Where it changed for me was when I hit intermediate. I started with TM and was still squatting 3 times a week and it was just a fucking grind. I switched to Candito 6 week and only squat and DL twice a week (although there's more sets of DL) and bench/OHP three times a week. It's more enjoyable, I've seen much more upper body development and just generally feels more productive than grinding out another set of squats.

As for the whole 1/2/3/4 goal on SS, that's total BS. Same as the whole "SS is a 6 month program" shit people also sling about. It's the biggest indication someone doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about. The program runs until you stop making linear progress, whether that's after 6 months or a year, or whether that's with a 2pl8 squat or a 3pl8 squat isn't the point. It all depends on the individual and how they train/recover.

You should be doing pullups or chinups on SS or on any beginner program really. They are an exercise everyone should do through their whole lifting career really. As for which to do its really down to preference. I prefer chins but I'd say work on both really.

SS tells you to increase the weight every workout session retard. So if you are hitting all the reps you should be increasing the weight three times a week, or adding 7.5kg every week instead of 2.5kg.

If you've only been increasing it every week you've been doing a shitty intermediate program and wasting your time massively. Start doing it properly and read the fucking book.

legs are a huge muscle and can adapt to stress way quicker than you shoulders

SS is a squat, a press and a pull every workout. You alternate the presses because they are both important and they overlap quite a bit. You alternate the pulls because deadlifting heavy 3 times a week is too much so you need something lighter inbetween. You don't alternate the squats because there's no point. You could in theory alternate with front squats or high bar squats.

Chins work more muscle mass so if you're going to pick one it's the better choice, but you could alternate with pullups.

They don't and it isn't, so this is a stupid question.

>I don't think 1pl8 at OHP is comparable to 4pl8 at DL. I have reached that OHP goal long ago and havent managed to DL more than 3.5 pl8 (Although maybe I'm afraid fo DL too much, not sure if my technique is correct)
How hard it is varies from person to persons

Because you don't eat enough food. It's common for beginners to just do the routine and expect muscles to magically appear, but you need to eat a surplus to make that happen. Diet is way more important than routine if your goal is appearance.

u are retarded, 1 plate ohp is easily attainable, ur a dumbshit

SAUCE

>other people can't possibly have experiences different from my own

You're a colossal douche. Some people find some lifts easier than others and everyone makes progress at a different rate on different lifts.

heh. yeah, maybe if you do every week perfectly and with perfect form from the start. and what are the chances?

Big muscles xan be trained 3x per week even more. Had a whole season where i did whole. Body erryday... Until failure.

>Because you don't eat enough food. It's common for beginners to just do the routine and expect muscles to magically appear, but you need to eat a surplus to make that happen. Diet is way more important than routine if your goal is appearance
That wasn't his question bro.

His question is why does he look DYEL and lift more than dudes who don't look quite as DYEL. You skirt around the issue, because if the other guys were doing what he does and simply eats more, wouldn't they also be stronger?

The real answer is strength vs. size. They are intertwined and you can't do the extreme of one without getting at least some of the other, but you can focus on on or the other to a point.

For instance, Ronnie Coleman was not only one of the biggest (in terms of lean mass) dudes to ever exist, especially for his height, but he was also probably the strongest Mr. Olympia ever. But his 800 lbs squat would not be world class in the super heavyweight category in which he would have competed in (if he had wanted to compete in it).

Similarly, look at the lower weight class olympic weightlifters. They're tiny as fuck but are strong as fuck. Some amateur gym bro is often bigger but nowhere near as strong.

i repped 3pl8 and have skinny straws brah
ohp admittedly has only been as high as 90lbs

ss is a bit imbalanced when it comes to upper/lower body. just add dips on the ohp workout and it becomes way more balanced, although it isnt ss anymore. but who gives a fugg

it might be ss kind of training is just not for you when it comes to gaining muscle. ive seen it happen before, especially myself. i started weak as fuck and now im at about 85/130/180/220 kg for 1RMs and my arms have only grown from 34cm to 36cm although ive gained 12 kilos while retaining my bf% at 13 or so. it might be genetic too but i noticed way more muscle gain in my arms when i switched to an upper lower and actually isolated my arms.

>Pull-ups do hit the lats more
they dont

It's really not that hard for the vast majority of it. When you stall you take a deloading and go again. What you didn't do is only progress by 2.5kg every week because you didn't understand the program.

Not OP but got a question for you guys.
What's the reasoning behind rotating between OHP/chin-ups and BP/curls while having fixed days for and DLing ? I assume it's a fullbody routine, but if you BP, curl and then squat you don't work your back, while the next workout you'll be doing chin-ups and DLs.
Also why 2x6-8 chin-ups ? I'm basing myself on this post strengthvillain.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89 .

Pic related is what seems like a more well-adjusted routine (even though I like the curls in the vanilla version) but I'd like to have other people's opinion on it.

this is the best way to "do SS"

Thoughts on Mehdis 5x5?

>reeeee
Sorry, nerd.

Isn't the progress a bit slower since you progress at 2.5 lbs each time?

This is my routine:

Alternating days:
Day1
Bench 8x10
Pull ups xf

Day 2
Ohp 8x10
Stomach vaccums
Hanging leg raisesxf

Rip legs

Your going to look disproportionate as fuck

Great beginner routine & useful for getting back into shape after being out for a long period, but you won't be able to maintain that level of progression for too long.

Do it till you fail 3-4 times in a row, then switch to an aesthetics or strength routine.

Tfw you diddylift 475 and squat 415 but have 14.5 inch arms

Do sum curls brah.

>dead 385x5
>bench 175x3

She only fucks her boyfriend, so you'll get over her soon

Better to increase when you're comfortable
Going autist and increasing every time because you did a set weight on one workout is going to cause problems

Bad idea.
You should never expect to lift a few plates with ease unles you can lift twice that weight for reps.

If you are a new lifter doing SS and you complete 3x5 of a certain weight you absolutely should add weight next session. Otherwise there is fuck all point in doing the program. You need progressive overload to drive adaptation or there is literally no point. If you stall and can't complete the 3x5 you try again and if you can't do it after two more sessions you take a 10% deload and work back up.

Or you can just be a faggot and pussy around with one weight until you feel nice and comfortable having made no progress for a week or two. Stop talking like you have any idea what you're talking about retard. There's nothing "autist" about making progress at a good pace and taking advantage of noob gains.

what happened to trappy?

That vid of left girl getting assfucked and liking it

interested as well

Actually, chin ups take the lats through full range of motion better than pull ups.

Pull ups are a bad "general strength" exercise compaired to chin ups (especially weighted).

With progressive overload, weighted chin ups will work more muscle mass over a longer range of motion.

>b-but pull-ups are master race because they're harder!
>muh patrician exercises

Can I strenghten my curl with progressive loads just like SS?

I'm guessing the pint of getting stronger lift is to eventually do stronger reps which make you look ripped as fuck?

If your goals are more upper body related, try this:

Two Days/Week Minimalist Program:

Lat pull down 3x5
Press 3x5
Sumo Deadlift 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Chin-ups (Bands -> Weighted) 3x5

Upper body lifts go up by 2.5 lbs a session.

Sumo goes up in 10's, then 5's, then 2.5's as you progress.

But pull ups are actually functional, in case you need to climb a wall or something.

her ass looks like one of those plane cushions

Yeah, you can.

So what? If you deadlift a couch, your hands will be in a supinated position. Does this mean we should do deadlifts with a supine grip? No. This is strength training. If you can do heavy weighted chins, you can pull yourself up a wall. It's not like your lats and biceps go on strike once you switch to a prone grip.

>strength=/=size
B...but it's not April fools yet, user...

Seriously though, unless you're a roider, strength and size have a pretty strong relationship.

Not anywhere near as strong as Veeky Forums thinks.