What's a good martial art to practice but won't have a high risk of injury?

What's a good martial art to practice but won't have a high risk of injury?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ylVvk52Wbd0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tai Bo or Tai Chi (because you're a pussy)

rex kwon do

I work a blue collar trade job which is very dependent on my ability to function normally. I can't risk getting an injury because that would put me out of work.

If making smart choices makes me a pussy, I think I'd rather be a pussy.

Basically this. There's always going to be a risk for injury with any martial art. It's the nature of learning how to fight.

sounds like pussy talk

i would recommend jiu jitsu/jujutsu

it's pretty much 100% grappling and if your partner starts hurting you, you can just tap

there's a risk of injury in any physical activity but since there's no striking in the core curriculum of jiu jitsu it would probably have the lowest risk of injury vs the highest usefulness in a real fight

Set sheckles down in public areas trying to find Jewish master, find him and beg to learn Jew Kwan Do. Become a Jewish master within a couple of years and a few thousand sheckels

get a job

you fucking faggot pussy.

I have a job and know a martial art.

Because im not a gigantic faggot you twink

>white collar, yo
And aikido. It's like judo++ in terms of gentleness.

I understand there is risk of injury, I just don't want a really high risk of injury.

A buddy of mine has some long term head injuries from boxing for so many years, for example. Another guy I know broke his leg in Tae Kwon Do.

You wouldn't know what pussy sounded like if you dipped your ear between the flaps.

Sounds good actually. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu looks like a lot of fun and a good cardio workout.

10/10

good luck with your staph infection

>telling people on the number 2 NEET capital of the internet (after /r9k) to get a job

Kek

I've heard mixed things about aikido. Some say it's really bad, others say it's good, and some say it depends on the school. What's the final verdict?

BBJ might be a little rough for you, daffodil.

judo. definitely absolutely judo.

if you know how to properly fall and roll with the throws you wont sustain any serious injuries.

go be a jobless neet somewhere else. as a plumber i can relate to OPs sentiment. your well being is your money maker. if you have a dislocated shoulder or broken foot you make no money.

Muay thai, it's actually useful

Tai Chi is actually some pretty dope ass shit.

3 gun.

Kendo

Did jiu jitsu for about 6 months a few years ago

In that time I twisted my ankle really fucking bad and also another white belt who wrestled in high school and was way too aggressive put a kimura on me too fast and hard and fucked my shoulder up which still bothers me to this day when benching

Boxing.

As long as you don't compete or spar with any retards who go hard, you won't get injured ever.

Most of the training is on the bag, fitness or drills and light sparring is literally tapping them hard enough to let them know you could get a full strength punch in. If both of you are just there to learn and not trying to win, then nobody gets hurt.

Grappling sports are at higher risk of joint injuries and muay thai is dangerous because everybody has incorrect technique and feet from broken easier than hands.

That being said, make sure you have good technique if you go hard on the heavy bag.

That being said, competing, even in amateurs is dangerous, especially if you're above middleweight. You're practically guaranteed to get black eyes and maybe even retina detachments.

Your fighting style also plays a part. Brawlers and swarmers are at higher risk of injury compared to out boxers.

This man speaks the truth. Just make sure you go to a boxing gym with competent coaches

lmfao

>I want to learn combat
>can't risk injury

Sounds like the pussy getting bullied

That's why I said don't compete.

The only division they may be safe would be light or flyweight amateurs. They don't hit hard enough to do any real damage.

Thiss, i studied aikido all college. Great grappling and its 100% self defense

Lies. I see so many injuries in judo. A friend of mine had a cervical fracture, another friend broke her clavicle, and it's not like these people were noobs who didn't know what they were doing. The girl who broke her clavicle took silver in nationals the year before it broke. It's still a great sport, but you're gonna get hurt.

Kyokushin is legit.

Full contact
Hard as fuck grading, full contact sparring, handstands, push-ups etc
Never had any injuries

>Aikido
>defence

Didn't know larping counted as self defence.

seconded. My ex gf was a brown belt. During a competition her competitor landed on her knee. Went straight to hospital and needed reconstruction

Jiu jitsu is horrible for injuries. arthritis in your hands, fucked up elbows, fucked up lower back from being stacked and fucked up neck from chokes and cranks. You actually believe a sport that revolves around torquing peoples joints is low risk of injury

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about

Don't forget fucking your knees up too. Triangles and then knee locks when you progress

OP id say aikido is what your looking for

I don't think you can be injured in Tae Kwon do even if you tried.
Sure, you're gonna get hit and it will hurt at times, but nothing else.

>aikido
>good
Enjoy being killed by someone who did a real martial art once in middle school

Kek what pussy gym did you go to

I mean it depends how far you want to go in the sport to be honest.

I think boxing would be perfectly fine if you just spar within your gym or even just have fights at an amateur level with headgear.

bjj is TERRIBLE if you want to avoid injuries.

Listen to and . Yes, you can always tap, but it IS about fucking with your opponents joints. Plus, "serious" people who do bjj as part of mma training will not stop if you tap. They need the ref to separate you. I've also seen people do intermediate/advanced knee locks on NOVICES because they were showing off, but they could've really hurt them.

Even during drills, you can get paired with someone who is a total nutjob and will try to break your arm because of misdirected anger.

Well actually aikido is kinda ok if you have done a striking martial art because at least it's something and you won't act like a retard if someone grabs you. Alternatively it can be used as an intro to real martial arts.

My trainer was a big Nigerian guy who boxed his way out of poverty to move to a first world country.
I've trained with bronze medalists at the commonwealth games at his gym.

They do proper shit. Boxing isn't about going hard in sparring and toughening up by getting the shit beaten out of you. That's how thugs train, and it only makes you weaker.

Mind you I think everybody should have that experience once, just to know what it's like to get beaten up and learn to handle the adrenaline. But overall boxing is about technique and strategy. Above the minimum required fitness of three 3 minute Rounds, the rest is just mental strategy and skill.

If you go to a gym where the coach has you beating each other up all day long, then you're doing it wrong. You don't learn anything other than how to take a punch and you never learn proper skill.

Headgear only decreases the incidence of cuts. It does not prevent ophthalmic injuries or black eyes. Or concussions.

>the Commonwealth games

wwe

I personally enjoy wrestling. You can pick up grecko and learn some semi useful grapple techniques. You also have a low risk of injury with a good partner, lower if you know how to fall.

jesus christ what a fucking fag

pls go robot

Be fucking careful, don't roll with any other newbies. Stick to blue belts and at least whites with a few stripes. BJJ can fuck you up. It doesn't have the impacts of Judo (usually), but it's still a game of pressure and putting people into positions that break the human body in various ways.

My first month in, I tore all the cartilage between my ribs along the left side of my body. Couldn't walk right, couldn't sleep, couldn't sit up, couldn't get full breaths in. I'd black out if I sneezed too hard. Fucking HURT. Later I got an elbow hyperextension which wasn't bad but still fucked my arm up moderately.

Go gentle in BJJ. Play it very safe. Tap early, tap often, as they say. There's no benefit to being aggressive and as fuck as a white belt. Learn how to break your friend's arms safely before going forcefully. If you're stubborn and proud, you WILL get hurt. If it feels like something is about to give, it probably is.

>I think I'd rather be a pussy.

you're more than half way there.

>also another white belt who wrestled in high school and was way too aggressive

This is far too common. All my BJJ injuries so far have been at the hands of other white belts. Try to roll with blues and above more often than not. You'll get mid-roll instructions and they're unlikely to injure. Hyper-aggressive whitebelts are the fucking worst.

I'd say do boxing. Just go to a gym where the trainers have 10+ years experience and your set.

YES

>09/26/16(Mon)12:18:42 No.38852454 [Reply]

As you can see, there's no objective truth to the question you've asked. My advice is to try a few different clubs/styles in your area... most give a free trial, but you might need to try it a few times to see if you like it and what the club is like.

Given you want to minimize injury, I'd say the most important thing for you is to find a place that has a competent trainer and chill students. If you can find this you'll enjoy your training infinitely more than if you went to whatever meme fighting style everybody is in love with this year that is flooded with meatheads and shitty coaches.

Pepper spray

Don't listen to this faggot. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Tai Chi is a great martial art to learn if you are interested in health, fitness, and piece of mind. Tai chi is a defensive martial art which helps you conduct a fight, use your opponents movement against him, as well as protect yourself. It's also cheap and versatile. You can practice anywhere with or without a partner.

if you can practice fighting without something to hit, or a person to wrangle, that's like practicing your deadlift without plates m9

confirmed noodle neck

Where do you live?

This, any martial art will do if the people in the gym are chill. If you really don't want to risk injuries then don't do any competitions. Cometitions are all about winning. If someone tapsout in a judo match and the ref doesnt notice, it's not a win. Incompitent refs and turbo autists who don't want to lose are the #1 cause of injury. You will not find these guy's in propper gyms. If you do, it's time to go to another gym.

>tfw trying to bulk
>do martial arts 5 times a week
>burn calories like a nuclear reactor
>stomach is a little bitch so find it hard to eat

>Yes, you can always tap
With knee and shoulder locks it really takes a lot of experience to know when to tap and especially beginner should really tap the moment they're locked in, which of course they don't do because they lack experience. And a joint injury can put you out of work for months.

OP go for boxing. If you avoid sparring the chance of injury is almost non existent (look into white collar boxing) and even when you spar, a black eye won't matter in a blue collar job.

Tai Chi is not a martial art.

Confirmed faggots who don't know shit about martial arts.

Muay thai or boxing, I've been practicing both for 6 months and it isn't that bad

I did boxing and judo and muay thai and I agree with this.

I'm not saying it's without value, I'm saying it's got relatively low merit with regards to combat compared to alternatives. Gotta have clear goals to assess an option's value son.

>You don't learn anything other than how to take a punch
Tbt, I'd like to learn that at some point but I'd still like to keep my nose straight.

stop being a pussy and learn to kickbox or bjj or something

Is krav maga any good or is it total bullshit?

Keep punching the air, friend. Maybe if you flail in the shower you can be the next Michael Phelps, too

I mean yea it's good but headbutting your oponent's crotch in the street fight is not that good. I mean you are not a soldier.

Again all you're doing is showing how ignorant you are of the subject. If you spent more time actively learning about tai chi rather than dismissing it all together you'd see it for what it truly is. There are three levels of tai chi:

Form, which you can practice by yourself or with others. This is to help you understand your own flow and to find your root. You practice it slowly to build muscle memory. Every movement is a strike or a block that comes from the center.

Light Contact, also called push hands. This is where you begin to apply what you've been practicing. Push hands is all about using you opponent's momentum against them while keeping your momentum balanced. Keeping yourself loose and flowing properly is key.

Full contact, isn't generally seen in the US but is a fully realized fighting style. Tai chi is short hand for what basically mean Supreme Ultimate Boxing. This implements kicks and open-hand strikes. The goal is to disrupt your opponents center letting them fight themselves as you redirect attacks. The ultimate goal is to disable your opponent further by breaking limbs and attacking their core.

Every mma fighter I've seen who uses tai chi is better than his opponents because he can flow in battle.

>i just gotta learn how to fall bro its easy youll never get injured
I get that you're lying to the outside world but fo you truly believe this?

Aikido is more art than martial. Cool and fun but not effective outside the gym. Too many mcdojos.

Tai Chi is a meme martial art as far as combat goes.
Try and find any videos of tai chi being used in a fight. The only video's you will find will be unrealistic demonstrations more akin to some kind of faggot yoga.
pic related. A demonstration video showing the only type of opponent tai chi might be effective against

I saw this video. Idk I think can be taken seriously considering you do full contact version.

>meme

I don't think you know what that word means.

youtu.be/ylVvk52Wbd0

Fighter in red is using Tai Chi. Keep talking out your ass, faggot.

Internal Chinese martial art styles, great for the health, mind and blood flow.

Any striking martial art without doing sparring or that bone conditioning stuff.

People get injured in martial arts from sparring, fucking up moves and conditioning their bone strength (muay Thai fucks your bones)

oh gods, not jake mace again. That guy is probably the worst martial artist that has ever been in the history of ever. Please disregard anything he does or says.

Tai chi is very, very effective in it's actual application, however there are almost no teachers in the US who teach it as combat anymore. It became popular way back in the day because the guy who synthesized it kicked everybody's ass.

Fuck off with your weebo shit. If you want to be a nerd at least to something more respectable like HEMA

I had to stop doing martial arts just to bulk after I bulk it'll be easy as fuck to cut since martial arts is one big cardio

You probably need to come to terms that if you want a good martial art, then it is a full contact thing. Ironically, the martial arts that get labelled "mere sports now" are usually the best choice in their respective field (i.e grappling, striking etc)
This include; boxing, Judo, kyokishin karate, kickboxing, thai boxing and bjj to name a few.

To put something in perspective, world class fighters like Brendan Schaub who have fought MMA agree that, they probably do not want their own children to get involved in fighting MAs such as boxing, wrestling or MMA, BUT, they would absolutley incourage Brazilian Jiu-jitsu as a legit and, of all the serious groups that go in to making a good mixed martial artists and effective fighter.

Pic related: isss BJJ.

>Plus, "serious" people who do bjj as part of mma training will not stop if you tap. They need the ref to separate you.
what the fuck kind of club are you training at user?
any proper place will throw someone out who does not stop if you tap or ask to in training, regardless of what they're training for, and there is no referee in training anyway

(also testing something )

I hope you're trolling.

Tai Chi means supreme ultimate fist.

I know this because I'm Chinese and have experience in tai Chi, xing yi and wing chun.

You know what Itrust to defend myself with?
Boxing.

The Chinese martial arts don't make the cut because there is zero full contact sparring. Partial contact doesn't even cut it.

Another reason is that there's like a shitload of techniques to learn. Tai Chi has something like 48 in the basic form. Boxing in comparison has at most 6. You don't have the time to spend all day drilling to get good. If Chen tai Chi masters ever existed, they literally spent every day training starting from age 14. It's just not realistic to think you'll get good when you don't have the time for that. Same goes for almost every other Chinese martial art out there.

Tai Chi is shit tier. Learn it once you're old and retired if you want to bang grannies, but that's about it.

Tai Chi is good for fitness/flexibility/meditation, but any martial arts training that doesn't have you doing some kind of full contact is useless in an actual fight.

Without one person actively trying to out-box/grapple/maneuver/whatever you, you'll never be able to do it under pressure, and you'll never know how to make those small adjustments you need to make when someone is actually coming at you full force.

Jiujitsu has a much lower risk of traumatic brain injury than MMA, boxing, kickboxing.

You still risk bone breaks, muscle tears, sprains, strains, ect...but that shit heals. Brain injuries don't heal.

10/10 answer

It is tough, but I took a kick to the in competition and was concussed. Concussions always equal brain injury.

You have no idea how stupid you sound

>That video

Have you ever seen someone in a real fight before? This looked like make believe fights kids have on playgrounds.

>HEMA
Bone fractures and bruises everywhere if you spar with noobs.

>back in the day
You realise it's about as old as China right? Most basics in tai chi come from primordial qigong practiced by daoist priests some 3.5k years ago, later becoming an inner matrial art and then the modern soft style contact martial art until qigong got popular and a bunch of old people started practicing tai chi as a form of qigong

you have watched too much anime

Dern's tits are delicious

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

what about wing chun? this seems kinda useful with it's quick movement.
styles set aside, every martial art is just as good as it's practitioner

>no homo

Bjj, you'll be able to kill anyone who doesn't know grappling 1v1. And it's a grappling martial art so you practice at 100% without brain damage. You might get a fucked up back or knees but I've only had minor issues in 6 years of bjj and 12 of wrestling. The guys that do it are pretty cool too and you become more flexible and it's a killer workout

Kyokushin is what TKD is if you want to A: hurt the other guy and B: get yourself hurt.