/run/ - Running General

Infrequent /run/ thread.

Mandatory reading: pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m

How's training going? Any particular goals? Injuries?

First marathon this weekend. Nerves are kicking in already...

Training went smoothly. I had a minor issue with the IT band back in April, but after a week it was fine, and hasn't come back.

Finally hit 3k last week :') it was such a pain to get here but know it feels so rewarding now.

In another thread, someone suggested HIIT cardio for skinny fat since regular running would leave me "stringy". Is this true?

Good luck man. Trust your training and be sure to blogpost about it when you get back. (seriously pls do)

bouncing back after bad IT in both legs. I see the error of my ways now. I had/have a weak core and hips, and also sit too much. Made myself a ghetto standup desk, and am forging on!

I have an end of the year goal of a sub 22 min 5K, currently at 23 min on the dot

should be easily achievable right? is running twice a week okay?

>supposed to run at dawn
>autumn morning chill makes being in bed too comfy to get up

I haven't run much due to a knee injury. I did a 10k on Sunday and was 6 minutes slower than the times I was doing before. It sucks how quickly running gains vanish

Might want to up that to 3 or 4 times a week but yeah that seems pretty reasonable.

Around the 4-5k mark in runs I get a pain around this part and it just gets worse (it's the same part that heavy deadlifts affect). I stop because of it, not because my legs or lungs are giving up.

What part of my posture could contribute to it?

How's your core mate? Often pain back there comes from core weakness and possibly poor hip flexor/glute strength.

I'm not sure how to quantify core strength. I can do hanging leg raises/planks/etc just fine. And for glutes, my squat weight is fine, as are leg accessories. The flexibility could be an issue. Any recommendations?

fucking hell, it was max +13C weather today.
In two weeks or less, no more running in t-shirt and shorts. ;_;
I hate running in heavy gear, but the climate is what it is. (Finland)

like other user said, you could be underutilizing your glutes/ hams and thus relying on your lower back, which pulls it forward. try glute bridges and stand on one leg while driving the other one into a wall at about hip height. should help use glutes when running

ANTERIOR PELVIC TILT

Tendonitis in L knee, possibly both. It really flared up badly and i havent been triaining for nearly a week reeeee. Anyone have experience with treatment? Ive been icing, resting, and using ultrasound. dont know what else to do besides sit here slowly going crazy.

Guys I feel sore in the right side of my abs. Fucked up yesterday by curling a heavy dumbbell. Should I rest until tomorrow or go for a slow paced 5k anyway

Is sprint-walk-sprint-walk or run-jog-run-jog better for interval training?

knees and ankles keep popping! doesn't rly hurt so long as I stretch properly.

Any /crack/ing fags here?

I'll look into these, thank you.

Plenty of foam rolling before and after plus stretching after a few minutes running. Keep at it and it'll come good eventually. Hip mobility is huge in running and often overlooked bc it's boring to work on. Make the roller your friend.

abs heal quickly, I'd go for the run anyway. If you feel its making it worse then stop immediately ofc, but at least you've made an attempt and there's always tomorrow.

Good. I did my first 10k and I want to do a halfmarathon in December. Any suggestions on how to train?

If your looking for high intensity interval training sprint walk is a better option. I uses run jog for a more medium distance anaerobic-aerobic hybrid training

When i had knee injuries i did swimming along with light running in the water to keep up my cardio while they healed. Increases blood flow to knees without high impact if no pool with bath tub and do flutter kicks

depending on where you live, you might bet a big boost when it gets colder. for ever 10 degrees over 60f you lose 5-10 seconds.

>I hate running in heavy gear, but the climate is what it is. (Finland)
would you like to trade that for running in 28C with high humidity?

So if I were trying to get faster at 5k and 10k you would recommend run-jog?

When running in cold weather should i wear a scarf or something to warm my breath. Is cold air harmful to lungs when running?

Yes I'd suggest doing run-jog interval to improve speed and a distance run longer than 5k or 10k depending to improve your endurance.

honestly, +28C must be much comfier than running in -10C and snowy/icy roads.
You can run fast without issues about slipping and breaking bones.
Then again ankle deep fresh snow can be extremely cushioning, but also slightly hindering.

However it is only bad around January-February when the air is coldest. (dry cold air can be kinda bad for outdoors physical exercising)
I remember this years first half marathon, first week of March, temps around 0-4, running alongside people who are still skiing... it can be comfy as soon as your nose stops freezing.

>+28C
He said plus high humidity. Try running in a sauna enviroment.

It is 90 degrees in Oklahoma City on September 22 of the current year. Fucking fall when? I just want comfy easy runs on sunny 55 degree days.

You're okay in the cold unless you have asthma or some other lung issue.

I did it !

First time i run 1 hour. Usually, it's 30 or 45 minutes.

Dunno, i just wanted it, and it feels good.
11,78km btw.

Not impressive, but i have nobody to told.

Good job bruh.

Thank you mah nigga.

What about "rest" ? I mean, how many times per week do you run ?

Is this gonna get worse if I keep running?

It only gets sore after on the way back after running, once I have a shower it doesn't hurt

you should lift alongside cardio if you don't want to end up a skelly
specially if you're on a big caloric deficit

Well...i guess you could wear a bandage or a band-aid, with good socks.

Or stop running for a week.

If it doesn't hurt really much, i guess it's not that bad.

I run every day, but i started 2 years ago. I end up taking a rest day about once every 2-3 weeks. Usually because something came up, but sometimes because the legs need it.

That's what I thought, I guess I'll keep on running until it starts hurting or maybe switch to cycling if it doesn't heal in a week or two.

I started running 5Ks 2 months ago

I can't even run every other day due to shin splints.

I ran 3x per week for 6 months, then 5 for a few months, then 6, and was up to daily with no scheduled rest days at about 9 months. Just have to listen to the body.

It stops over time. That should be dry in 2 days and shouldn't happen again. Rest tomorrow and run on sat night.

what are the best running shoes?

Slow down the pace or rest more.

Guys I have not run in about 4 months and from my last run I still have shin splints. I think I have weak glutes since my knees rotate inward when I stand, causing my feet to hit the floor at an awkward angle.

Saucony

Running in my first 5k race on the 8th of next month. Want under a 19, ran 2 miles ion the track today in the hot sun and ran a 13:08 so not feeling very confident.

The knees rotating sounds like an overpronation thing maybe?

Don't go out too fast. Aim for even mile splits.

I started out to slow, my first mile was a 6:43

Pace control app.

Will running more help with erectile dysfunction? Like increased cardio = better blood flow?

It's supposed to, also eat less fat

I have a Fitbit blaze, it doesn't work well on the track tho.

so I'm able to run 3 miles but it isn't easy. I'm gasping for breath towards the end.

I was watching some running tips and it said that if I'm really struggling with what I'm currently doing, then I shouldn't do it because it's above my fitness level. Am I risking an injury if I continue moving forward? I planed to progress to like 3.3 miles next week, 3.6 after that, etc...

Any of the mid drop Brooks, Asics, or Sauconys are good. Nike makes some good true runners too but you have to avoid the fashion shoes.

Slow down.

Mixture of easy running (conversation pace) and quality workouts

Key workouts for half are the tempo run (roughly the pace you're aiming to run the half in) start with 20 mins and aim to build that up to an hour or 6-8 miles. The idea being to train your body to get used to the pace that you're gonna run at

long run is the other important workout imo. Idea is to build endurance and aerobic capacity. Start with an hour easy running and aim to buil this up to around 2hrs. Pace is at easy conversation as well. Idea is for time on your feet to get used to the distance.

the other 2-3 runs depending on how many times a week you want to train can just be shorter I.e 5-8 miles at easy pace as well.

>mfw ran 20 minutes straight but forgot to run my couch 2 5k app and have to do it again

HELP GUYS! I HAVE TO RUN A 50K IN 2 MINUTES! I HAVE ONLY RAN 1 MILE IN MY LIFE! WHAT TRAINING PLAN CAN YOU SUGGEST TO HELP ME COMPLETE THIS 50K NON-STOP?

Do c250k. It's a 1 minute program for noobs. All you have to do is jizz in your shoes and then start your 50k.

AUTISM
U
T
I
S
M

Grats on the progress though. I'll never forget when I passed week 5.

my pace is horrendous to begin with

You'll get better with time.

Not the time to worry about that when you are only able to run 3 miles at a pop. Go as slow as you have to to not get winded.

New to cardio/cutting
Did 1km jog on the treadmil followed by a 1km speed walk and my shins started to feel funky.
Am i gonna make it brahs?

yes you are. your shins might hurt because you're new, shoes suck, or your form sucks.

my shins/calves hurt during the first mile, but after that it goes away when im warmed up.

The only way to not make it in /run/ is to quit running. Don't quit. Take the rest you need, but don't blow off runs when you feel good enough to run.

>fundraising run
>$55 for a 10k
Fucking seriously?

Why don't they charge $15 or something simple for this shit
You don't need fancy numbers and chip timing for a fundraising event

Thanks senpaitachi

>Paying for running
They are organized for insecure people that need validation praises through FB. Pleb af. Disregard.

I only go for the social aspect desu

Don't be mean I actually planned to run 5ks and pay for them so I could have tangible medals and trophies for participating

oh and also free shirts..my friend said they give nice shirts for running events so that is why I started running

There's also lots of cute girls at these events
There's literally a 3:2 girl/guy ratio in LD running in general

Even tho in /run/ generals we are very supportive, both of you need to get out of here and go to some place like reddit.

why...

>tfw first marathon is in a week

?

i tried bros i tried.

tried to do 3 miles under 40 minutes i was running hard at the end.

JUST

you took the slow down meme too far

>tfw best 5k time is 18:38

i can barely run 2 miles straight cant imagine 26 miles

Are the calorie estimations on these things ever accurate

Look into fartlek training. A running coach of mine from a few years ago told us that she'd play a game where every time she saw a blue car she'd run at 10k pace, every red car she'd switch to 5k pace, every black to sprint, and white to a light jog.

who/what is your inspiration to run?

pic related

Nah breh don't worry. Keep at it, fix a goal. Try to shave a realistic X% every week or month. Proud of you

>How's training going? Any particular goals? Injuries?

Was training for a 21k and after that some short trail runs, got diagnosed hypertension so I have to stop all training for now. It fucking sucks, man

>tfw since ive started running people keep asking if im sick

wtf bros cardio is killing me?

i only pay for the 5Ks that give you stuff, like shirts, beer, food, etc. minneapolis is bretty good about that stuff

now if only i could get under 30 minutes on my 5k...

>now if only i could get under 30 minutes on my 5k...
Stop running for food and beer then

uh? elaborate

guess im slimming down too fast?

>tfw i look more fucked up by being skinnier

if i had to put up with this conditions when i first begin to run im not sure if i could have make it.

I love the weather of my country not too cold in winter not too hot in summer just mild all year

Does anyone else's muscles give out before their lungs i ran a 5k throughout the entire run my breathing was fine but i felt my muscles starting to slow me down. Is it due to fiber type as i am mostly a sprinter?

if fat fuck just keep it up buddy dont worry about your pace just ad distance

that really sucks m8. are you fat or you gloat on salt everyday?

Feel you. Fix your diet breh. You are not dumb, start counting macros not just cals. Also, work shoulders, traps, lats and biceps. Upperbody 3 times a week. That should keep the normies out of your business. Report back breh.

Thats your body running out of fuel and burning fat. Enjoy it