Veeky Forums what do you think of dark chocolate? Are there health benefits to eating it on a regular basis?

Veeky Forums what do you think of dark chocolate? Are there health benefits to eating it on a regular basis?

Other urls found in this thread:

hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/butter-is-not-back-limiting-saturated-fat-still-best-for-heart-health/
authoritynutrition.com/saturated-fat-good-or-bad/
athero.org/commentaries/comm564.pdf
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/92/2/458.full.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=a-Tx9dCbv-g
youtube.com/watch?v=3Wi9dzkTiU4
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6142348/
time.com/4386248/fat-butter-nutrition-health/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's the shit, fuck the haters that can't appreciate it.

>antioxidants
>healthy fat
>longest living person ate dark chocolate everyday

you tell me

I hear your gf is a big fan

>healthy fat
Outright lie. It's mostly saturated fats.

It's still great though. Get one that's at least 70% cacao. Great source of fiber and antioxidants and once you've developed a taste for it, you'll love it.

>>healthy fat
>Outright lie. It's mostly saturated fats.
and who told you satured fats are not healthy?

Are you being stupid on purpose in order to troll people?

Not even him but fuck you faggot

I have it as a treat sometimes but if you want to incorporate cocoa into your diet regularly, cocoa powder is better

What're some good ways to incorporate cocoa powder into a diet?

I love dark chocolate. I have a major sweet tooth so it took me a long time to like it but now I can't eat milk chocolate because it makes me feel sick.

The only benefit saturated fats provide is potentially increased testosterone levels (provided you body doesn't have enough cholesterol already). From that point on it's completely unessential for your body. It's kind of like sugar. It's not unhealthy per se, but it's not beneficial either so calling it healthy just because it doesn't necessarily harm you is completely retarded.

Every major health organization on Earth

Just bought some 86% cacao chocolate in bulk and have been eating a square (11 grams) a day. We'll see how it turns out.

I eat a square of 90% cocoa after dinner everyday for desert. I'm not too concerned with the health benefits.

It's really good in chilli. Also you can put it in smoothies/shakes

>saturated fats unhealthy

I lost

> It's kind of like sugar. It's not unhealthy per se, but it's not beneficial either

But they are directly unhealthy. Saturated fat increases your bad cholesterol, making it un-heart-healthy.

Cocoa powder in chili? Now there's an interesting idea. I may just have to try that.

>11grams
>its fucking nothing
Seriously, I eat at least 50g when I open a pack, but that might just be me.

>saturated fats
>kind of like sugar

it was funny at first but now you need to stop

Hi guys

Kinobody here

For opitmal gains, well I just stick that green and blacks chocolate up my ass

Then I rub pop chips on my abs(naughty abs) he he

Today's work out is gonna be legs and abs

*jumps in place for 10 second* woo my legs are fried, I look forward to training them in the next 3 months

Be sure you to eat fries and chocolate after your work out

Enjoy your abs guys
*sips on soda water* heh

Yeah, but since cholesterol is a building block for every hormone, it's easier for your body to turn it into the hormones you need, best case scenario, you have a higher chance of heart disease but some pretty sweet T levels that'll help you make some better gains.

Well, currently I'm on a budget of about 1500 calories a day, and 11 grams is about 60 calories. It fits nicely into my diet as the dessert for the day.

So the saturated fats found in your eggs, high-quality grass fed milk, cheese, avocados, olive oil...all bad for you.

It's official folks. Time to throw out everything you know about nutrition.

hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/butter-is-not-back-limiting-saturated-fat-still-best-for-heart-health/

>butter is not back
>Many people fall back on carbs, especially refined carbs like white bread, when they reduce saturated fat in their diets, said senior author Frank Hu, professor of nutrition and epidemiology. This may in part explain findings from a controversial 2014 paper that called into question recommendations for limiting saturated fat for heart health, and led to headlines promoting the return of butter.
>“Our research does not exonerate saturated fat,” said Hu. “In terms of heart disease risk, saturated fat and refined carbohydrates appear to be similarly unhealthful.”

Are you saying sugar is unhealthy, because it sure as fuck is not.

You are soo fucking lost it's not even worth pointing you in the right direction...

10/10 for making me respond.

Educate yourself, fellow bros, so we can actually give proper information to people that seek knowledge here.
authoritynutrition.com/saturated-fat-good-or-bad/

I love it

>Yeah, but since cholesterol is a building block for every hormone

This is the start of a lot of broscience claims. That cholesterol is a precursor to steroid hormones doesn't mean that the more cholesterol you have, the more hormones are produced. If that were true, people with genetically high cholesterol levels above 1,000mg/dl would naturally look like Ronnie Coleman. There's not even a reason to think "cholesterol = testosterone" specifically, cholesterol is also a precursor to estrogen.

more

Oh and TL;DR for you lazy faggots
>Saturated fats have never been proven to be linked to arterial/heart disease
>Saturated fats actually increase HDL which works against arterial diseases by counteracting artery wall penetration
>If you don't eat enough saturated fats you actually increase your risks

Guys, this is now a 1990's nutrition thread. Post your "low in saturated fat" product labels.

>high-quality grass fed

The fact that you had to tack this on should tell you you're not talking about a healthy food. Yes, many of the foods you enjoy eating are probably bad for you. Avocados and olive oil aren't highly saturated though. If learning that cheese and eggs aren't good for you is throwing out everything you know about nutrition, learn nutrition from a better source than bodybuilding blogs.

kys fa m

ngghhh

yeye nigga
I recommend buying raw cocoa, seeing as most dark chocolate bars have the flavonoids removed.
They taste bitter but they are a wonderful anti-oxidant and are linked to increased cognitive function

dark chocolate comes directly from the plant. anyone who tells you it's not good is a faggot shill.

Chocolate is literally a fruit.

Meh... This doesn't do anything for me.

>eggs aren't good for you
I'll give you the cheese one but eggs are very good for you, particularly if you are a man and exercise regularly, theres a wealth of information on them.

There are anti chocolate shills?

>Meh

You must be low test.

Don't worry, maybe she's a chick with a dick and then you'll be happy.

Authoritynutrition doesn't represent any official health organization. It's a website supporting fringe diet advice.

He starts by claiming that small LDL particles are the only atherogenic LDL particles and that the larger particles that high saturated fat diets increase aren't unhealthy. This is a trick bullshit artists use, based on a misunderstanding of the confounding effects of different LDL particles on each other. Here's a Harvard researcher explaining this, and how both are atherogenic.

athero.org/commentaries/comm564.pdf

Then he posts this meta-analysis ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

Which, as posted here , one of the researches clarifies that this doesn't mean to say saturated fat isn't harmful. This paper was also criticized for using studies that adjusted their data to control for cholesterol concentrations, which would naturally lose the association between saturated fat and heart disease since cholesterol lies in the causal chain between those things.

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/92/2/458.full.pdf

If you'd like to see a video that explains these points more, here's a breakdown of the study

youtube.com/watch?v=a-Tx9dCbv-g
youtube.com/watch?v=3Wi9dzkTiU4

Nah she just looks ugly to me. I get to see attractive women daily (live on college campus), and they get me going.

I didn't claim more cholesterol=more testosterone

The point I was trying to make, was that cholesterol will potentially be turned into testosterone and it will only increase your testosterone if your body is lacking the building blocks at the moment. Once your body has it's building blocks, the rest of the cholesterol will remain in your heart and potentially damage your arteries.

>it will only increase your testosterone if your body is lacking the building blocks at the moment

How would it be?

>theres a wealth of information on them.

There's definitely a lot of marketing.

Not him, but you really can't go wrong with two eggs a day. I have seen some studies that there may not be that much bioavailability of vitamin D tho

>2 eggs a day

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6142348/

Same thing could be said about anything healthy.

Yeah right, my paleo crossfit instructor said it's good. Go suck an egg dude lmao. You think you know more than someone in the industry, really?

Bumping fir intelligent discussion

what does a regular basis mean u faggot? every day?

They just found a guy who is 140 something years old in Indonesia. I don't know if that's the person you are talking about though

Not the guy you were replying to.
I appreciate the approach you're proposing and I will check your sources.

>this doesn't mean to say saturated fat isn't harmful
Ok. OTOH I fail to see a statement in the opposite direction; and the previous researchers from ~25 years ago have been pretty debunked AFAIK

I see in the article conclusion that
>there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD
a "neutral" conclusion, if you like, but a pro-saturated-fats one if we compare this result with decades-long terror campaigns against saturated fats.
A nice take-home point from >hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/butter-is-not-back-limiting-saturated-fat-still-best-for-heart-health/
could be
>replacing 5% of energy intake from saturated fats with equivalent energy intake from either polyunsaturated fats, monounsaturated fats, or carbohydrates from whole grains was associated with 25%, 15%, and 9% lower risk of CHD, respectively
>On the other hand, swapping 5% of saturated fat calories for the same amount of refined carbohydrates and sugars did not change CHD risk
Saturated fats were demonized way more than refined carbs. But ok, it's _still better_ if we use olive oil (unsaturated) rather than butter (saturated).

>wanting to live for a long time
I use suicide grips so one day it becomes to much and it slips and i die.

One last thought: the Time has pushed in-depth articles promoting butter (supported by new scientific evidence). The last example of this campaign seems to be
>time.com/4386248/fat-butter-nutrition-health/
>June 29, 2016
>The creamy condiment is a “middle-of-the-road” food, nutritionally speaking—better than sugar, worse than olive oil—according to a new report, which adds to a growing body of research showing that the low-fat-diet trend was misguided
It's in-line with the articles you proposed. Except that sometimes they are interpreting the results "pushing" a pro-saturated fat agenda.
>This goes against the longstanding advice to avoid butter because it contains saturated fat.
and then
>To be clear, the new study doesn’t say butter is a health food

last addendum
>This is in line with the new thinking from a growing number of nutrition scientists who say that cutting back on fat, even the saturated kind, is doing more harm than good.
>even the saturated
>cutting the saturated kind is harmful
So they keep reading results from the low-fat high-refined-carbs diets in order to draw _explicit_ conclusions on saturated fats.

That's a nice heads-up to double-check everything reported in newspapers.

the same guys that told you to eat 10 servings of bread and pasta a day and gave milk it's own food group?

>my paleo crossfit instructor