Does anyone else have an exercise science degree, or is anyone in school to be a PT or PTA?

Does anyone else have an exercise science degree, or is anyone in school to be a PT or PTA?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjw9ISJxanPAhVBwYMKHbKfCqMQFggcMAA&url=http://newsexaminer.net/food/mcdonalds-to-open-restaurant-run-by-robots/&usg=AFQjCNHS_MXWEVdaDD5J3VR0jpsWUqIgyA&sig2=InNiNT-ttztsINFrkkAYMg&bvm=bv.133700528,d.amc
blog.caranddriver.com/nhtsa-chief-autonomous-cars-should-cut-death-rate-in-half/
thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/24/robot-nurses-will-make-shortages-obsolete.html
linkedin.com/pulse/could-our-future-nurses-caregivers-robots-alec-ross
techinsider.io/japan-developing-carebots-for-elderly-care-2015-11
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Being a Physical Therapist is shit, it's an over-saturated job market. Notice that your pic says "Physical Therapist ASSISTANT".

Just go do PA, that's the real easy to get into/good pay health care job

Physician's Assistant?

yes, user, that's why my post asked if anyone is in school to be a PT or PTA.

PT is far from oversaturated, huge growth expected just like PTA. Thanks for trying.

Pay for PTA is high as fuck though, median salary estimates range from 39k to 52k. that's enough for me, I don't need to be rich

Student here, got any questions?

not really...thinking about singing up for PTA but just depressed that my degree in exercise science apparently doesn't count for anything...though it should make me get admitted over other applicants

Yup, kinesiology undergrad here and applying to DPT programs currently

Sorry if this is a little broad, but how much of the common fitness stuff spouted on Veeky Forums is actually legit vs. just bro-science? is bodyweight exercise really just a meme?

also this one's a bit more personal but my left wrist has this dull pain whenever i bend it backwards (e.g. like when in pushup position). putting any extra weight on it or bending it too far makes it hurt a fuckload in one particular spot. googling it, it looks like the pain is right around something called my scaphoid, but only on the posterior side (opposite my palm). anything i can do to fix that or should i just see a doctor?

>Sorry if this is a little broad, but how much of the common fitness stuff spouted on Veeky Forums is actually legit vs. just bro-science?
I don't go on Veeky Forums enough anymore to know what is being talked about here.

>is bodyweight exercise really just a meme?
Depends on the context and goal. For rehabilitative purposes and especially in the elderly population, BW ex is great.

>also this one's a bit more personal but my left wrist has this dull pain whenever i bend it backwards (e.g. like when in pushup position). putting any extra weight on it or bending it too far makes it hurt a fuckload in one particular spot. googling it, it looks like the pain is right around something called my scaphoid, but only on the posterior side (opposite my palm). anything i can do to fix that or should i just see a doctor?
What cause the initial injury? If you fell on your hand it could be a Scaphoid injury. Double check to see if the pain is localized to your anatomical snuffbox. Also, you should see your doctor but keep in mind that scaphoid fractures are not easily seen on x rays.

alright. i'll ask the doc. thanks man

If you're planning on doing PT, an undergrad in exercise science is great, especially once all the gen ed classes are out of the way. Anatomy, physiology, and exercise physiology are great, and I took principles of strength and conditioning which basically just meant we lifted for class and got prepared to take the CSCS exam

i graduated in 2010

seems like my degree would be useless now

Ya thats the thing, I've you're going PT, PA, or med school ex science is a great and relatively easy undergrad (if that stuff interests you), but there's not much you can do with it otherwise.

exercise science is not an easy undergrad. it is one of the most strenuous programs requiring most credit hours and advanced courses in multiple sciences as well as volunteering, lab work etc

it drives me crazy that people think otherwise. by far one of the hardest undergrad majors outside of hard mathemathics and comp science/engineering, if not THE hardest.

I guess it depends on where you go and what your strengths are, like I said its relatively easy if you enjoy the topics. I spent my first 2 years in the engineering program and exercise science was a breeze comparatively after I switched. That's because I enjoy the hands on stuff like anatomy and physiology more than things like calculus and physics. But ya, tons of lab work

Im in junior year of nursing school

Hoping I get my BSN and dont fail out

I'm a sophomore going for my BSN, what are you planning on specializing in?

I wanna get some experience in acute care and then apply to a masters program for anesthesia

What would be the smarter option.

Registered nurse or PTA?

BSN

so much more opportunity/ different career paths

>BSN
What career paths don't involve handling poop?

>flight nurse
>school nurse
>nurse practitioner
>ER work
>anesthesia

So many different things you could be doing

why..? what is up with betas wanting to be male cuckold nurses? just because you can make $30 an hour you're willing to spend your life working some stressful, degrading, ass wiping job as some sick old fart's servant? by the way, robots are going to replace 90% of all nurses and put them all out of work within the next 15 years. your knowledge of how to be someone's servant is not going to get you very far down the road

Work that involves face to face interaction will be in greater demand as automation accelerates.

My work is very respected.

>male

The worst part about being a male nurse is they always make you help transport and walk the fat fuck patients

Because I'd rather be "beta cuckold nurse" than continue my electrician apprenticeship. I fell for the trade meme but I like helping people and absolutely hate most of my alcoholic co workers.

lol BU nerd

think about what you do on a daily basis as a nurse:
give medications, document charts, taking doctor's orders, configure IVs, doing blood pressure, monitoring patients, wiping asses, inserting catheters in dicks..

doesn't this sound like a large percentage of what you spend your day doing? there are cars that can drive THEMSELVES 100% with 0% accidents now. what makes you think robots can't do 99% of what you do throughout your day within the next few years even?

nursing is all memorizing. there are barely any semi-difficult logical problems to solve. its worthless to study without that $30/hour

because people dont feel as comfortable around a robot.

A large part of nursing is education. You need to make sure that patients are complying with the doctors orders. Nurses are the doctors eyes and ears. Doctors spend very little time with each patient. They need nurses to understand what is going on.

PTA doesn't do the same duties as a nurse whatsoever

>beta cuckold
nice projection friend, i'll see you on the other side of my $50k career while you try to do some IT shit and get replaced by an $8.25/hr pajeet

I'm in school to be a PTA

how do you know that?
i'm sure there will still be a nursing profession for a very long time, as there would be a need to have someone supervising automated nurses, as well as providing some human interaction,

but i'm saying, and i can say this with 100% confidence, that a large % of nurses are going to be out of jobs in the near future as technology will create opportunities to cut down a significant portion of healthcare cost.

why pay a nurse 60k a year when you can make a robot that works more efficiently for 10k and pay it a wage of $0?

Just so you know, you are not going to get a PTA job with no other education other than an associates degree. The PT market is saturated beyond belief currently, most PT aides that i know (1 step even below a PTAssistant) have bachelors degrees in kines and are probably waiting to get into DPT programs

Sure thing buddy

When robots get to the point where they can perfectly imitate people no one will have jobs

well yes you are, the market is not oversaturated at all and 100% of people at the program i'm going to find work as PTA.

it's amazing that people post just to post discouraging shit that directly contradicts reality, rofl PTA is one of the fastest growing jobs in america

This is accurate

source: I'm a current PT aid with a bachelors and applying for DPT programs, and the 2 people that had the job before me were in the same situation. That being said, just because I have a bachelors in kines and a PTA only has an associates, I'm not qualified to be a PTA. Now a bachelors + PTA associate degree would be solid

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying to PTA, im just talking from what i know in my area, and yes i do work at a physical therapy clinic and have for the last 2 years. Ill reword.

If you live in San Diego,Just so you know, you are not going to get a PTA job with no other education other than an associates degree. The PT market is saturated beyond belief currently, most PT aides that i know (1 step even below a PTAssistant) have bachelors degrees in kines and are probably waiting to get into DPT programs

reminder that this board is literal retards

>ALL UR JOB GOING TO BE REPLACE
>IT OVERSATURATE THERE R NO JOB

Where are you located?

>He doesn't work in a children's hospital
>He didn't specialize
???

male nurses should not be allowed to work in a children's hospital

my degree is in exercise biology, but i went to medschool instead

google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjw9ISJxanPAhVBwYMKHbKfCqMQFggcMAA&url=http://newsexaminer.net/food/mcdonalds-to-open-restaurant-run-by-robots/&usg=AFQjCNHS_MXWEVdaDD5J3VR0jpsWUqIgyA&sig2=InNiNT-ttztsINFrkkAYMg&bvm=bv.133700528,d.amc

blog.caranddriver.com/nhtsa-chief-autonomous-cars-should-cut-death-rate-in-half/

its already starting, buddy. being a nurse is like being a dishwasher. there were no decent dishwashing machines 10 years ago, but now there are, and you can't get a job as a dishwasher.
people will still have jobs. those jobs are the ones that actually require problem solving and creativity. you're a nurse. you have no real skill

>there were no decent dishwashing machines 10 years ago
false
>you can't get a job as a dishwasher
you can at literally any restaurant

>we're going to replace the medical system with idiocracy

that's enough out of you, high schooler. run along now.

>gross men touching pure and innocent children at their weakest moments

small restaurants will find that buying multiple dishwashers and taking up working space is less efficient than paying someone $8 an hour to do it along with ability to do other tasks.

however nursing is a different case. getting a machine to do simple tasks like injecting medication, documenting, taking blood pressure, adjusting IVs, don't seem like it would cost a ton of money, and seems like it would be far more efficient than paying an overpriced servant 60k a year to do so

That wouldnt be treating the patients like people.

You cant run a hospital like a meat packing plant

This, I know with the multiple hospital stays I've had and family have had, the staff and especially the nurses are a huge part of how good the overall experience is. People need human interaction in stressful times like that

Seriously, I don't get where that guy spouting oversaturation is getting his false information from

this isn't pharmacy or law, dumbass

>That wouldnt be treating the patients like people.

you sound like you came straight out of nursing school with all that holistic shit. the point is, as long as machines do more tasks that nurses do, its taking a large percentage of accumulated hours of work away, and mathematically should cut down on number of jobs. if patients need human interaction, a few trained customer support worker can do that instead of having 20 nurses running around making bank off of the funds given to the hospital

you've never had a job. stop typing.

Will I get a a gf if I become a nurse?

>tfw when you are quiet insular girl outshone by your hardworking and/or prodigious classmates BUT you are still the most fuckable.

>i'm mad because i have no skill

Not the user you're replying to, but you have no concept of how jobs work

There's tons of qt nurses, but idk how they feel toward male nurses. Probably have a better shot as some kind of other healthcare person who's in contact with nursing staff

Lmao

Go back to r/futurology

You have obviously never worked a day in your life

Im in uni doing sports science and coaching, then after tjat im doing a few years in the navy as a PTI for some experience.

You don't know shit mate. Having human interaction is big part of health care. Robots will never replace nurses like you are implying

To the anons that did an exercise science degree what was your dissertation topic on? Going into my final year and kinda stumped on what i want to do for mine

>the armchair allied health know-it-all

If you think nurses will get replaced there is no hope for you. Grade A clueless.

You must be an eurobro, no dissertations are required for a bachelor degree here in the states.

Really? That seems strange, what would you do in your final year like a project?

man you're literally an ass-wiping servant in denial. you can't even comprehend what i'm saying. are you an expert in the job market? why don't you explain how i'm wrong

thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/24/robot-nurses-will-make-shortages-obsolete.html

linkedin.com/pulse/could-our-future-nurses-caregivers-robots-alec-ross

techinsider.io/japan-developing-carebots-for-elderly-care-2015-11

Hahaha.