Any benefits for doing heavy lateral raises?

Any benefits for doing heavy lateral raises?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ps8rOInbhMQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=S1_FN1MaI5k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Except massive gains?
Well, you completely unfriend than one "Strict form " gay fag in the gym, theres always one.

>Gotta isolate every muscle fiber

Keep memin

You'll become better at doing heavy lateral raises.

can I start doing weighted lateral raises after that?

You will be able to fly

ive always found better gains from going lighter, really burning the fuck out of them with a weight you can do around 25 with, not massively strict but still more focus on the mid delt

This, so much.

Anyway, upright rows are way better than lateral raises.

> Inb4 upright rows are unsafe!!

No need to worry if you don't 1) egolift, and 2) keep your grip wide enough.

add them into your program and report back with results

youtube.com/watch?v=Ps8rOInbhMQ

>2) keep your grip wide enough.
* if you do keep your grip wide enough.

lateral raises are safer than upright rows

just do them without impignating the shit out of your shoulder and you will be fine

the problem with upright rows is that you can't push yourself much more further than with lateral raises even if the mid delt is already fatigued, so there is a higher chance of injury

would using dumbbells be a bad idea?

ye I'd rather do lateral raises anyways

>upright rows
Lol

Yes, why would you put very small muscles (supraspinatus etc) under heavy strain if you want to hit your deltoid (which are considerably larger).

Snapped my shit up doing these with babby weights this morning. I noticed pinched nerve in my spine, sort of where the neck meets the back, yesterday, then doing these this morning aggravated it all of a sudden. Loud pop and excruciating pain. I've had a crick in my neck all day afterward. Pretty crabby about it.

>safer than upright rows
What did he mean by this ?

Since many user are concerned with impingement, here's some thoughts on it:

> Impingement should only occur when the angle between your torso and your arm is greater than 70°

At such angle (>70°), your deltoid cannot be activated anymore, so the weight is transferred to very small muscles such as supraspinatus, which logically can't support as much weight as your deltoids, and then the weight is transferred to your shoulder bursa, finally, compressing it. Over the time, too much of this process and you end developing bursitis. Think of the deltoid as a stretch band stretched over your shoulder: the more horizontal your arm is, the shorter the distance between it's origin (on the shoulder) and it's insertion (on the arm); when it's tl close to horizontal, the distance is so small that it can't contract anymore, so it gets flabby (just like a stretch band not stretched), so it cannot support weight anymore. The limit of >70° of torso-arm angle will vary from person but, on general /, of recommend to keep it lower than 90°. Be it upright rows or lateral raises.

The very description of impingement should include other details (concerning shoulder anatomy) which I've left out in this brief description. But that's that: deltoids not being able to support the load, and the collapse of the weight over your bursa and rotator cuff on general.

med student here.

except looking lile a leteral retard?

>upright rows

Confirmed has no fucking clue what he's talking about.

As a gym novice, i was bro scienced into believing these were a one way ticket to impingement.

red pill me

It is. Too heavy load you'll be unable to support the load properly, your shoulder will roll forward and it'll impinge when you try to lift til your shoulder height. You may somewhat avoid this by inclining you torso forward as Jeff cavaliere suggests.

Lean away lateral raises man. Preferably with a cable but you can use a dumbbell too. Leaning away eliminates most of the rotator cuff action and allows you to focus on the side delt more efficiently

yep it happens, you pulled your levator scapulae. just stretch him every day and don't do raises, it will go away in three days

Depends on what you mean by "heavy"

If you mean relatively heavy (to you), something to you cannot rep more than 4-6 times, then no.
It will almost certainly fuck up form, and surprisingly enough will be harder to go to failure with than a relatively lighter (10-20 rep) weight.

If you mean objectively heavy, then yes.

The goal is to be able to rep the HEAVIEST dumbbell you can for 10-15 reps.

Currently i am at 35 for 8
Trying to push it up to 12-15 before i go for 40

When i hit 45 i am totally going to use lmao1pl8 grip plate, but that is a long way off.

Stick to heavy pressing (ohp, push press, landmine press, bradford press) for the strength building aspect, and use side lateral raises to push your delts to their MRV

Keep in mind that while larger muscles like lats and glutes can only be brought to their MRV 2x a week, smaller muscles like delts can be maximally overloaded 4x a week
m.youtube.com/watch?v=S1_FN1MaI5k
(Makes sense when you think about it. Big muscles require MUCH more volume to hit their MRV, so naturally the recovery process is longer as there is more training volume to recover from)

Don't use a dumbbell for this or the resistance curve will be garbage

I usually do my first three sets heavy then work on getting a pump with perfect form with the last two.forced reps are not a meme.

Unironically the worst lift ever

Thanks user.

It makes you look like the dumbest guy in the gym, if you find that rewarding then sure

>upright rows
goodnight shoulders