"Actually Granddad, Christmas is a Pagan Holiday. And... Jesus probably hates you for celebrating it."

>"Actually Granddad, Christmas is a Pagan Holiday. And... Jesus probably hates you for celebrating it."

Any truth to this?

youtube.com/watch?v=6hRL-C-Thq8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bV5ObM1u9qA
youtube.com/watch?v=HiIla9Mqo1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's /pol/tier nonsense

>the protestant church banned it until the 1800s

Like what kind of fucking nonsense is that

How is it /pol/?

The part about the Greco-Roman pagan origins are true, but pinning it entirely on Saturnalia (which was an festival that was celebrated over multiple days, more like Hanukkah than Christmas) isn't exactly accurate. Still, most pagans celebrated the Winter Solstice in their own religions, the Christians just adopted it later.
As for the part about banning Christmas, that wasn't all Protestants, just certain sects like the Pilgrims, who banned Christmas in England between 1557 and 1660 and in Boston between 1559 and 1581.
So that's an okay summery for an Adult Swim cartoon, but not without flaws.
And I just realised I wasted my time making a proper reply for a shitposter. Get a trip so I can filter you, faggot.

ah yes THE protestant church

>every singe one of the 365 days in the calander was a pagan holiday sometime in someplace
>the Medieval Catholic Church wants to establish a holiday celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ
>oh wait we might be accused by retards 1000 years from now of reviving an obscure pagan holiday
>let's add another month to the calander instead
>a few centuries later the year is now 21 years long

I know Congress (along with most state legislatures) actually did regularly meet on Christmas until the American Civil War.

And it just happened to be on one of the most important ones common to many European cultures at a time that the Christians were aiming to proselyte to them.
I don't think that any serious historian would try and use "dumb chance" to explain historically attest similarities.

>Jesus
>hates you

Come again?

It was already a day of importance among Slavic old believers. In Slovene, Christmas is known as Božič. Bož comes from Bog (god) and -ič is a Slavic equivalent of the -son suffix; Božič literally means the son of god. This is because Slavic Christmas was the celebration of the birth of the son of Svarog (Svarožič or Božič), the god of sun and fire. This is because days start getting longer again at this time.

>Actually Granddad, Christmas is a Pagan Holiday. And... Jesus probably hates you for celebrating it

Jesus is repeatedly shown to be relatively fond of Romans and disdainful of Jews throughout the gospels. There's not a single mention of idols in the gospels either which for a "Jewish" text is extremely surprising.

youtube.com/watch?v=bV5ObM1u9qA

Catholics couldnt stop romans from celebrating pagan holidays so they just altered existing holidays into *catholic* ones.

Why are there no instances of this being discussed at Church councils or synods?

He hates you if you're a capitalist. The whole whipping capitalists part and "muh camel through the eye of the needle" thing.

>black afro-centrists are wrong

What a surprise, this show is fucking garbage when Huey gets on the soapbox. It's one of the best shows when it's just nihilist absurdist comedy.

Catcher Freeman episode was pure kino.

I don't think he'd like gangs of people stealing money from other people at gun point "for the common good" either.

Whipping tax collectors and merchants in the Holy temple is not hating capitalism
Not all capitalists put money before God

I'm not saying it was dumb chance. I'm saying that you're dumb.

Replacing a pagan festival with a Christian one doesn't matter.

>YOU SEE THAT NIGGA FLIP FROM TREE TO TREE LIKE SOME OLD TARZAN SHIT?! Wait, wait, wait, bring that back, I got to see that again!
>I'll be happy to.

That’s because Christianity is a pan-Med religion.

So what about the Christians who celebrate Christmas in January? Which pagan holiday are they copying?

Pagan holidays are okay. Iranics have Nowruz which is the start of their New year which makes sense since it's the begging of spring when flowers start to bloom symbolizing rebirth after the dead of winter.
In the Christians the winter solstice became associated with Jesus but I think I've heard somewhere that Christmas hadn't always been the most important holiday of the year and that instead it was the Lent season.
Only those with enlightened wisdom can see the long term consequences of removing Christmas from its drunken festive roots.

Granddad's story was just a Tarantino movie
Ruckus's story was like a /pol/ shitpost
animated kino

>Christmas hadn't always been the most important holiday of the year and that instead it was the Lent season.
Lent is still the most important Holiday(s) in Catholic Countries. You literally take a week off and most of that is spent in fasting until Eastern. Seen such a case in Ireland and the Philippines.

As usual, Protestcucks forgetting about their roots yet again.

wut R julyan calandar¿

I don't know, maybe for old ladies but kids would seem to care less for it. There also don't seem to be any fireworks for Easter but there are tons for Christmas and the nearby New Year.

I'm pretty sure Catcher Freeman inspired Django Unchained.

Bruh
Please think before you post

>we wuz the original christians, we wuz fed to lionz n persecuted and shiet

Christmas is for children and idol worshippers. Easter and Pentecost are where it's at

>the Palestinian winters are too cold

hmm

>not saturnalia
soyboy detected

Eastern Orthodox has the best Christian holidays desu

>NBF watches The Boondocks

In fairness we were still coming out of a miniature ice age at the time

Hell yeah I do.

you forgot your tripcode

>muh pagans
Meanwhile nobody gives a shit that the holiday's basically been hijacked by consumerism.

Not in 1AD to my knowledge. The mini-Ice age roughly corresponds to the late middle ages and early modern era

Not true. Christianity is a continuation of the same sacred traditions people always practiced.

(((Catholics)))

>What are the Twelve Days of Christmas lol

Yes they do

that isn't a disagreement.

That's just tough love

Way to move the goalposts user

What are the 12 days of Christmas? I seriously never got that.

Ah yes, THE Protestant Church, founded by the first Protestant Pope, Martin Luther.

Confirmed for never having read the Bible.

The 12 days of Christmas (or twelvetide) are 25 December - 5 January.

Capitalism didn't exist in 1st century AD brainlet.

Cromwell fought a literal war on Christmas and banned it when he won so I'd say true.

>christmas is based on yule
>no wait i mean saturnalia
>no wait the cult of mithras
>no wait it's based on sol invictus
>w-well christmas trees are pagan
>w-what do you mean they were invented by 16th century german lutherans
>m-muh pagan genocide, charlemagne was literally hitler :'(

It's literally a case of edgy kids claiming that because some of the folk traditions surrounding Christmas (which vary by culture and location and aren't even essential to Christianity) may have been influenced by pre-Christian festivities there was some sort of massive Christian conspiracy to co-opt paganism despite the idea being retarded if you have any basic knowledge about the Christianization of Europe (which normies generally don't)

In my language, among Christians, Christmas is called "the little holiday" and Easter is called "the big holiday".

Easter is the most important day in Christianity, how can you get that wrong? This fucking board needs to be deleted.

what are your christmas film anons
mine is plane,train and automobiles,die hard and its a wonderful life

The Nightmare before Christmas

Motion to add white bitches to the official list of demands

Joyeux Noël is the only Christmas movie I find even remotely watchable.

It is. You make it seem as though Christianity was dichotomically opposed to the previous religions of the Roman Empire. I argue that Christianity is no different from them. It wasn't begrudgingly co-opting the holidays but simply a continuous celebration of them under a slightly different theology. Even

No it wouldnt, /pol/ would never give niggers superhuman physical traits they would just be weak stupid animals.

Now that we've established that people who say Christmas is a pagan holiday are retarded, what are some Christmas traditions that are actually pagan in origin? Pic related?

Same. Are you Assyrian?

>this show is fucking garbage when Huey gets on the soapbox
Did you miss the point how he ends up looking like an asshole every time he does that?

Nope. Framing Christian theology by comparing it to familiar pagan imagery != worshipping pagan gods.
Also, Saturnalia was celebrated on December 17th, not the 25th. There's also no indication that Sol Invictus was celebrated on the 25th as a holy day (the Chronograph of 354 doesn't cite it as a religious festival, or even to the Sun God).
The date of December 25th is believed to have been determined by the fact that some Jews and early Christians believed important figures died on the day they were conceived; Jesus was crucified in spring, winter would be nine months later.

>the great black hero was actually a savage gorilla who worked like a bloodhound swinging tree to tree catching runaway slaves
Sounds like a /pol/ or /tv/ shitpost to me.

Uhhh...

youtube.com/watch?v=HiIla9Mqo1

Yes (by my definition). I've posted here a few times.

How does it feel to have your greatest Kang be reduced to a fat British civic nationalist on Jewtube?

Now me, I'm more of a romantic type. I'll still rape you, but I'll definitely stroke your head lovingly while I do it. See, 'cuz I want you to like it. Now you don't have to like it, but I will-

Sorry, I was distracted by that fine motherfucker right there, what's your name fine motherfucker?!

well they did co-opt paganism

>Greco-Roman pagan origins
It's Yule, which is Germanic

Except Christmas IS based off of all of the things above. The problem is you are assuming there is one Christmas tradition, a simply look at different Christmas celebrations around Europe will tell show a diverse range of different celebrations and lots of them have different influences, including different pagan influences. The Tomte/yule lads of Scandinavia are obviously a pagan remnant, so is Befana in Italy, but both are different traditions from two different, far away regions.

Of course classical paganism became confused with Germanic paganism in the days after conversion, hence in English all of the days of the week are named after Anglo-Saxon Gods, except Saturn's day.

Nevermind that 16th century German Lutherans also had lingering pagan influences, and if you want a "redpill" on paganism in rural belief, read the Brother's Grimm sometime. Local Germanic, Celtic, and Latin deities were still being worshiped as late as the 19th century in rural Europe. Of course peasant Christmas practices are going to have some kind of influence from paganism.

>massive Christian conspiracy to co-opt paganism

Pope Gregory literally tells people to do that and was responsible for turning Castor and Pollux into saints.

>Any basic knowledge about the Christianization of Europe

And then there was the Paganization of Christianity.

If I cared about egotistical fads being shoved down people's throats, I wouldn't have said I only posted here a few times.

And it is shoved down people's throats. They have a deal with YouTube/Google to keep "e-celeb" status and gain views. Even bringing him up on every occasion is part of the intention.

So butthurt I take it?

>mfw that's a verbatim quote from the show

>he didn't watch the boondocks
YOU CAN'T HAVE MY BOOOTTTY

Don't google Chris Hansen's cameo on The Boondocks.

Or do, why should I care.

Jews can't take the heat

Catholics and Orthodox(es?) are the original Christians.

Anything else is derived from them or more fringe sects with different views on Jesus' divinity like Arianism or Nestorianism or Messalianism.

Don't you commies ever give it a rest? Jesus threw the merchants out because they were conducting business inside a temple, not because "muh evil capitalists Jesus would agree with me"

its just another case of propaganda against the french language

Actually, it was Epiphany.
Armenians still do that, instead.

And as other posters have said, it wasn't A pagan tradition, it was a ton of minor influences from Old World festivals that usually happened 4-10 days EARLIER.

It's a late version of a generic solstice holiday, with the symbolism being that just Christ came into the world at it's darkest, just as the day and life is starting to increase once more from it's darkest and coldest.

It was made up about three or four hundred years after Christianity had existed and just happened to coincide with various pagan festivals, having a big celebration around winter solstice has been a tradition in Europe since the start of European civilisation.

>>black afro-centrists are wrong
So fucking stupid he didn't understand the Boondocks. Embarrassing user

I honestly like you, even though you're a tripfag. Joyeux Noel is kino, too.
What NBF recommended. If you're religious, you could try watching Silence (2017) for Christmas, even though it's not really a Christmas film. It's a great film either way, really.

kek'd

At the time of the Great Schism, the middle one you mentioned was equal or greater in size to/than both the Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox.

It's painfully obvious when the show is trying to push an actual message through, almost always through Huey. All the other times it's just nihilist absurdity.

No

I always loved how even Huey seems to realize that blacks hurt themselves more than anyone else and at times their conduct seemingly justifies what he sees as the white man's repression.

>Jesus' birth used to be celebrated in spring

They should reboot the Boondocks. Do it in Philly this time, where Huey and Riley are originally from. Reunite Huey with his friend from the comic strip.

The date and rituals all have pagan origins.
It was set there to more easily integrate people of other religions to Christianity

Other way around
There’s an older Django movie

Except that Django had literally nothing to do with slavery or the Civil War for that matter. It's loosely set during the Reconstruction Era in the West.

Source?

Agreed. Bring back Ed and Rummy as regular characters though. Those two down-low brothers were hilarious.

>the latin church based its holidays on fucking germanic and not latin influence

Yule was folded into christmas in germanic """cultures"""