Parallel vs Ass to Grass

Is ass to grass really necessary while squatting?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14636100
cdc.gov/niosh/mining/UserFiles/works/pdfs/famot.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=qoI7lF2P5ds
youtu.be/Av3LO2GwpAk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes.

yes

any other question?

as long as you go past parallel it's cool with me

Even if the weight is considerably different?

I have always squatted by these words:

'Lower faggot'

Yea especially for front squats, which can only really incorporate much glute action when you go below parallel

different from what

I go ass to grass unless I'm doing around 85% or higher of my 1RM for reps. Then I go a bit below parallel but I can't quite manage ass to grass.

As I make progression I can go ass to grass on the weight I was going just below parallel with, with my new 85%+ at a bit below parallel.

I can squat more weight going parallel rather than doing ass to grass

Butt wink is crazy on my squats, I cant do a proper atg squat. How do I fix this shit?

"parallel" squats are for fat immobile shits whose only reason to squat is to pat themselves on the back for walking out x amount of weight

>How do I fix this shit?

check your autism at the door and keep squatting

What if I can't do ass to grass without getting a seriously huge buttwink (and therefore hurting my lower back) ? I seem to have no flexibility and keeping squatting with weight doesn't seem helping me.

Depending on your frame, you are better off not going further than parallel.

not all the time but i use ATG as a indicator that I set a new 1rm and thats where i'm at regardless of outside factors like sleep, rest, or working out after a long day.

work on flexibility and mobility you fucking no good nigger

With safeties so low, why even use them at all?

>m-muh femur length

I'm 6'4 and have been going atg since the first day

its has nothing to do with proportions

1/10th rom nigga

I dunno do olympic gold medalists have the look and numbers you're trying to achieve?

>using pussy poles

not gonna make it

no shit nigga

Sounds like you know what you're talking about!
Frame =/= height

Is OP's pic considered good enough depth for ATG? I thought we had to squat as low as possible without buttwink which is literally ATG for me. I have third world genes and hyper mobility so that might be why.

I basically do what this poster does. I go ATG until I get close to my 1RM. Then I just go below parallel but nowhere near ATG.

you're still a faggot by not breaking parallel

Post proof going beyond parallel with """""long""""" femurs

ass to grass puts all the pressure on your knees instead of upper legs, it's a bad idea

false

Only if you're trying to impress autistic teenagers on a Bolivian goat polishing website. Otherwise parallel is just fine.

lol what?

thats almost exactly the opposite of true

it really doesnt matter that much

are you training for power lifting? pretty sure you need to go below parallel for that to count

are you trying to maximize your hypertrophy gains? pretty sure ATG has a greater ROM which should allow for greater hypertrophy

do you have some sort of physical ailment that prevents you from going ATG? then dont do it

do you not really care about going ATG? then dont do it

I'm 6'4 and atg without an issue.

This. It depends.

>this thread again

You squat as low as you can. That means keeping the lower back tight.

A little bit of buttwink is fine as long as you do not loose tightness.

Work on your mobility to keep getting lower (hip flexors, hamstrings, calves, ankles, etc.).

>parallel

Yeah I'm a qualified yoga instructor, I think I'm a bit more knowledgeable than some guys on Veeky Forums

can you elaborate on how ATG puts more pressure on the knees, as opposed to parallel?

>I'm a qualified yoga instructor
do you even lift?

Wtf is buttwink.

You can squat more weight with a dick in your mouth too. What's your point?

Thats because youre half repping

What is commonly known as "butt wink" refers to the moment at the bottom of a squat when the pelvis begins to rotate backward and slip under the body. You'll also hear it referred to as "posterior pelvic tilt" or just "pelvic tilt," and when it's severe, it can be bad news for your lower back.

Wtf i never noticed anything strange with my pelvis and i squat as low as i can.

>tfw thought it was referred to the anus opening and closing

word on the street is that a squat plug can help eliminate buttwink

similar to how using a belt can add 10 pounds to your squat, so can using a butt plug

Can I substitute a Monster Zero Ultra can for a butt plug?

are you a faggot that doesnt care about losing his gains? then yeah go ahead

otherwise square up and use a squat plug, or even better, get a spotter that will give you his squat plug

gotta go organic you fuck

>I can squat more when muscles I never touch don't have to pull weight
really stimulates one's prefrontal cortex

Do you even physiology?

Then fucking stretch dude

no youre not. this is a common excuse

Squeeze your glutes and butt before each rep. That helped with my butt wink.

>I can squat more weight going parallel rather than doing ass to grass

Why isn't anyone asking OP whether he's doing high bar or low bar? If low bar there's no need to go atg.

That is the most hilarious claim to credibility I've heard in a while. I'm a licensed massage therapist and a professional dancer and nowhere in my training is there any knowledge better than bro-science about the effects of high weight on the knee in extreme flexion. Whatever you think you know is probably bunk, so do some scholarly research please before you spread it. And if it's not bunk checking won't hurt.

>switch from low bar parallel to high bar atg
>can only do one and half plates for 5 reps
fuarrrrrrrrrrrk

I never went below parallel in over 15 years of lifting and I really don't give a fuck about it.

how about my own experience and several of my customers too who have come to me seeking help after messing their knees by squating too deep

seriously, go do a bodyweight squat ATG and then jump and see what your knees do

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14636100

>Hurr durr knees not past teh toes

The difference is inconsequential for anyone taking advice from Veeky Forums.

Wait, is this true. Be right back guise, time to do some testing.

So what you're saying is that you're a bitch who only goes ATG with weight you can easily get up again?

"watch this bro 2 pl8 ohp"
>only moves the weight to his receding hairline

Bitch opinion
Hahaha, yeah so many oly lifters with blown out kneecaps, i am sure your yoga faggot numale clients and cardio bunnies had such perfect squat form and always went atg in the smith machine.
>Why isn't anyone asking if OP is doing this retarded powerlifting variation or the superior physically sound and much more natural way to squat
I feel better about my 2 pl8 ATG pause squats now desu

"Although the articular cartilage and meniscus are designed for high compressive loads in the central portion, the effects of high loading on the posterior portions of the medial compartments remains unclear. An increased risk for medial tibiofemoral narrowing has been associated with varus alignment (Sharma et al., 2001). The increased varus moments (increasing loading on the medial compartment of the tibia), high knee flexion (decreasing tibiofemoral contact area), and high posterior and inferior forces found in this study may explain the greater effect of squatting on medial compartment osteoarthritis and the significant relationship between varus moments and osteoarthritis severity (Zhang et al., 2004; Sharma et al., 1998; Cooper et al., 1994; Anderson & Felson, 1988). These previous findings, in conjunction with the current study’s results, imply that deep squatting is likely to be the most detrimental high-flexion posture"

>cdc.gov/niosh/mining/UserFiles/works/pdfs/famot.pdf

if you're going for simple strength and aren't trying to build muscle, then go ahead and do just to parallel squats, but ATG squats activate more glute and quad muscles

did you even read this study? none of the researchers know even the most basic yoga moves.

Ass to grass tends to imply proper function of your posterior chain, bottom stability comes largely from the glute and hammies

>I can squat more weight when I don't do a full rep

Well then

>anecdotal experience
that only works if you're a medical professional

ATG will fuck up your knees. Breaking parallel is where its at.

Enjoy fucked up lumbars from going ass to grass. If you're limited by your mobility and your back angle has to change to get there (i.e. buttwink), you're just ruining your spine.

Ass to grass should be saved for fronts squats and the extremely mobile.

No.
But people here parrot a single opinion with no arguments to back it.
Especially if you dont have amazing flexibility A2G will completely destroy your lower back and spine.
Breaking parallelis enough for muscle recruitment.
Just dont quarter squat like a faggot

What do if your ankle mobility is shit and you can't hit ass to grass unless you stand like a fucking sumo wrestler?

Is it okay to only front squat for a while? Switched to home gym and can only squat what I can clean until I get a rack.

I obviously balance hamstrings and glutes with pulls, deads, plus I do a lot of single leg RDL and front rack lunges.

If this is fine, why would I ever want to back squat again?

E.g. why do 325lbs 5x5 back squat vs 275lbs 5x5 front squat?

This right here. Memes aren't worth it to fuck yourself over, mobility restricts us in different ways and there's jack shit you can do about that sometimes. If you can do it without your lower back moving an inch, go ahead it's good for your glutes and hammies. But if you can't, simply don't

It's actually recommended

How long do you even have to work on mobility before you can ATG without massive buttwink?

I've been stretching a cumulative time of one hour every single day past my pain treshold, and my improvements have been so small that it's making me question is there were any improvements at all.

atg squats are easier for me than parallel, am I doing somehting wrong?

you're relying on the bounce too much then

>How long do you even have to work on mobility before you can ATG without massive buttwink?
how the fuck are we supposed to know it depends on much much you work on your mobility

ankle mobility will fix it the most since going forward with the knees will completely remove the buttwink

It depends

the rule in weightlifting is go as low until your calves touch your hamstrings, since I have long femurs this is almost atg for me

a good example is this romanian weightlifter
>youtube.com/watch?v=qoI7lF2P5ds

>implying buttwink is bad

half squats = half quads

It's okay. I watched a candito video and he said it's okay so now I just ignore it.

>high bar
>dive bomb
>ATG
>get stronk

If you are low bar squatting, you will only be able to go ass to grass buy flexing your lumbar spine (not good).

Ass-to-grass low bar squat = cat back deadlift

why do u think powerlifters never do full rom and have ridiculously wide stances

It has EVERYTHING to do with proportions.

There's a lanklet in my gym who does juicy ass to grass squats (mirin'), but no one else does because we are stiffer than tree trunks

I wouldn't be surprised if people who hurt their knees going atg didn't keep tension in their legs. Relaxing your legs at the bottom lets you go lower, but at that point you're probably not getting anything out of it other than wearing out your knees for the sake of "lower feggit"

Low-bar: parallel
High-bar: ATG
Front-squat: ATG

Try to modify your form to get a more comfortable squat.
youtu.be/Av3LO2GwpAk
Do a little bit of yoga/stretching on your rest days that focuses on your lower body to improve flexibility and you should be good to go.

>tfw I go slightly below parallel and there's nothing you can do about it
>Tfw dyel fag loads up his 25lb plate and goes atg
Kek when will the atg crowd learn

Why do I feel like the majority of the ATG-anons in this thread are dyel with a sub 2pl8 squat?

Because they are? Have you ever seen an atg autist doing anything beyond lol1pl8

human language pls
atg causes the most severe fuckupitis?

I literally go ass to grass and squat barely 2pl8, maybe I should just go a little below parallel, but I've already taught myself to go ATG so it'll take a while to relearn...