Hey, im newfag to Veeky Forums, just read the sticky and i have a question...

Hey, im newfag to Veeky Forums, just read the sticky and i have a question, they keep saying how i shouldn't eat junk food or drink sodas because calories, but then say how i need calories to gain weight, so do I eat or not junk food?

It's driving me insane, it was all good when i was just working out at home without reading anything like that stuff

Also i looked like jesus on a cross a month ago, have been doing P4P stuff off youtube and look a lot better now, should i just keep doing their workouts?

Sorry if im just another newfag trashing the board, just that this stuff was poorly adresses in the sticky imo...

Other urls found in this thread:

simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SX5IEnAdkk
t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-cardio-article-period
m.youtube.com/watch?v=BZpYH3HegiI
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16779921
jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-19
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ud7CnPJcK6U
m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqT3Y8WIJfk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you want to gain weight just eat more good food- more portions of lean meats and veggies. It's not rocket science- junk food are usually sweets or breads which are caloric dense foods. Yes they'll bump up your calories but they won't fill you up and they're lacking in nutrients. That's dirty bulking and it's a shit way to go about gaining weight.

You can eat some "junk" food if you struggle to get in enough calories.

Avoid trans fats and hydrogenated fats
Limit sodium
Get sufficient fiber, protein, and micronutrients

Follow this guide lines and "junk" food like potato chips or ice cream can be quite healthy

The main problem with those kinda of foods is that they have TOO MANY (macro)nutrients, more than what most people require, so they get fat.

>pure carbohydrates
>lacking in nutrients
Micronutrients maybe, but carbs are literally a nutrient, and just as important as protein

Dirty bulking = not counting calories
Clean bulk = 500 kcal surplus
Lean bulk = 150-300kcal surplus (depending on how close you are to your natty limit)

You can eat """""clean"""""" and dirty bulk.

You can eat ice cream and protein powder on a clean bulk

You're going to get a lot of bullshit misinformation about what qualifies as a dirty bulk with dumb shit saying "empty calories" but then you'll be struggling to hit your calorie target. As someone on the other side of a 50lb bulk, here's what I'd say:
If it fits your macros - you're good to go. Simple, buuutt:
>consider how inconsistently you eat (e.g., are you eating 5, or 2 meals? if possible, eat 5, easier on the ol shitter etc)
>consider your micronutrients - have you got an adequate variety of different foods (veggies, grains, meat, dairy, fruit, and don't forget spices are micro rich AF)
>if you've eaten a lot of varied 'healthy' foods, and you're hitting your protein requirement but not calories, yeah, split a block of chocolate for a little post-meal treat 3 or 4 times to hit your calories.

The phrase 'empty calories' almost inevitably points to an empty head.

>telling a hungry skelly to eat lean meats and veggies
>le bread meme
>le "clean eating" meme
simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SX5IEnAdkk

This.

The only empty calories are alcohol, which is caloric and has no nutritional value.

Sugar is literally a nutrient (don't think that makes it healthy, per se. But change your approach to thinking about "junk food")

Right but that's assuming he's already setting himself up with a balanced diet that takes into account a healthy balance of fats, carbs and protein.

True. No idea what OP's numbers are and since he's new better to reinforce the basics of nutrition before you say he can eat junk food.

EVERYONE MAKES IT TOO COMPLICATED

Okay, you want to turn your brain off and just eat in a manner that is not going to get you fucking fat?

Pick up your smartphone and download the app Myfitnesspal. Enter your bodily data (height, weight, age etc.) and your goal weight. The standard carbs/protein/fat distribution in that program is 50/20/30% if I remember right. Change that to 40/30/30.

Now you just hack in all the foods you eat, all the time, and lift properly.

There. You just gained control of your diet.

If you do not eat too much, you will stay slim or get slimmer.

Tbh i have no idea how to count all this stuff, i've been eating completely randomly my entire life
I will try this, but i DEFINATELY dont want to get slimmer, now i look skinny, ESPECIALLY my legs, jeez it hurts to look at them, i've thinking of cardio but i heard that will kill whatever mass i might gain
Keked
Im not even hungry most of the time, and yet when im full i cant force food down my throat either

If you're eating a good variety of nutrient dense foods and missing out on your calorie goals, then you get to do shit like milkshakes, chocolate, icecream etc. Having been on a 5k calorie bulk with a (to start with, at least) shitty appetite, it was amazing fun. Not worth the amount of time doing cardio + weights etc to try to be superman and achieve all the goals at once. But being able to say "hmm... I need to eat a large pizza after dinner" was awesome.

Anaerobic cardio will increase musculature.

Aerobic cardio is the devil.

Anaerobic cardio is the goodness.
Hill sprints, burpees, barbell complexes, etc.

t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-cardio-article-period

All of the benefits of aerobics, none of the detriments

Also "hungry skeleton" doesnt mean you feel hungry. It means your body is hungry and you are too dumb to feed it.

>cardio kills gains
This is a meme. There was a guy called Zyzz. He was a shredded as fuark aesthetic cunt. He did lots of cardio to get that shredded. Also took lots of roids. Long story short, he died. The meme was that Zyzz is gains, and cardio killed him. So cardio killed gains.

Do cardio so your cardiovascular system grows stronger to support the rest of your body better. Being able to jog for a while is totally worth it. Even better when you're getting swole alongside it.

If you have problems eating a lot, eat more calorie dense foods. Such as PB&J sandwiches, ramen noodles and so on. The top goal in any nutritional plan is to stuff in as much protein as you can get. Get Beef Jerky to snack on in between meals.

>not knowing how exercise that is fueled primarily by the oxidative system (i.e. Aerobic) affects nutrient partitioning, or gene expression for fat retention
You literally just made that up.

Cardio kills gains was around before zyzz died.

Also cardio didnt kill zyzz, newfag

>stuff in as much protein as you can get
nigger put the fucking magazines down, the protein skypes are behind this BS. There's a limit, after which protein is just going to make your digestion bad, your sweat stink, your arse hurt, and your guts pickle.

Beef jerky to snack on = solid suggestion, just back it up with plenty of water and fiber. I used to do a banana, a cup of green tea, and then some beef jerky as a snack. Happy mix of lots of good shit, swap to hibiscus if no caffing.

I know that the sauna killed Zyzz, I just explained the meme.

While I personally never recommend people eat more than .78g/lb to leave more room for carbs and fats (which are more important imho)

What you say is simply wrong
The symptoms you ascribe are wholly due insufficient fiber intake (eat half of the grams of protein you eat in fiber. So if you eat 140g protein, aim for 70g fiber)

Also the detriments of "too much protein" are.... Basically nonexistent
m.youtube.com/watch?v=BZpYH3HegiI

That isn't even the meme.

That meme predates zyzz's death.

You are just a newfaggot making nonsense up

>dumping a boatload of broscience in this poor unsuspecting guys' face

Literally everything in that article will just confuse him. Keep it simple you broscientist.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16779921

Agreed re: fiber, disagreed re: it being incorrect that you can eat too much protons.

The part about my body being hungry is most likely true
This guy knows whats up, im having to google so many terms from this thread
What i gather is
>eat many meat
>meat is good
Hope thats correct

You should watch the video i linked
jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-19

The guy who published the above protein overfeeding study talks about his results feeding people 300-900g protein a day with no detriment.

It is an interesting interview.

No offense but I trust dr. jose antonio over Veeky Forums shitposters.
..call it an appeal to authority fallacy, but at a certain point i feel koalafications matter

eat many meat, compliment with many vegetables

Meat good
Fiber (vegetables) gooder.

Jogging bad.
Sprinting good.
Walking good.

Junk food acceptable, if fit nutritional demands

Since you're already thin and want to pack on muscle not to look like Auschwitz mode anymore, you have a choice to make:

1. Do you want to make lean gainz and just add muscle to your frame over time, slowly but surely?

2. Or do you want to go for a "bulk", a nutrition method used by bodybuilders at the natty (natural) maximum (or beyond it, if they are using steroids) to pack on a few pounds of muscle and fat together by eating roughly 20% more than you need to eat, to lose the fat later on?

I personally would suggest you do the former, since as a skelly you can easily pack on muscle on a normal maintenance (that means giving your body about the calories it needs to hold its weight) diet, without the need to slim down later on.

Yeah, except the study I posted contains people with many koalas too. You'd be correct to call it an appeal to authority, the problem is both sides can find authorities to support them.

Outside of being a protein spastic, it's got no pragmatic consequence, I don't think we're going to advocate very different things for OP here, simple, varied, and with adequate fiber (I'm an oat bran twice a day kinda guy.... I fear colon cancer)

Jogging isn't bad as long as you do it with carbs in your system and not for hours at a time. Half an hour of jogging thrice a week for building up your heart, lungs and veins is perfectly fine.

Bulking is a meme
You can NOT forcefeed muscle growth by eating more.

You can only ALLOW muscle growth by eating enough.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ud7CnPJcK6U

Hence I recommend you watch the interview where the dr. Discusses conflicting information.

Please watch it instead of posting more

Every benefit you get from jogging you can get from sprinting.

Without any of the detriments (muscle loss, change in gene expression, change in nutrient partitioning, unnecessarily high levels of cortisol, increased risk of joint stress)

Jogging bad.
Sprinting/barbell complexes/burpees good

So sprinting from pokestop to pokestop is ok to make it more interesting?
Im pretty sure im gonna try to do the first one espesially since i can already see the results from casually working out at home 30 minutes a day
Thanks Veeky Forums frienda, you really helped me out, not being sarcastic

skipped to just reading his research, struggled to find stuff where he was addressing side effects of excessive protein consumption. Got accounts on most journals, any recommended articles where he looks at more than body comp?

Watch the fucking video or i will murder you.

Why don't you tell him to do crossfit right away? Do you even cardio? All the shit you listed is only relevant for marathon fags and other long distance ayy lmaos trying to waste their bodies into stick figures. Everyone should take three months to build up their ability to run a 5k at will. That's just healthy.

people can say whatever they want in videos, I care about what they publish. Did find one with bloods, but it was less extreme, still looking.

Yes. Sprinting and resting (HIIT) is great cardio

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqT3Y8WIJfk

Hmm. Almost like he would discuss that in the interview DEDICATED TO DISCUSSING that fucking study.

Guess you'll never know

Except there's a few of them, and they were done with small groups. Thankfully, I'm able to read, so I chose to do that instead.

Happy to concede that for as much as 3.3g\kg of bodyweight, well above any broscientists recommendations, the negative effects were not found in the good Drs studies. Inadequate, but influential for sure. Good reference, ty

>doctors discussing the minutiae of their scientific findings can say whatever they want
>therefore i can disregard it offhand without even hearing what it is that i am disregarding
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Just listen to it and assess the validity of what he says after you hear what the fuck he has to say, you fagfuck cunttard

Fuck you, pseudoscientific cunt.

Get any of the apps called C25k (couch to 5k), there's like fifty of them. Will teach you how to cardio with you being able to turn your brain off for most of it.

I'm not sure if you're balls deep in academia, or you're inadequately exposed to it, but those fuckers show some serious bias, there's a reason double blind review is required

No, a dirty bulk is stuffing you face with fastfood and snacks to reach your caloric goal.

>i did c25k and don't want to feel like a retard, so i consider it mandatory.

Fuck you.
That is like if i had good results with the vc#1 so i go around saying every novice should focus on doing 100 burpees in 5 minutes.

If you don't want to run a 5k, there is literally no reason to do it. No health benefit.
If you want to run a 5k, then do it.

As for crossfit, it actually is great exercise.
It is also terrible training (no VIF management, no progression scheme, just random WODs)
Also also it teaches novices to do the most complicated lifts (lifts that i have yet to perfect, and i am well into intermediate by any reasonable standards) at a stupidly fast pace, and at a stupidly high rep range.

Essentially ensuring that even if you DID (magically) have good form at the beginning of the workout, your form WILL break down before you are done.

This kills the spine.

But crossfit being dumb and wrong doesn't make you any less retarded and also wrong

You can do a clean bulk on fast food and a dirty bulk on peanut butter and pasta.

P.s. All the "shit I listed" applies to literally any exercise that is fueled primarily by the oxidative system.

Pretty much any cardio that lasts longer than 60 seconds (atp/cp is primary for intense exercises that only last ~30 seconds or less, from 30-60 seconds is primarily the glycolytic system, and then the oxidative system after that)

>I know more about scientific veracity than a doctor in exercise science
Post credentials now

>inb4 m-muh appeal to authority
No.
Fuck you.
You don't know what the fuck you are talking about and are clearly out of your league.

What a time when shitposters feel they should be taken more seriously in a field than the relevant experts

So why are you suggesting a complicated exercise routine to a beginner then if you know it'll lead to hurt?

Just C25k and when he's in the matter some more in a few months, he can try something else.

I am not suggesting anything complicated

Imo barbell complexes are much safer than jogging.

Also c25k a shit.

Proper aerobic cardio also significantly raises insulin sensitivity in everyone who does it. But of course you'd drop that from your anti-jogging diatribe because your mom was raped by a c25k app once. Not like Diabeetus kills thousands every year eh. It also gives you actual endurance which has endless applications.

Stop trying to use the worst examples of ultramarathoners to crusade against aerobic cardio. I'm saying he should do it alongside weightlifting. That way he can get best benefits from both.

Okay another newfag here l, is a ham sandwich with lettuce and tomato good? Are Big Macs good? They have meat and vegetables, and bread, idk, what about pancakes? I'm trying to eat as much as I can but I still haven't gained much. Also what is a good go-to food you can eat throughout the day (preferably easy to prepare), what is life. ..

Anaerobic exercise is MUCH more effective at increasing both insulin sensitivity and leptin sensitivity.

Every benefit you get with aerobics, you get (usually more so) with anaerobic training

You might find this video of interest
>m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqT3Y8WIJfk

I too am recommending cardiorespiratory training alongside resistance training to maximize benefits.

I am just advocating efficiency and risk negation

You can get the best benefits from cardio and resistance training each, without ever doing aerobic exercise.

You can increase cardiorespiratory endurance without ever doing aerobic exercise.

You dont have to be an ultra marathoner to get these (almost negligible) detriments. You just have to do oxidative, aerobic exercise

Lrn2 count macros.

Big macs are too high in fat and sodium but not bad.
Your sandwich is probably lowish in protein but good.

Read nutrition labels

As a general rule eat at least .78g of protein per lb total bodyweight
Eat at least .35g fats per lb total bodyweight.
Fill the rest of your calories with carbs

Thanks man, I'll see how I manage.

Counting calories is priority #1 if you can't gain (or lose) weight