How to get in shape for the army? Would 5x5 3 days a week and then running 1.5 miles on my off days be good enough?

How to get in shape for the army? Would 5x5 3 days a week and then running 1.5 miles on my off days be good enough?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm in the army right now and this is my advice.

Just focus on endurance training and running long distances.
In the army noone fucking cares what your bench is or how much you can squat.

Run atleast 5km a day and do endurance training for your muscles in the gym.

This guy gets it. RN myself, no one will ever test you on "strength". Running for vast distances is all that matters. Ideally you want excellent cardio ability with light weight for climbing etc, but enough to carry gear.

Just go running every day for as many km's as you as you can stand. Maybe wear a backpack filled with we clothes.

Also run 3 miles not 1.5. Otherwise 1.5 will always be a chore.

I've seen some soldiers that are big cunts though, what do they do to maintain that size? Surely they lift as well?

Drop the weights, do body workouts. You need endurance. Lower your weight as much as possible, your knees will thank you later.
Pull ups, push ups, sit ups, dips...
Run 10 km every other day, do some sprints once a week.
Das it mane.

and do some /out/ with a heavy backpack and running with boots on shitty terrain
you'll be doing that later a lot

Find the PT scores for your age group. Aim for better than a 300. Depending on your MOS(job) this is where you can really shine in terms of promotion.

Can you at least do 80 Pushups, 80 situps in under 2 minutes? Aim for that even if you think it's bs

Is the 100% army fit app worth using?
Also what should my diet look like? Should I aim for 3000 calories a day high protein clean foods?

>5x5

nooooooooooooo!!

SS is good for nothing, but it's even worse for army training

you need to lose as much fat as possible and be able to run non-stop. anything else is suiperflous

(except for bodyweight stuff - but you will build that up in basic traing. for now just run)

since the regular army soldiers all get to do cardio and bodyweight stuff basicly why do the special ops guys get portrayed as jacked? meaning that they would lift weights

Yeah I was thinking this as well

Soldiering fitness requires 3 things: aerobic endurance (cardio), anaerobic fitness, and load carrying endurance. Push ups and running are just for the barracks, the real challenges will be in the field - moderate intensity activities for long periods, e.g. marching or digging, interspersed with periods of extremely high intensity e.g. fire and movement.

Whatever the fitness requirements are for entry make sure you can pass them easily. After than I'd split your time between running and circuit training (i.e. crossfit or non-affiliated cheaper alternative). Weights are fine as part of a wider training program but on their own they won't do much. If you're only doing 5x5 you will struggle with the endurance aspects and probably end up losing most of your gains at basic anyway.

The rigours of SF mean that guys who can maintain muscle mass in sub-optimal training environments are more likely to succeed than those who need tight control over their lifestyle to keep gains.

They do lift weights along with other training.

They are much more dedicated to their training than regular soldiers

Finally while I'm not denying there are jacked SF operators out there it is probably exaggerated slightly to maintain the prestige of the units, and more than that by the media who don't really know what they're talking about.

Bump

propaganda

Just do whatever the basic test requires you to do but more and better. Anything else you have to do you'll do in basic anyway.

so much this. Its all about endurance, not about how strong you are for 30 seconds.

Because they start bulking up AFTER they're already in the elite unit. I guarantee they were lightweight, lean, and an absolute cardio stud going through selection.

>dying for Israel

Col hazman tzanchan

This is my mindset as well, why run/walk do some shitty parcour now, I'll go through it soon enough and Its not like it's hardcore here, tiny sluts make it through, I will certainly, I worry more about keeping/increasing my gains and how the mates are there

Push ups, sit ups, and running. That's it. Can add hiking with weighted pack of you like. Maybe pull ups to help with the occasional obstacle course, but you won't need that after basic.

don't worry about it , just go sign up we take care of the rest just come down to my office , fatty.

Maximal strength is still important though because it does make your life easier. Carrying 80lbs all day is a lot simpler if you are capable of squatting 400lbs

Army is all cardio and dumbshit. Just become a cop instead.

Nice to see a Brit army thread.

I'm joining PARA's, have my pre-selection in 2 weeks which is just a practice, lost 45lbs of fat and gained a lot of strength since March this year when I started training myself for it.

Look up Stoic Conditioning, it's made by a former Royal marine who left and joined the PARA's just to see if he could do both, which he did, they have some great programmes to get you up to speed for ADSC, Prac and beyond, they even have a selection programme for SF.

I'm doing 2 days a week of running, 1 of which is an endurance run, and the other is interval sprints, my 1.5 mile time was around 14 minutes when I started, and is down to around 11, with a few months left to go until PRAC, I also do 4 days of heavy compound lifts in gym, started at 3x10 as every beginner, and now doing 3x5 + 2x12, I also do a lot of hiking over mixed terrain which I do for fun anyway.

What made you go with the Para regiment? I've been torn between the Paras and The Rifles.

Because I have a friend in SFSG and he does loads of crazy shit, I don't want to sit in a barracks for most of my career doing boring shit and the odd peacekeeping tour in Africa, I want to get deployed and jump out of planes and maybe even go for SF somewhere down the line, and PARA's is the best place for that in my opinion.

Join the marine corps, actually get in shape

This guy gets it

Basically you prepare to get in by killing it in terms of cardio, muscular endurance, and some strength. Once you're in, actual field ops require different things out of you. Lot of carrying and lifting shit. So at that point they maintain cardio but add some bulk.

>if you are capable of squatting 400lbs

Excess muscle bogs you down.

You see all these army fags and the best ones are the one who look all wiry and lean - they have the strength and endurance to do what needs to be done. Not the bulky muscly guys with shit cardio.

>wearing a pack during cardio
explodingknees.exe

This, plus big chance you will be in the field a lot and won't have the time for the gym.

boards.Veeky Forums.org/k/thread/31442220/

The weapons board usually has a general you can look into regarding military enlistment MEG

This more or less. When I was in nobody careD for lifting accomplishments, rather your cardio, ability to do push ups sit ups and pull ups were always being assessed.

Most of your pt will be based on crossfit type circuits, swimming, running if it's stI'll the way it is. Could be different depending on where you're from.

>for the army
Assuming you're doing anything other than special forces, jogging and push-ups are all you have to practice

for the military just run a lot and do pushups and pullups

lifting weights would be a waste of time and energy