Is it worth learning a second language if you're a native English speaker?

Is it worth learning a second language if you're a native English speaker?

I'm thinking of learning Mandarin.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KE_DtGgovjc
forbes.com/sites/pascalemmanuelgobry/2014/03/21/want-to-know-the-language-of-the-future-the-data-suggests-it-could-be-french/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Of course not.

Don't. If you do, you'll have to deal with Chinese people.

no, fuck chinks..make them learn english

monetarily?? no, but I wish I could

My ancestors had no choice but to learn English when they came here from Poland. Let these entitled fuck new age immigrants learn it too.

WORST EMMA.

Here's everything you need to know in pic
TL;DR Don't

Spanish and French are good. Don't touch mandarin it's shit.

So glad you screencapped this. I was looking for it.

Yes it's worth if, but I'm not so sure if you should lean mandarin.

I went to China to teach english and learn mandarin. complete waste of time. for every one white guy that speaks english and chinese, there are going to be 100 chinese who speak english and chinese but will work for 1% of the price.

not worth it.

i completely agree with this post

I speak both of those and I'd love to speak mandarin

Google translate what the chink miners are doing.
>Profit???

I want to learn French and Japanese. But brainlet.

When were you in China? Not years ago right? It was an absolutely fuck fest from like 2013ish and before. I was banging a new girl every week.

i wanna learn spanish or french but dont have the enthusiasm for it. need to go to a class or something to learn it properly since im terrible with pronunciations. tried learning mandarin once and it was fuckin hard

>tfw no spanish gf

What language would have a better return on investment? Hebrew? Japanese? Something obscure like Georgian?

German or French if you want to bet on the USA crumbling over the years.

I was hoping somebody had this saved. Didn't feel like digging for it.

Russian or Japanese they're more relevant in the crypto world. Chinese will take forever to fucking learn.

came here to post this, thanks user

Is mandarin really that hard?

Wanted to start learning basic things. What would be the best way to go about it? Download rosetta stone?

Same here; would love to learn those two. Its not about being a brainlet, its just putting in the time. I think the more languages you know the easier it is to learn new ones.

Already know english and spanish fluently, would love to learn 2-3 more languages

It's hard because you have to make different tonal voices for a different word. But definitely consider Russian it'll be interesting to see the Russian government and crypto.

nobody is going to learn chinese, it will just slowly get more and more simplified with english getting used more. not to mention its only useful in china and who the fuck wants to go to china.

hong kong/singapore is the only place that speaks chink that's worth living. and both places have very high english availability because theyre not shitholes.

Depends entirely on your career desu

hong kong is merely an expensive shithole

Taiwan.
Some parts of mainland China are going to be nice places, despite what bigots say (mainland Chinese are looked down upon by other Han).

>German
Lol they'll all be speaking Arabic soon unless they rev up the gas chambers again.

>USA crumbling over the years.
It won't. But French is a good bet. German banked on Globalism and that is going out of fashion fast. Plus a civil war in 10 years probably will put a damper on things.

Why the fuck is French a good bet?
Is it really that widely spoken/useful to know?

>nobody is going to learn chinese, it will just slowly get more and more simplified with english getting used more
wut?

Also, is there an official chink language?
Do china, korea, japan, SE Asia have a language they each learn so they can do business amongst themselves, or is that just english?

Part of the reason i wanna learn mandarin is because i thought maybe a lot of places in SE asia use it as a second language

It is second to English. Still used in Africa (who cares) South East Asian (important), Polynesia (vacations and money laundering) and in Europe.

There is absolutely no purpose in learning Mandarin. Any Chinese businessman worth his weight in rice will speak English.

I wanted to learn mandarin or Cantonese given that many Australian capitals are like 10-50% Chinese now. It would probably help with business related situations.

Just like Russian though, it doesn't sound very good when you speak it. I ended up learning weeb instead

I learned French for gay reasons (muh literature, muh culture) and I have been shocked at how useful it's been in my career (corporate law). High saturation across Europe (and francophones are less likely to speak English than German speakers). Africa (way less business per person obv but tons of people there). Canada. Vietnam. Polynesia. French Caribbean. Lebanon.

It turns up in all kinds of places. It's commonly studied instead of (or alongside) English. I spoke French with an Iranian guy once because his French was better than his English, for example.

Ultimately it will depend on your career, though. If you are doing public-facing work in the US: Spanish. Japanese for tech. Russian Korean Arabic Farsi for military. German for engineering or non-tech STEM. Portuguese for plastic surgery. Italian for wine. Greek for banking. Latin for diddling. Ukrainian for trafficking. Etc etc.

Better start learning yiddish goy

I speak spanish italian and english and nope is not worth the effort stick with english

what changed in 2013? or is that when you left so you can't speak for later years?

nah, there are tons of software who istantly transalte one thing is if you are already on the path, but learning a very hard language right now sounds dumb since your first language is world wide valid

I lived in China for a couple of years and have a lot of horror stories like too, ranging from mild indignations to sexual assault (and i'm a dude, mind you). But my experience, all in all, wasn't as bad as his.

You could, as some are suggesting, learn russian or japanese or whatever. But the chinese market only really sprung up some two, three decades ago. Plus, they've been isolated from the world forever, it's extremely rare to find any chinese person (including businessmen, government officers and doctors) that speaks decent, understandable English. The chinese-speaking professional is a shiny gem and facilitates a LOT of work for a lot of companies.

Adopting mandarin now before the market is flooded with english-speaking chinese and mandarin-speaking foreigners is like buying btc early and i'm really disappointed at Veeky Forums for being such retards as to discourage it over
>muh chinese are subhumans

That pic is so fucking accurate, I deal with a local Chinese-run warehouse (as in they speak EXCLUSIVELY in Chinese except for the 1 20 year old kid who speaks decent English but is never around) I am ALWAYS late delivering ANYTHING they are supposed to give me becuase it literally takes them an hour and a half to get me a single item from their medium-sized warehouse, and they will constantly tell you a higher price than you agreed upon in the hopes you wont catch it. On the plus side, however, their receptionist is fucking SMOKING hot, even though she turns my 20 second pickup order into a 30 minute affair every, single. time.

yes, learn an object oriented programming language

thank me later

Brit here - any Western European language is worthless unless you want to learn it for cultural or personal reasons since English is the lingua franca of business and travel.

Even if you learn a language and try to speak it with locals they will cotton on you are not native and switch to English as you stumble over words and fuck up pronounciation.

The only European language worth learning is Russian. Most Slav languages are semi-mutually intelligible with it, and any ex-USSR country is filled with people who understand it and not English.

Plus demographically Slavs will be the only whites left in the future.

>Chinese will take forever to learn
>Japanese won't

also crypto-world relevance is arguable

If you're really into learning it and spend time on it it's not that hard. the tones are a pain at first but you get the hang of it. I started learning in April and I can deal with any given daily situation and have conversations with people... can't do anything business related yet though

I have been in China all that time though, outside of China you'll have much slower progress unless you find people to talk with.

Speak Russian, Portuguese and English. Were thinking French, German or Italian next. Finishing my masters in Aerospace.

Any ideas ?

youtube.com/watch?v=KE_DtGgovjc

no

I'm Chinese and let me tell you, you will never be fluent at Mandarin.
At best you will sound like an autistic retard that everyone tries their best not to laugh at when you open your mouth or of politeness. It's really really hard for people that only have a background in Western languages to learn. Also you'll likely never be able to read past a second grade level.

Yes.
Learning Spanish is easier, though, and also opens a vast market to you.

I’m english, but I grew up in China. If I was talking to you on the phone you wouldn’t even be able to tell I’m white.

Yes. Once I'm done with Japanese I will move on to French and then German.
Stop thinking about it and start today. The best time to plant a tree yada yada...

Learn spanish then if you like it learn french.

French isn't really hard at least for reading/writing because half of the english vocabulary is basically french, speaking it is harder however since it's totally different from germanic languages in term of sounds.

German is good if you think the EU will still be here in 30 years, I personally don't.
French is a better bet, despite the fact that french people will be completely replaced by africans before the end of the century there will be billions of french speaking niggers in the meantime: forbes.com/sites/pascalemmanuelgobry/2014/03/21/want-to-know-the-language-of-the-future-the-data-suggests-it-could-be-french/

Also if you are an american, speaking french is a good attribute to reach the upper class.

>The only European language worth learning is Russian. Most Slav languages are semi-mutually intelligible with it, and any ex-USSR country is filled with people who understand it and not English.
>brit here
The ignorance doesn't surprise me. The only slav language the least bit intelligible with Russian is Ukrainian. Maybe 50 years ago, but nowadays only the old speak Russian.
Don't talk about languages that you know nothing about.

i sell copper to china and its not that bad. indians are the true theives

Is there any Veeky Forums value in learning Arabic?

I learning korean a marketable asset?

Unironically if you want to become teacher or policeman in germany

this is absolute bullshit, chinese schools only want white people as their english teacher, so the few chink who have a good enough proficiency with the english language as well would never work there

Butthurt Balt detected

>not studying Japanese for when you can afford that sweet Tokyo penthouse with your crypto gains

Confirmed never going to make it.