How can I improve my bench press without a spotter and without dying?

how can I improve my bench press without a spotter and without dying?

I prefer working out alone when the gym is empty (that's around 8pm), however when it comes to chest exercises, I am really afraid of using a bench press because I feel what if I fail a rep, then I am fucked. This almost happened 2 days ago, I knew my last rep would be difficult but holy fucking fuck, I wasn't expecting it to go full blast mode at the last half. Thankfully adrenaline kicked in and I managed to pull through.

This is unlike in machines where you can push yourself to the limit without worrying too much about what's going to happen

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FQzzkGU5hGA
youtube.com/watch?v=fEUvI8Q6JDk
youtu.be/z_YfEeQvq9k?t=115
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The fear of death will make you stronger.

Focus on stability at all times.
Also go for 5*5 you can manage. If you cant go up 5lbs, stay at the same weight and do 5*6 until youre confident enough to increase the weight.

Also: doesnt your bench have those little safeties halfway up?

next time you bench
>go put like 80kg on
>do a couple of reps
>get stuck (pretend you can't push another)
>practice moving it down your body and standing up with it

solved. Its not scary unless you are benching really heavy which i doubt you are

Unless you're benching body crushing amounts of weight, you can do the roll of shame. Honestly though, once you surpass 2pl8, I'd ask for a spot.

>Also: doesnt your bench have those little safeties halfway up?
it does but for some reason I got too scared and was focusing on the top most one

I think I will stick to the machines or maybe try to set up the power rack, I mean no one is around anyway so fuck it.

Or just use safeties on a squat rack.
youtube.com/watch?v=FQzzkGU5hGA

You'll look like a complete autist, but at least you're still alive.

>tfw i used to bench with a completely flat back

Didn't know just how bad it was for my shoulders.

Bench with freeweights

Real men don't do this power rack bullshit. If I fail a rep I deserve to die.

if you cant lift it at the end of your set, just overhead deadlift it. This way you use your legs/back to safely get it off you

what if the entire bar slips of your hands and falls on you?

use lifting straps

>Failing a rep deserves death.

I like that idea

If I don't have one of my lifting bros with me I do high rep bench, db bench or weighted dips. Not ideal but what can you do. Also don't have to wait for a bench to be free :)

>ultra hd 4k kek
>300x168
This triggers my autism.

roll of shame works nicely for me, i bench 1pl8 but i imagine itll be less viable the stronger you get

Lol, would audibly kek if I saw a skelly roll of shaming 1 plate before rushing over to save you

Thank you.

Then what is an acceptable weight to roll off for you?

It's fine up to 2pl8 can confirm.
Also this guy has done it with over 150kg, with no injuries.
youtube.com/watch?v=fEUvI8Q6JDk

Learn how to roll of shame properly

youtu.be/z_YfEeQvq9k?t=115

Or do the power rack thing. Or work out when other people are around.

Stop being a fucking bitch. How about that?

When ever i am able to do 1x8, i increase the weight by 5kg.

Good luck brah.

Maybe 80? Never seen a roll IRL to be honest though, my gym is pretty good, if we see someone about to fuck up we run over and help

power rack

it's a perfectly average weight for a novice such as myself, and i'm glad you'd identify yourself by kekking so that other people would find out what a shitty humanbeing you are.

trying to hit them is suicidal. if the rep is too intense you can just take the bar back to the chst and do roll of shame/rest till you can push it again and you are safe, bcuz if u try to hit the lower safeties you can hit your head/throat, and thats where it gets dangerous

I just roll it over, no biggie, if you've never failed a rep you never tried hard enough imo

If your gym doesnt have safety bars for bench
>your gym management is retarded

tip top kek

OP, do not, under any circumstances other than benching lamokys1pl8 or less, do a roll of shame. You could seriously fuck your shit up by putting excessive weight on your chest or abdomen, like breaking a rib or rupturing an organ. Always dump if you are benching without a spotter and cannot push back up.

Can confirm. Tried to rack the weight on the lower "safeties" shortly after suffering from some inflammation in my elbow from some sort of impingement. Managed to rack it on one side and but landed on my face on the other side.

>trying to hit them is suicidal. if the rep is too intense you can just take the bar back to the chst and do roll of shame/rest till you can push it again and you are safe, bcuz if u try to hit the lower safeties you can hit your head/throat, and thats where it gets dangerous

This is correct. Never rack the weights unless your elbows are locked out. That is unless you want to tear your jaw off and be known as "sausage meat face" to everyone on the rehab ward.

Not OP. I once was benching lmao2pl8 and failed a rep. Slowly placed it on my chest and tried to dump the weight. Here's the scary part: the bench was so low that the bar touched the floor and got stuck. Luckily some guy saved my ass.

Sounds like shitty bar with not enough grease to keep it from rusting in a matter of months.

Prefer dumbbells. Your range of motion is better, contraction is better, the exercise is more compound whilst requiring less weight and basically it shits all over barbell.

Also when you fail the dumbbells can just drop.

How is the bar shitty if the weights slide down but cant get of because the bar is touching the floor?

>he thinks db press is better than bench
Hyeah, if you're a faggot.

You mean to tell me the weight"s" slid down but couldn't slide off?

Nice filename, mobilefag

nice stale meme, fagfag

home gym owner reporting in, i use pic related things, which i saw to the right high. until now i experienced only one failure, but it is nice to know that you dont have to roll the barbell over or some shit..

Yes, because the bar touched the floor.

If you use a regular bench, just land the bar on your abs if you can't manage the lift. Then roll the bar on your upper legs, and get it on the ground while standing up.

Or maybe get some custom made steel ones so you don't fuckin kill yourself.

So, you dumped too low, like a jackass.

How the fuck can I dump it higher if cant lift it?

A novice skeleton mate, could literally rep that when I was 15

it says that they support 400kg each, so i am far away form benching 800 kg...but yeah, when the weight goes up i might exchange them, but for now on it is safe enough

Fucking this.

Also, the bench probably has lower places to place it should you get halfway, no? If you are super paranoid set up a bench in a squat rack with the safety rails.

find a gym that has a safety bench. use a power rack that has safety racks. use the roll of "shame" (no one cares).

if you are benching less than 2plate, then actually stop being a pussy -- you don't need a spotter

That's 400kg sitting on it, right? Not shock. Drop a squat bar on it and see what happens.

I bench at home cause home gym mustard race and I bench in my squat rack. Safeties set at the right height means when I set myself as I should to bench, chest up with a deep breath, shoulders back, back arch, all that shit means I don't hit the safeties but if I fail a Rep I just relax and it hits the safeties easily.

Don't know if you can do that in a gym but worth a try maybe.

You don't have to lift it to pivot the bar on your chest. Just control it so one side is low enough for weights to slide. Seriously, youtube it.

>I knew my last rep would be difficult
>Thankfully adrenaline kicked in and I managed to pull through

Congratulations, you made gains and are stronger than you thought you were. All it took was the fear of death and not being a faggot. I fail to see the problem here.

Dumbbells.

well when doing a failure rep, its not like having zero power at all, therefore there is no shock because i lower the bar slowly until it stops on the wood. i mean i have the power to lower the bar slowly but not the power to push it back up

>80kg
>pretend you can't push another
>pretend

It's kind of sweet that you don't think I'm totally dyel.

am i the only one here who can ongly bench 40 kg?

everyone talks about 80kg like its nothing

what the fuck

use dumbell bench

so could I, i'm 22 now just got back to it

If you've lived a sedentary life, have a small frame and are escaping Auschwitz, it's not that weird.

If you can only hit that despite lifting for years, it's pretty fucking odd.

I started last week

Lived a sedetary livestyle for 20 years but I'm a 5'9 manlet. Benched 60kg after just a month or two, can't quite remember. Now currently stuck at 75kg.

that's normal. i started at 20kg having lived a completely sedentary lifestyle from day 1 pretty much. 5 months in i'm at 1 plate. keep going bro.

I feel bad for the kids who only played vidya in hs. I mean I could 135 for 4 my first day and I was one of the weaker dudes on my rugby team

how do you unrack anything that isn't bitch weight?

Bench****

and see where that got you, shitposting in Veeky Forums

If it's a weight you're capable of benching it's not hard to lift it one inch off the rack then swing forward an inch to clear it. It's not that hard, and if it is you're never going to be able to rep it out anyway.

If you're a powerlifter and need to test your genuine 1 rep max get someone to help you out the rack I suppose, but if you're not needing to test a 1RM it should never be a problem.

I was doing 85 freedom units for reps when I started lifting.
I was 12.

Don't worry bruh, my 1RM is 2pl8 now but it took ages to get there.

Look at it this way, you've got plenty of room to progress. When I started I was shaking all over the place, took me ages to hit 1pl8 solidly, all that shit. But at some point you hit a level of strength that just let's you progress much faster. All of a sudden adding 2.5kg ain't no thang whereas before it was a huge deal. You've got a lot of room to progress and that's a good thing, just like I've got a ton of room to progress compared to someone who benches 270kg. It's the guys at the top of the game who have to grind out tiny bits of progress to get anywhere.

George Leeman talked about it in a video a while back, about how he's kind of jealous of guys just starting out who maybe have a 100kg deadlift. Even though he pulls close to 1000lbs he has to fight and train like a mother fucked to add even a little bit to his PB at that level. So stop stressing where you are and enjoy the fact you've got plenty of open road ahead of you.

thanks bro