I'm a second year medical resident ama

I'm a second year medical resident ama

Other urls found in this thread:

nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How do I get a qt gf?

do you like girls

make lots of money

sure

Can I get a large fry with that?

there's a painful lump on my asshole that i got after fingering myself, should i see a doctor?

Are steroids bad? Y/n?

checked

hemorrhoids

for what purpose?

Seconding this

is there a safe way for me to squat if i have misaligned hips?

Anabolic Steroids for bodybuilding purposes

give us a fat story

what program?

third year med student here. Please let me go home when there's no patients to see and I just sit there watching you write your note in the afternoon waiting for you to finally notice me and tell me to go home

use less weight

I would never recommend solely for that purpose

cant think of any outstanding ones right now

internal med

Tips for counting / figuring out the vertebral level in plain radiography?

How do I get into med school besides the obvious i.e. get good grades?

>I'm a second year medical resident ama

Since you're IM and almost a practicing physician, would you say it was worth it? I keep debating whether or not I should become a doctor. It seems like a great thing to do but I keep hearing over and over from doctors that they hope their kids don't go into it/isn't worth it like it used to be etc...

What do you think of health care changing from doctor does everything and tells everyone what to do, to a more team based effort? I'm a pharmacy student btw

>internal med

mirin

you gonna go for a fellowship?

do something that shows you're actually interested in medicine eg volunteering in the hospital or even better getting your EMT license or going on a medical mission. Do something cool medically related that will set you apart from the standard good grade applicant

or just be black and not retarded

How hard was MCAT? What were grades like? How difficult is med school itself?

3rd year biofag here, considering taking the plunge but nervous

Still one of the best paying jobs and with the best security.

But, yeah, I would say it is a ton of work.

How hard is it to get a sports medicine residency?

>I would never recommend solely for that purpose

then what good are yout o us?

I'm skellyfat with gyno. What would you recommend? I get made fun of at the beach, if I bulk I wont be skelly anymore but my gyno will blow out, if I cut my gyno will be less noticeable and i'll be spooky skelly.

>will set you apart

What was your major, GPA, and hobbies?

I was thinking of doing BioMed, but the degree is shit, so I've been thinking of EE instead as a potential back up. It would also set me apart from typical Bio majors if I can keep a ~3.5 GPA.

Besides that, I was thinking of volunteering abroad and trying to start a business before applying to med school. Maybe that will set me apart

And yeah, hospital volunteering and interesting hobbies are almost a requirement at this point

Have fun with 26 credit hour semesters.

>I can only cut or bulk
wut? Are you on roids? You can't just eat TDEE and lift???

>Have fun with 26 credit hour semesters.

Better than having a degree worth less than toilet paper

Does lifting, insulting strangers on the internet and posting pictures of sad frogs on Japanese image boards count as interesting hobbies?

pls

will the fat part burn away and i'll put on muscle and end up the same weight?
Sounds ideal for me but I didn't know that was how it worked

Let's do a MD thread?

Endocrinologist in training here. Fancy word for glands doctor

C-can DO students be a part of this thread too?

drug researcher and pharmacy student here. Hate pharmacy and dont want to be a drug researcher full time, applying to medical school this year.

Might be a stupid question but which specialties have the best opportunities to work as both a researcher and a clinician?

bio major, 3.3 GPA, hobbies: rugby

I did a lot of medical volunteering including 2 medical mission trips and worked as a medical assistant for 2 years before med school which definitely helped me be set apart

Volunteering abroad and starting a business will help you stand out for sure

Just try to have an interesting story and don't be weird

>worrying about specialties before even getting accepted

this nigga...

any academic residency program will have tons of opportunities for you to do research and be a clinician. You can also apply to dual MD/PhD programs too

Pharmacist here, please give me a referral to any openings in your hospital so I can get the fuck out of retail.

did you do residency?

Can you even satisfy a girl without an 8x6, doc?

Yes

Pre-med here, I've heard horror stories about the first 2 years of med school and people dropping out/not passing (thus, throwing away 100k)

Just how tough are the boards?

>implying that needed
Smaller hospitals towns don't require them, and you don't need a residency to work in the main pharmacy at a hospital.

Nope, by the time I actually had my first hospital rotation and realized I liked it, it was already past the application date for the vast majority of residencies.

I've applied for every pharmacist opening at every hospital in my state. If they aren't required they sure as hell would help. Lots of listings say residency/experience preferred and I've learned that I have basically 0% chance of getting it with my shit resume and no referral.

Met anyone throughout med school as an Allied Health major? People say it is much more difficult if you're not a Bio major

How cringy is Veeky Forumss advice on anabolics?

Can you tell the D.O.s at my school to stop pretending to be superior to us DMDs because it's not like they're real doctors either?

I finished step 1 this past summer

Shit was hard, studying for it was one of the hardest things academically I've done but I'm glad its over

If you put in the work during the first 2 years of school you should have no fear of failing. Getting a competitive score is another matter though

In my class we've only had 1 person completely quit the program and that was after the first semester of first year. Since then we've had 4-5 people who had to repeat a year. Its pretty rare to completely drop out (for US schools at least). Usually people just take a year off and join the year below

DO student here

lol'd hard

What school you at? LECOM?

>accepted with 3.3 GPA
>I had to do a fucking special master's program with my 3.3 GPA so they didn't think I was retarded

Yes. Pre Meds don't have time to lift or shitpost. You do. That's interesting.

Midwestern AZ. And I say that in mostly jest, but man some of the D.O students here are real cunty.

How do you have no referrals? It sounds like you just got out of school, which means you should have at least been close to some professors. You could always go for a residency too. It's not like it's super hard to get into.

I live in Texas, and the local hospital where my pharmacy school is located is in dire need of hospital pharmacist. They literally hire 2-3 every 6-12 months because people leave for either bigger towns or residencies.

The cringy factor is buying shady shit from shady vendors for vanity reasons. Sometimes I can see people shooting up too much too fast, but it's not that common.

I can condone it after 35-40, tho, if you get a good md that helps you and buy lab grade stuff

Dear god.

Did you have a job during step 1? Or quit and devoted your entire life to the books?

Wait, you can repeat a year if you fail? Do you mean people take a year off if they fail the first year? That's so much money just..gone.

Well for a Bio major, you'd expect someone to get over 3.5 if they were serious about med school.

Referrals, not references. Like a current hospital employee saying "hey there's an opening here and I think you'd be great for it." I was just reading some stats, referrals from current employees make up a huge percentage of new hires. I have my Oregon license and I'm studying for the California exam, guess I could look into Texas too.

>second year medical resident
>knowing shit
Fuck off.

>3.3 gpa
how the fuck did they accept you

dont have a job while in school. Living off of student loans and some financial assistance from parents which I'm lucky to have.

Honestly don't even worry about boards. For you just focus on the MCAT and getting into school. Then only in your second year should you start worrying about boards

You can repeat a year if you fail and you just come back the next year. Its not a big deal desu. Yeah it sucks to pay an extra semester but another 10-20K is a drop in the bucket compared to 4 years

Med students in general can be douches. Hopefully you won't think we're all like that

I did shit in my first 2 years of undergrad and then got straight A's for the last 2 years. The upward trend and a fairly good MCAT score saved me

I guarantee you'll get a hospital job in Texas. But don't expect to work in any of the densely populated areas until you have minimum 2-3 years of experience+BCPS certification.

>not knowing R2's practically run the hospital
>laughing_sluts.png

>Med students in general can be douches. Hopefully you won't think we're all like that

To be honest, dental students can be the same way too. I've just come to realize that the type of personality that makes into these fields with qualification barriers tend to be douchelord gunners and perfectionists. But I've made my circle of chill friends across the health sciences so I know you guys aren't really dicks.

Thanks for the uplifting advice. Definitely more amped to take the plunge. For some reason I was under the impression that if you fail the boards, you basically start from the very beginning or get kicked out of the school. 10-20k ain't bad.

I've been working as a medical scribe for 3 years at a lvl 1 ER department so I hope that gives me a leg up cause I have a low GPA, around 3.3 as well.

MCAT scores have changed to triple digits now. Were you using the double digit scores?

scribe will definitely help a lot

failing school vs failing boards is different. Failing school means taking the year off and returning the next year

Failing boards is a whole other story. Do NOT fail your boards. 1 failure closes off a lot of residencies

I had the double digit score

Shit. Yeah, that's my biggest fear. I know someone that failed the boards and she's basically a NEET now cause there's no more opportunities. Man that makes me nervous.

Are boards just pass or fail or do you get a specific score?

scratch that, I forgo that you obv get a score.

What score did you get on your boards?

I got a 231 on step 1

Its right about the average and for what I'm interested in (IM or EM) I think it'll be alright

You get specific score for step 1 and strip 2 ck. Step 2 cs is pass fail. Your scores are very important if you want to do a competitive residency. But not failing Step 1 on your first attempt is the most important. If you fail, you've basically limited yourself to the bottom few least competitive specialties, and you need to do well everywhere else. I did bad on step 1 because of poor study habits, but did pretty well on step 2. Some programs value one more than the other.

4th year med fag applying to peds because I hate old people.

Damn, 231. That's exactly the minimum for Pathology which is spec I would want. I hear Pathology is not very competitive anyway.

What would you say are the most competitive and least competitive?

And since you did bad on step 1, what were your options?

How viable would you say it is for a US citizen, trained abroad, to work in the states as a physician? I might want to try avoiding debt as much as possible.

I'd kill myself if the only option was family medicine.

Good luck with your upcoming interviews brah

u wot m8

233 is the mean score for path

source: nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf

>trained abroad

What do you mean by this? Are you talking about foreign med school or foreign residency programs?

Either way if you're a US citizen STAY IN THE US FOR SCHOOL SERIOUSLY

I was thinking along the lines of foreign residency programs, specifically cuba or spain

Stay in the states. You'll most likely be considered an independent applicant, which are low priority, regardless if you are a US citizen.

Is OP black?

but why though? Will you really save that much money?

I was under the impression that if you want to practice in the US you have to go through a US residency program if you're a foreign doc

I'm rotating now at a hospital with a lot of IMGs and one of the 1st year residents was an attending in Africa but now is an intern

How do i tell when I'm fucking up my knee(s)? What are the actual signs that tells me I should be looking for better instruction in regards to form.

How much are you guys looking forward to MACRA?

Not OP, but my bff went to med school after working as an engineer for a few years, he is currently a ER resident at a Seattle hospital.

Every person who complains about being a doctor and says they hope their kids don't do it are people who went straight from college to med school to a hospital. They seriously have no real concept that other jobs don't pay nearly as much. It is a metric fuck ton of work, and depending on your specialty you may have to work a lot, like a lot a lot, but there are huge rewards if you can hack it.

>I was under the impression that if you want to practice in the US you have to go through a US residency program if you're a foreign doc
That changes everything then, I guess either option is really not worth it. I asked because I have seen a couple of indian doctors and one mexican doctor in houston but after some quick research it apparently takes a long time for them to be deemed as qualified and less than 40% manage to actually get residencies, most end up doing research or pharmaceutical work. I guess doing great on the boards would help but that's a big risk.

Maybe it's a stupid question idk but

Do interns and residences get paid?

Aussie here

Didn't mean to tag anyone. Shit.

yes

usually around 50,000

How do you guys study? What techniques do you use?

I've tried heaps and can't seem to trick myself into sitting still for more than a hour before mentally checking out

How did you prepare for the MCAT and what parts on it are difficult?

What was your MCAT score?