What does Veeky Forums think of stronglifts (especially w/r/t their app)?

What does Veeky Forums think of stronglifts (especially w/r/t their app)?

I've done a tiny bit of gym shit in the past, like using machines and stuff, but since moving to my uni gym, which is mostly free weight based, I've realized I'm gonna have to move over to using free weights if I'm gonna get anywhere (which is something I've wanted to do anyway, cuz they're just more effective).

But obviously I'm not sure where to start. I know its a strength programme, but will there be any aesthetic gain from using it? Is the app good or does it have problems? If it is shit, then what else should I do (what are my alternatives)?

Routine seems pretty normal 5x5 is good start to develop strength. Looks pretty handy for other stuff too.

Alright, thanks man. I think I'm gonna go with this one, see how it goes.

Just do SS. What the fuck do you even need an app for when doing a linear beginners program. Just do the same shit every time but with more weight.

>will there be any aesthetic gain from using it
Muscle is muscle. Do SS and read the fucking book. If people actually read it they would read the chapter about assistance and then they wouldn't babble about trex mode and "is SS a meme???".

A: squats, bench/ohp, pullups
B: squats, ohp/bench, deadlift
C: squats, bench/ohp, pullups

Everything 3x5. Add rows 2x12 every other time and curls or any arm work whenever. If you're not getting aesthetic on this then it's probably because you're having shit genetics or you're not doing the program.

I use the app on iPhone. Highly recommended, it keeps reminding you to increase weight, records all your workouts and allows you to graph your progress, gives you a reminder when your 90 seconds of rest between sets is finished. It even tells you when to deload if you're failing too often.

Only thing I dislike is how long doing the entire workout takes if you follow the program perfectly including the wait periods, like 1hr - 1hr15 including loading/unload weights off the barbell. Pretty boring desu.

Also you don't need to buy the 'power pack' for $20, the app works great without it.

Why are you so angry man? I know it's the internet, but this could be a chill thread. I'm new here and I'm just looking for some nice, chill user to come along and show me the ropes; no need to be crabby mang

I'm not angry. Stop projecting. And do SS, faggot.

>Also you don't need to buy the 'power pack' for $20, the app works great without it.

The free version only tracks a 5x5 routine

Isn't Stronglifts mean to be 5x5 only? Like, it's called Stronglifts 5x5?

If you need more than that, there's probably better apps, it's designed solely support a 5x5 program.

What's this groovy Rippletoe cat got that the stronglifts programme doesn't my man?

Yeah but I was trying to substitute the app for SS since the SS app is $14

If you just pretend like you did 5 sets instead of 3 or whatever SS uses, and fill in all the boxes, you can probably use it for SS. And fill in OHP boxes for your cleans sets that you're doing in SS.

just bring a notepad you faggot. it's not even a meme, I used to use excel and do graphs and shit but using a notepad just has something about it

Good programming. A book full of descriptions about what you're doing and why. Which you desperately need since:

Numales literally need an app to tell them what exercise to do next in a program that has 3 exercises and to help them count to 5.

SL is good. App is great. Fat t-rex dyels just parrot the sticky but don't actually lift. Do SL OP. Good luck.

It has something autistic about it, correct.

Just fucki g remember your numbers and put them in excel at home how fucking hard is it?

>power cleans
>less volume when the hallmark of a good beginners program is volume to drill in right motor patterns
>doesn't get you to start with the bar which is objectively the best way
the actual difference between the two work outs is pretty small outside of powercleans but the fact rip wants to get people to powerclean who don't have a coach there to teach them is just stupid

I myself used it for about 4 months before moving to a more advanced routine. It was great tool to get my strength up and familiarize myself with the main compound moves.

I have the app too, tracking progress feels really good. You can look at the graph and see just how much you're getting better.

Almost 2 month in and I just hit 1.5 pl8 squat 1 plate bench and 2 pl8 dead lift. Definitely getting gains.

No, lifting heavy weights several times a week never made anyone look better OP...

Its a great program to start with. Will it turn you into a Zyzz looking mother fucked? No. But no program on earth will at the start of your lifting career with the exception of starting to tren hard and eating clen.

What it will do is get you a decent squat, deadlift and bench and once your 1RM is at a good level you can start looking towards a more aesthetic geared program if you wish on my this time instead of working to 70% of a shitty 1RM for many reps you'll be doing it at 70% of a respectable 1RM for many reps. Thus making better gains than if you just fuck around from the start.

Also do accessory work like chins and dips and curls and skullcrushers while doing SL. If you do these regularly it can actually give a decent aesthetic improvement while also making you stronger.

The one with power cleans is only one version. Which you would know if you actually read the book. Or the post you're quoting. And you would also know how to do power cleans properly if you actually read the book. Rips clean is a very simple variation.

>doesn't get you to start with the bar which is objectively the best way
It's literally and objectively a waste of time to start with an empty bar unless you're a little twink.

standard SS has powercleans and no-one is going to powerclean properly from reading a book; it's a highly technical lift

>starting out with any weight on the bar
if you take any school kid who doesn't do gymnastics and get them to do a full depth squat you'll find that they don't have the flexibilty for it
if you don't have the flexibility to even squat you sure as heck shouldn't be doing it with weight; and because they can't properly squat they will develop bad form and overdevelop some muscles while underdeveloping others

Yes, but if you're smart you just hit the first three sets then tell the app you did five and guess what? It actually believes you and tracks your progress anyway! Stupid piece of shit.

Truth is, when you get to a high enough weight, sets require more and more energy. For beginners/intermediates, it is perfect.

SL 5x5 becomes untenable for proficient/advanced lifters.

yes

it's a beginner routine

Cool. You sound very knowledgeable. How many school kids did you train?

>highly technical
It really fucking isn't.

i train at a weightlifting gym that is sent school kids from grade 5 to grade 12 and all of them have the same problem

lordosis and kyphosis from too much sitting, and all the problems that come with it including bad ankle mobility weak hamstrings poor balance a weak core and weak lower traps

it is a technical lift i know you think it's the easiest thing because you just pick up a barbell and go but unless you know the indepth nature of the first second and third pull as well as different variants of cleans from different regions in the world and why certain body types are suited to different versions of the clean i really don't think you know shit about it

Confirmed for not knowing how to properly power clean. Another armchair ss parrot.

You can't seriously think you can do a complex mechanical action just by reading about it?

It's like saying you can play pieces of piano music just by reading the score, having never played piano before. It's absolutely idiotic

Jesus dude, relax. Man this thread got heated fast over two routines which are identical aside from volume and OHP or clean