Is there any phenomenon in history comparable to modern "nerd culture"?

Is there any phenomenon in history comparable to modern "nerd culture"?

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/6651021/Japanese-gamer-marries-Nintendo-DS-character.html
comicbook.com/anime/2017/11/24/anime-fans-marry-characters-japan-waifu-manga/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I hope my shelves of books don't make me just like this person

oh my, they should really spend some of that money on a vacuum cleaner

To be fair, his carpet is probably saturated with pussy juice.

I doubt it

Comparable in what way? In terms of spending, dedication, obsession, the formulation of a sub-culture out of something that was (and to some extent is) looked down upon or what OP

Reading in the 18th/19th centuries.

There's a reason we call them "novels."

Medieval monks maybe

I came here to post both of these. Monks were the nerds of the middle ages. Some of our enduring "mysteries" in art and literature were memes they passed between each other, like Knights fighting Snails (a reference to their gardening). Yes, they had image macro's they'd send to each other.

After that, reading in general. The worlds first moral panic was over a romance novel. People were afraid it would inspire youths to commit suicide.

just tabletop desu

various cults
>yfw austistically collecting holy relic is just modern soyboy culture but with faggy superhero junk

>Toxicity exceeded 100%!

IIRC there was an article recently that demonstrated Apple displays all the facets of a religion/cult

Christianity.

>experts are usually more intellectual people
>consumes some peoples' entires lives, neglecting everything else
>endless debates and fan theories, arguing about what is canon and not
>buying paraphernalia

>yfw austistically collecting holy relic is just modern soyboy culture but with faggy superhero junk
Not quite, unless you're talking about the people who collect bits of costumes the actors wore or some shit like that.

But monks actually believed in the religions they practiced. Does the average nerd belie in Mario or Pokemon in the same way?

Most plebs can't afford that kind of stuff so the next best thing to waste money on is 1st edition collectors bobble-heads. If they had the money I bet most would buy actual movie props. Think about a fan of some soyboy franchise that probably knows more about the expanded universe of marvel or star-wars than a medieval priest knows about Christianity.

telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/6651021/Japanese-gamer-marries-Nintendo-DS-character.html

comicbook.com/anime/2017/11/24/anime-fans-marry-characters-japan-waifu-manga/

The Bubonic plague.

>some soyboy franchise
What does that even mean?

You're still off the mark with this. Sports fandom is closer to what medieval Christianity was like.

I think you need a modern economy with artificial scarcity as a justification for collecting pop vinyls

Unironically this. Extreme religiousity is just a different kind of nerdom.

>The worlds first moral panic

You can not seriously believe this. Not even the first recorded moral panic