Post what/why you got into history. I'll start, pic related

Post what/why you got into history. I'll start, pic related.

I can credit almost all of my historical interest to that game (and AoE III)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZaMAsVOsSOg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OP here, I should clarify:

The campaigns were so well done and all the little details have kept me hooked ever since I first played it when I was 9 or so

I picked up a book about napoleon.

Good pick user! Rise of nation's for me

Which book? My favorite was end of the old order but the series was never finished

Don't remember, i got it from the school library.
It was just called "napoleon" and had a complete record of his life.

AoE II for me too, Rome total war and Rise of nations also.

This is kinda me too!!
That, and my grandmother took me to different historical sites and battlefields growing up when I would visit her in the Northeast over summer break

Grandad was a WWII veteran. War always interested me.

Reading Horrible Histories.

I had an awesome military history book for antiquity with pictures and plus AoE I, I was hooked by kindergarten. Even got detention for pretending to be a hoplite and punching another kid.

My first interest that I can remember is ancient Egypt and I have no idea what got me into it, was probably History Channel or library.

A mix of Civilization (1st one) and my place being a disintegrating shithole with a far more illustrious past (though as I was growing up literally any part of history of the region was glorious in comparison.)

this

Always had an interest in history but it didn't really take off until I started playing Rome Total War. It was like crack for 10 year old me.

I got into history through cooking (antique recipes and cooking methods) and also fashion.

I got into Veeky Forums from /int/

Lol fag

My 8th Grade history teacher. An awesome man and a good Christian, his classes on Early modern Europe sparked my interest on the subject

AoE1 for me

this game was cool

My father was always playing pic relatexd

What nation nigger
>tfw my great grandad was a fucked up shellshock Blackwatch veteran and made his son sign up for WW2 at 16

Game wise i followed the classic AoE2 > Civ4 >Eu3>vic2>CK2

>Play HoI4
>Get eye cancer
Who the fuck was behind this UI? Fucking Stellaris looks better

I'm from New Zealand, my country has a very rich history so the interest came naturally.

This!

I had a really good history teacher in the 10th Grade and I always did better in History than any other subject in HS. But I never was really into history outside of education until my first year at uni, where I took a first-year history course about the 20th century. I was really looking forward to learning about WW1 and the Cold War, but all I got was a bunch of women's suffrage and American race politics crap and WW1 was completely skipped, so I looked for things outside of school to learn that type of stuff. Eventually found Hardcore History, sped through Dan's WW1 show and started reading the books he used in his sources. Then I went to a bunch of other subjects through his podcasts, my favourites being Rome and Eastern Front WW2.

Not him but
>French
My grandad fell asleep under a tree then spent the rest of the way in a German POW camp. He lost all his teeth and came out looking like a skeleton.

Hooley shit. That takes me back...

Also I bet your dad plays Eurotruck simulator these days because he's clearly a high functioning German Autist.

I read The Guns of August and haven't turned back.

I thought this video was the greatest shit ever.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZaMAsVOsSOg

I was always sort of interested in history, I remember watching Horrible Histories as a kid. What really got me into it was watching quill18's EU3 Let's Play though.

From there I got into all the paradox games as well as Civ and Total War, which led me to proper history.

My gramps was a veteran and he always told me cool stories about Robinhood, William Tell and the mutiny on the bounty.

Lots of museums too.

that makes sense as this shitty board is just /int/ without retarded generals or flags

Age of Empires 1+Rise of Rome expansion for me.

Got it at Best Buy and it came with a thick instruction booklet that had a History section. Had never even heard about the Palmyran empire, Minoans, or Yamato before that.

Age of Empires 1+Rise of Rome expansion for me.

Got it at Best Buy and it came with a thick instruction booklet that had a History section. Had never even heard about the Palmyran empire, Minoans, or Yamato before that.

this x2, first one i got was the medieval one, still funny as fuck a decade later

Dayum how old was he to remember all that stuff?

lol

Occasionally good tings come from France.

Patrician taste, my good sir

My dad used to work for a museum and I remember him taking me into the store rooms to hold all the swords and guns when I was really young. That and as a family we used to visit a fuck load of castles, every time we were in a new town the first thing we would do is visit the local castle.

I’m now 22 and have just got my first full time job working for a Cathedral going through their collection.

that actually sounds fun as fuck. how's the pay? is it monotonous?

Im playing it right now and man, FUCK EGYPT, most broken fucking faction ever, they just keep coming, serves me right for playing with the Seleucids i guess

Eyewitness books. I remember in elementary school me and my friends would always check out this book at the library. We'd flip through it before recess and point out what imaginary weapons/armor from the book we had for the day.

I'm jealous user. I work at a small local museum in their collections but I'm sure a Cathedral has lots of cool stuff.

My man

Same here OP. I fell for the history major meme and it's thanks to this game and III. I loved reading the info summaries of each civ.

playing a Middle Eastern nation in Rome 1 always leads to every other Middle Eastern nation declaring war on you. No matter what or how you play, they always attack you

Musou games, unfortunately. Nobunaga Oda still my favorite historical figure.

Call of duty games....'nuff said..

>2007
>12 years old
>Play cod
>"why did this war happened?"
>started reading books on ww2
>ww2 leads me to ww1 and cold war
>things get pretty wild,knowledge expands rapidly
>learns ancient history
>learns medieval history
>learns political history
>history channel and other military documentary
>History has also redpilled me
>got high score on history test
>mom is proud of me
>mom buys more cod,historical games and history documentary CD for me

good times....wish i can rewind time back to 2007

US History got me started 2bh, fell in love with story of the Revolution for some reason and everything the men who fought it stood for.

I used to read Wikipedia for fun. So much that to normies all used to say/still do:
>WOW user YOU KNOW SO MUCH
Honestly beyond general hardcover reference books i havent read a lot of actual historical books.(working on some now actually) Except for the world wars. Ive read an unhealthy amount from then. Everything from memoirs to films, documentaries.

I also clearly remember my mom showing me this bin we had. It was filled with old newspapers like when me and siblings were born ect. But there were tonnes of historical ones too. Probably at least 20 directly from WW2 and my fav was one that i still have. Origional from August 1914 about WWI starting. Its still readable, and in decent condition for its age (a few rips but nothing bad)
>If anyone could point me to a source of how to preserve it best I would be thankful. I took it out of that massive bin and put it neatly in a big ass desk drawer by itself in my basement.
this too. Grandpa/Grandmother got me interested in so many diff things when he used to tell me about when he was a kid and bombed raids in WW2. He used to tell me about when he was in the RAF during Korea, and even though he never went overseas i used to hang off every word. He also showed me a classic war movies like Zulu and pic related when i was 8. Hooked ever since.

Age of Mythology, Rise of Nations, Civilization IV, AOE III

Vidya, Horrible Histories and Asterix.

Unit descriptions in Rome TW mods

Lol I remember my 1st Carthage game where I took some city in Southern Egypt and I'd get attacked every other turn by full stack Egyptian armies and I held like 20 of them off using like 3 Poeni Infantry and 1 slinger unit. Then I just sent a big ass army with elephants and beat them down hard.

Liked it all the way back in primary school and never stopped liking it

Age of empires iii campaign is one of if not the best in the genre. Soon rewarding and satisfying for a single player game. All the age campaigns actually. That franchise is second to absolutely none.

So* goddamnit

This right here, with the specific vidya in question being Medal of Honor on the PS1 then Dynasty Warriors 2-4

AoE 2 also and this

AoE, Cossacks, Europa Universalis but most of all there was a game by a French studio (Microids) called Corsairs or something.

That was a fun game.

I would probably attribute my initial interest to Hearts of Iron II, and the Kaiserreich mod.

I like Hoi4 and all, but sometimes it seems too simplistic. Hoi3 was just a mess though, I never even bothered to learn that game.

My dad would tell me stories of my family before going to sleep. Then my parents got me fun little books about knights, dinosaurs, then after it was more informative books full of pictures, like pic related. Then I got Age of Empires: the Age of Kings for DS, my first of many historical games.

As long as you're referring to any Call of Duty pre-Cod 3. The original, CoD 2, and Finest Hour on the ps2/xbox where the last of the greats when it comes to World War 2 shooters, at least in the mainstream.

>wwii
>posts poppies