I'm planning a Benelux trip. Where are some historical sites to visit?

I'm planning a Benelux trip. Where are some historical sites to visit?

Neuken in de keuken :DDDD

Waterloo maybe

bruges for medieval flanders, antwerp for burgundy, ghent for habsburgs, amsterdam for the history of the netherlands, brussels for belgian history

also mons for industrial history

Depends what kind of history you want.
Belgium has lots of ww1 sites.

If you are interested in ww1 stuff you could end your trip in huis doorn where kaiser willy lived his last exiled years

The Anne Frank House. Leave the copypasra and a few images. Do it for the memes.

Most overrated place in the world

>t. Dutchie

I wouldn't go to Bruge, those old medieval buildings have some really narrow corridors and staircases.

There are no historical sites in the Netherlands,

What about the alcoves?

Brussels is pretty neat, but you need to know where you're going.

Lille and Bonn

Rotterdam is actually a big historical site. Most of the history is still in the ground

I can really recommend Bastogne, it has a neat museum on the battle and all that stuff and the town itself has too

Also the ardennes in general are quite beautiful indeed but belgium in general has shittons of museums related to both ww1 and ww2, check out tracesofwar

You should pass though Verdun also

>If I was retarded and grew up on a farm Bruges might impress me. But I wasn't so it doesn't..

Ijzertoren
Haarlem
Dordrecht
Dreupelkot

Yeah but the ugliest city in the region

A Benelux trip is a great idea. I think the majority of your trip should be in Belgium just because it has more varied things to offer.

A trip to the Netherlands means Amsterdam which is an absolutely magnificent Renaissance city. Optionally you can visit some of the cities and towns surrounding it. (Utrecht, Leiden, Den Haag, Delft, they're all in the neighborhood). The rest of the Netherlands, flat and a bit boring. If you go in spring you can go to Lisse, also in Holland, for tulip fields in bloom and a windmill in the background.

In Belgium you should check the following:

Medieval towns of Flanders: Bruges, Ghent, Brussels, Antwerp. Possibly Leuven, a smaller city with a famous university. Maybe you can visit some of the old university buildings.

Industrial heritage in Wallonia: You can visit some of the oldest coal mines in Hainaut, the old boat lifts. I don't know if you can visit these but there are also prehistoric flint mines in the region around Mons. In the region you could check out Tournai, a medieval city with an Unesco Cathedral.

World War 1. This is mostly two places. Wallonia for the old forts, I don't know much more about it. And the furthest Western corner of Belgium where the front was. Called 'Westhoek'. Check the Last post and Museums in Ypres and some of the graveyards.

Finally the Ardennes is a great place to unwind and relax. It has plenty of quaint towns and abbeys which are undoubtedly historically significant but you'll have to check that for yourself.

Oh, I almost forgot, there are also lots of 'living traditions' in Belgium. Mostly carnivals and processions with roots to the late Middle Ages. Most of them are for some reason in the months of february to march. If you go around this time you should definitely go check that out.

Absolutely disgusting

if you're planning a Benelux trip then one bit of advise
stay the fuck away from Brussels
Unlike some other terrible cities which you aren't planning to visit anyways (like Charleroi), you might be tempted to visit the capital of Belgium
But really just don't, it's one of the shittiest cities in Europe, all of it's worthwhile buildings are still in process of reparation thanks to years of neglect and barely visible as a result and it's just fucking ugly in every way.
Don't even get tempted by trying to visit the european section of the city, anything interesting is closed off from public anyways.

>Belgian
>History
Pick one

A terrible shame the fucking Dutch destroyed the battlefield due that atrocious monument they constructed.