TFW can't feel lats being activated

>TFW can't feel lats being activated

Fellas. When I do any rows, lat pulldowns, etc I never feel my lats activated. I try to "pull with my elbows" but I still never feel it or feel sore in upper back. What do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zQFyIWak8K8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Doing horizontal pulls for lats

Pls be trolling.

Elaborate

This is a compound exercise, it could be that your biceps, deltoids, and other back muscles are less developed than your lats, preventing you from feeling stress there
I personally just do pull-ups for lats

stop worrying about it. what you feel is irrelevant to anything. unless you have nerve damage you're using your lats just fine. some day youll just start feeling them.

Not op.

Whenever I do lat pulldowns, my forearms get sore/tired before my lats do, and I'm trying to squeezy my shoulders back and pull with my elbows. Are my forearms just really weak? Or should I do dumbbell rows instead

>stop worrying about it. what you feel is irrelevant to anything. unless you have nerve damage you're using your lats just fine. some day youll just start feeling them.

That doesn't sound right

rotate your shoulders as you do them

The pic is a guy doing a horizontal pull, which works the upper back muscles and biceps. This does not really work lats.
To work lats,you need to do a vertical pull (lat pulldown, pullups, chinups, machine lat pulldowns, etc.) If you can't feel your lats, what I did was drop the weight down quite a bit, and grip the bar with your thumbs on the same side as the rest of your fingers.
Because the weight is low (

True,but when I do lat pulldowns or barbell rows I dont feel it either

I have the same problem.

Are you using a claw grip and going really light?

how come
horizontal pulls are still like 80% lats, unless you row with your elbows pointing outwards instead of tucked in. but the average cable row definitely works lats

What's going to Cobra my lats more: Pulldowns or rows? I have high insertions.

>tfw same

I never have a back pump like I do with chest

On lat pulldowns? Yes but I go as heavy as I can for 3x5

I'm going to try this. Coincidentally I switched to claw grip on squats and now they feel better.

Yeah, so go light for a while, and focus on making your lats "move". What you can do is pull with one arm, and with your free hand, feel to see if the lat is being worked (ie go hard )

maybe the grip is too wide

Do slow controlled reps with weight thats good for 15-20 reps. Make sure to pull your elbows as far back as possible and squeeze shoulder blades together.
This is how i developed my mind muscle connection.

>upper back muscles

.... like your lats?

OP pls, you don't have to feel anything for you to gain. Pain =/= gain. Don't go looking for DOMS. Dont worry about the whole 'mind muscle connection 'FEEL THE SQUEEZE'. It's all bs.

The only time I ever get lat DOMS is after heavy overhead work and my lats are objectively the best part of my physique

Try this:

AMRAP pullups
>rest 15 sec
AMRAP pullups
>rest 30 sec
AMRAP pullups
>rest 45 sec
AMRAP pullups
>rest 60 sec
>AMRAP pullups
>rest a couple of minutes and repeat

Doing this always gives me the most sickening pump on my lats and forearms. As your grip starts to fail I recommend using straps on the first and last set of one cycle so you can really squeeze out the last reps.

You can also try changing your grip. I usually do a couple of cycles with chinup grips then switch over to a wide pullup grip.

Mind muscle connection is very important m8.
My chest is my best bodypart both strength and hypertrophy wise and i will credit that partially to mind muscke connection.

True, because if I dont think REALLY REALLY hard about my muscle then the muscle doesnt actually do anything right guys haha?

You dont have to start solving equations to perform something like a bench press.
Why do you think so many people bench a lot while they have shit chests while some faggot doing 185 has a nice chest? Mind muscle connection plays a huge role. If it wasnt important pros wouldnt be doing it.

Because barbell flat bench is fucking terrible for chest hypertrophy and is mostly about form/leg drive

youtube.com/watch?v=zQFyIWak8K8

Try this on pulldowns, some great tips that got my lats hurting OP

Kek
This is why you dont understand mind muscle connection.
So OHP hits your lats really hard but a bench press doesnt hit your chest? Your problem is you dont know how to activate your chest during the bench. Dont blame the exercise.

It's widely known that benching is terrible for chest hypertrophy. Why do you think there are so many powerlifters that have enormous backs and legs but terrible chests?

Provided that good form is used, gains from an exercise will be the same regardless of if you think about using the muscle in question or not.

What do you mean by "move"?

I can only lat pulldown 135x5 as I'm a babby , isn't it pretty much impossible to pull that down without using lats?

Any powerlifter thats not a fat fuck will have a good chest.
The reason chest is known for producing bad hypertrophy is because of DYELs who dont know how to bench and/or just have bad genetics for their chest.
If you arent using your chest for bench then wtf are you using? Your shoulders and triceps? Dont make me laugh.
And again mind muscle connection plays a huge role. I just cant explain how specifically with text.

If your upper arm is involved the range of motion, then you're using your lats. (Provided youre not pressing)

pls understand that you dont need to be sore to grow

Have you made sure your almonds are activated?

user. I understand it but id just like to know I'm using my lats fully....

There just has to be something incorrect if I'm exerting myself to failure but my targeted muscle group isn't sore... right?

Like after I do heavy(for me) OHP, my arms are slow to move overhead. I was expecting the same with back

.... You're saying that your deltoids and triceps dont have a major role in benching?
You realise too that your back has a huge role too, as well as leg drive right?
Training bench is almost useless, unless your goal is to get a bigger bench. And even then, accessories often work a lot better to increase your bench numbers if you already have bench form perfected.

Ok np friend I'll just have to trust you on that one. Keep practicing your telepathy magic in the gym, my mans

>There just has to be something incorrect if I'm exerting myself to failure but my targeted muscle group isn't sore... right?

No, and DOMS aren't an indication of hypertrophy
I understand where you're coming from, but as long as your form is on point, then you should be making gains

Yes deltoids and triceps have a role but 99% of the time they are not prinary movers unless you have somevserious weaknesses.
Arching your back and pinching shoulder blades together only puts more emphasis on the chest. I dont use leg drive at all and neither should you if your goal is hypertrophy. Leg drive assists you in he bottom of the bench which is where the chest is the most involved.
Bench isnt even my primary chest exercise but you have to be clueless if you think its not good for the chest.

Out of all of the excersises you could be doing it's the worst. Incline/decline pressing and flies are so much more effective

This.

Decline bench press is the fucking G O A T

>decline
Might as well do dips
>incline
It has its place as an accessory but unnecessary as the primary chest exercise.

I know this feel. I do barbell rows, don't feel a thing, so I think I'm not doing enough weight. Add more weight and suddenly I can't even complete full ROM... But still don't feel a thing.

Is this maybe because I do the rowing machine for cardio and I've just built up a lot of endurance?

Why the fuck?

Decline bench takes all the stress off your shoulders and puts you in the most mechanically advantageous position for pressing with your chest

Dips do the exact same thing without the chance of breaking your neck with the bar.
Problem with decline is you cant roll of shame it away and if if you are fatigued it could easily get dangerous. Also you can have neutral grip with dips or use rings if your gym has them which will give your chest more emphasis.

Dips also destroy your shoulders if you're not blessed with genetics of the Gods

How? You are pressing in the exact same way as the decline bench.

Guys we have dumbells which work great for decline benchpressing just like a barbell would

Do you know what takes stress off your shoulders?
Learning how to bench correctly you dyel

YOU'RE GOING TOO HEAVY. GO MUCH LIGHTER BEFORE YOU FEEL YOUR LATS. I ALREADY TOLD YOU THIS.

TRY 40 LBS OR LOWER.

That too but there's a reason people with shoulder pathology do decline bench and also why they can bench more that way even without shoulder injury

Honestly I'm pretty DYEL but I have felt my lats the most when doing regular pullups or neutral grip pullups

Listen to this advice.

And the reason is because decline bench is a lower RoM. Great for the brosplit ego lifting routing along with quarter squats and trap bar deadlifts.

No it's a mechanically advantageous position

>Provided you are not pressing
Im not trying to discredit the rest of your statement but your lats do assist in the ohp.

>Decline bench takes all the stress off your shoulders
>Dips do the exact same thing
This has to to be bai8

For hitting the lats you really want a narrow grip I personally use the row attachment. Try not to use your biceps too much and make sure you stay upright with your chest puffed out.

You're working your Teres Major more than your lats with wide grip pull ups like that. Better off narrowing your grip and going neutral instead of pronated.

So I saw this vid, and since today was lats and back day, I tried this.

Definitely much better. Really felt it. Thanks, user.

>not a single mention of Pendlay Rows.

No wonder you have problems with lats. You are ignoring the best movement for them, besides chinups.

I do them. Still don't feel lats.

3x5, stop fucking doing high reps you're just struggling. Just do 3x10 and focus, you're probably not even getting full rom

Are you doing them correctly for sure? If you are just jerking it up or some half Deadlift to get it up I could see it not working. I pendlay row 2 plate for 3X5 and my lats always feel like the primary mover.

I stand with a straight back, slightly bent knees and pull it all the way up with my "elbows".

I do 115lb 3x5

How often are you able to add weight to progress? As long as you progress it doesn't really matter if you "feel it" cause the weight is getting up from your lats doing the pull. It's weird cause I feel my lats doing rows, but when I squatted 335 5X5 I never "felt it" in my legs but I can guarantee my legs were working.

I'm cutting and I'm stalling right now. Have been stuck on 115

Unless you are just super fat you're not gonna progress on that lift on a cut. Just keep the weights the same while you cut, then when you want to gain more muscle mass you should be able to progress at a moderate caloric surplus.

I'm quite fat, yes

Everytime I've posted my body I was told to cut

Then just lift and continue cutting. It's not a race. Just keep at it until you are comfortable with your weight then work on adding poundage to your lifts.

>lats
>activated

sounds like silly shit to me