My first day at the gym sucked

My first day at the gym sucked.

I chose the closest gym near me that had weights, and signed up.

Today, I went in after work, and tried to do Starting Strength. Squats, Bench Presses, and Deadlifts.

Someone was using the squat rack, and I heard that you shouldn't use smith machines. I could have taken one of the free weights and squatted by one of the bench-things by the dumbbells, but nobody else was and it felt silly.

When the squat rack freed up, I was only able to put on like ten pounds because I'm a goddamn weakling because that's why I'm going to the gym. One of the gym employees, who was helping someone else, told me that I should be facing the other way if I'm doing squats.

The bar fucking hurts my neck, and I couldn't figure out how to do a squat that felt right. All of the burn was in my arms, from holding up the goddamn weight.

Then I tried bench presses. I couldn't tell how far under the bar I should be. Should the bar be above my eyes when it's racked? Above my pecs? Whatever, I gripped it, unracked it, and tried doing up-down motions. My left elbow hurt a little bit and I was really wavery with the bar. There wasn't even any goddamn weights on. I felt like I might hit the rack-teeth (whatever the fuck you call them) if I went back too far, so I think I did weird bench presses.

Finally, deadlifts. I don't even fucking know how to do those, my gym didn't have a big mat or anything, and I know you're supposed to drop it on the floor when you're done but there wasn't any room for that. I took a free weight barbell, stood in front of the mirror, and just picked it up a few times. It felt like I was hurting my back.

The only positive thing that happened was that I got to stare at some black girl's ass on the treadmill in front of me, and she bent over to stretch with yoga pants riding up.

I wanna lift and get strong, but I'm feeling really discouraged. Should I look for another gym? Get a personal trainer? Am I gonna make it, Veeky Forums?

>gif related

Jesus christ. Watch a goddamn youtube video.

The gym definately wasn't the problem. Get a personal trainer or take a some CrossFit classes.

I wish I could've seen this. How much did you try to deadlift?

if you want to make it don't let some dirty looks get in between you and your dreams

also this

Put the bar either on your traps or where your non existent traps should be, or put it on the space where your delt muscles should be.

Practice with a broomstick or something.

With bench I like to have my eyes just beyond the bar to unrack. And my pinkies in the knur... in the little ring in the bar. That's the most comfortable for me. I haven't changed it for a while and it took away my wrist pain. Also grip the bar at an angle in the groove of your palm.

I don't even think you should be doing deads desu. Wait until you can figure out squat or bench before you try that again. You are going to hurt yourself .
In the meantime however, do bodyweight glute bridges. Doesn't matter if it's at the gym or in your bed, you are weak in that area and these will help you.

Read everything too, and watch everything. Once you feel comfortable with bench and squats and you stuck with glute bridges, then try deads again. You're still going to be a huge pussy but at least you'll have hit a very important muscle group in the meantime.

>and I know you're supposed to drop it on the floor when you're done

No.

That's for when you're competing and only going up counts for a lift.

The rest is all on YouTube.

Bench and press are easy. Squat might be tricky, just set down a bench/platform etc and pretend you're sitting down and standing up, dildo optional.

Deadlift, meh. Ask someone else.

You actually have to read the book

My first day at the gym was awesome. I start work midday so I go to the gym at 9am once all the city fuccbois have left so I have the whole place to myself

Nothing makes me laugh more when I see some skinny betashit drop his 5kg dumbells on the floor and walk up to the mirror to check his pump

It's more likely hell hurt himself with other exercises desu. Deads are only bad at higher weights. Snap city at 40kg? Kek.

>Bench.
>Easy.

I'd honestly say Bench is second hardest next to diddies. Sure you can bench with bad form. but benching with perfect form is seems so fucking hard for me.

Diddies are way simpler despite being harder imo.

Hello OP. My first day at gym too. Pretty self conscious until about 15 mins in when i realised nobody gives a fuck what youre doing unless its really attention grabbing like spazzing out.

I suggest you just prepare yourself next time. Do the exercises at home with a broomstick, coach yourself on youtube with a mirror. All these problems could have easily been avoided, and you still can. Dont give up OP, nobody there cares!

I dropped stuff as a skinny dyel.

I still do now I'm back after 2 years of nothing (injury).

But that's on literal failure.

Oly lifts are somewhat of an exception.

>crossfit classes
>ever

lmao I wish I could have been there to bully you

Get a trainer

i have two on my feet

There's tons of ways to bench. But the mechanics are easier.

You literally push straight up at the most comfortable point.

Read the book
Watch youtube videos
How fucking stupid are you?

Bench is the hardest to be highly efficient at. But it's pretty easy to achieve 'good enough' in most cases.

Local man killed by barbell - Alone in gym.

Details at 11.

Meh, they'll teach someone how to lift and they cater to beginners.

Going regularly is dumb, but if you haven't EVER lifted going to them for a couple weeks would really be a good start.

Fuck gym. It's demotivating, distracting, soul crushing. I quit gym after a day and didn't go back in 25 years. And when i went back - it was to home "gym". Just a bench press with leg extension is all you really need. No distraction, no jelly, no demotivation.

Guy said his back hurt already. He is going to fuck his shit right up. He should probably stay away from them for now

Did you actually read starting strength, at least the relevant bits? That, and watching Rippetoe's videos, will help with form.

You could always ask a friend that lifts to come with you for a day.

Also. I haven't done gym in my en tire life and was fine. But when i got sensitivized to the exercising, you start being homosexual. You start fuckign checking out everyone and comparing. I could really have done without this part.

You can make the thoughts go away by telling guys that they have a sweet ass and following it up with no homo.

You can't expect to be competent at something on your first day.

You gotta keep liftin buddy.

>Going regularly is dumb, but if you haven't EVER lifted going to them for a couple weeks would really be a good start.
A few sessions of Crossfit is just as expensive as a few sessions with a personal trainer at most other gyms, except with a personal trainer, he is giving you 100% of his attention instead of an entire class and you will be training on the equipment at a gym you plan on staying with.

>Just a bench press with leg extension is all you really need.
lol

True nuff.

I just hate how there's always something I find lacking. Core not tight enough, legs not set best, scapula/shoulders not fully retracted, descent too fast or crooked. etc.

You can buy an ultra thin PVC pipe from a hardware store for like $2. Just take that and learn the movements.

are there even trainers in your gyms?