Routines

All right Veeky Forums how did you decide on your routine? Did you do tons of research, did you experiment on what was best or did you just ask? How long did it take?

Other urls found in this thread:

bodybuilding.com/fun/vinced3.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>got tired of being frail skeletor
>googles "fitness for skinny guys"
>picked simple program with compound movements and a little supplementary stuff
>YouTubed form videos for 2 hours
>Got gym membership the next Morning

But I'm only 6 weeks in and have no fucking clue what im doing. Whatever it is it's working.

SS + GOMAD

Improvise in gym. Looked at general powerlifts and decided to give them a try, take out ones I don't like. Now it goes:

Front squat 3x5 strength
OHP 3x5 strength
OHP on lighter weight to failure
Chin up to failure

Do that 2x a week
Then deadlift once a week with RDL accessory work and some cardio/speedbag

Sounds good enough for now.

>inb4 why don't you back squat
>inb4 you don't bench bro?

Literally never, go away Ruffletoes

initially i experimented with as many different exercises as i could.

watched several bodybuilder tapes.

i then formed a split based on complimentary muscle groups and stuck with the exercises that i felt were most effective.

my routine is a mix of several different routines that i've taken pieces from over the years.

i've been working out for over 20 years so my routine is pretty specific to my own body. i think everyone eventually gets to the point where their routine is tailored specifically for them and them alone.

Only real answer desu

why? i did split for 5 years, and im liking rippetits program.

give it a shot.

also nutrition is key

Very helpful, much appreciated Sempais

I wanted to do Starting Strength, due to Veeky Forums, but then realized that I don't want to break my elbows or some shit trying to do Powercleans as a beginner, especially since I'm a tall skeletor.

I decided to go with Stronglifts as it was very similar to SS.

As for why I started lifting? To put on weight. I also found a meal plan that gets me to ~2700-2800 calories every day and fits with my dining hall (I go to University).

Greyskull LP was just more my thing i guess. Made fast gains on it too, so i´ll milk the shit out of it before i have to switch.

>went on the sticky
>ctrl + f "routines"
>picked up Reg Parks beginner 5x5 cos I liked the higher volume
>added dips (now on weighted dips) as an accessory lift because I want big arms
>decided to try GOMAD since i was a skeleton not used to eating a lot and it was guaranteed weight gain

That was my thought process in a nutshell.

I just began, and I did what looked exhausting, rewarding and "complete"

Basically running machine to warm-up, push-ups, sits-up, arms training (Basic Weight lifting), Squats for a nice butt and classic bench press, with a bit of pull-ups and gainage (don't know the English term, it's basically staying suspended on your toes and forearms while exercising your abs).

Something to add, something to remove ?

I don't understand the logic to get gym newbies to powerclean. do it for fun but not for strength/size even advanced lifters shouldn't bother as they require flexibility and perfect timing. rippetoe doesn't even recommend bodyweight training...

>forearms
I meant elbows.

Power cleans aren't hard or scary. Heavens forbid you put ~effort~ into something.

Just looked at myself in the mirror and decided I wasn't a little bitch. At first I did what they said in highschool. 10reps 3/4 sets and I hit a lot of machines. It wasn't until I did some research that I decided on a bro split. Plus bros look like I wanted. It worked and it was OK. But by that time I looked good and wanted real gains and I went with a modified 5x5 at first and it was OK but I modified it with accessory work. So that's about it. If you're asking this question you're a fag. Just go to the gym and lift.

What routine should I use to achieve Jecht mode?

I did a few months of SL but I have decided that losing fat is more important to me right now. What kind of routine should I do so I don't lose too much muscle while I cut?

1 year SS+GOMAD, then half a year PPL on a cut. And lots of hair gel.

1. I want to be strong but it's not my only goal

2. Milk makes me break out and feel "greasy"??

I still squat DL OHP and bench ..Just not exclusively.

SS is great for anyone who hasn't run a novice linear progression. You don't need the milk if you're willing to eat and you're not a skinny bastard.

I was 14 so I literally made it up on the spot
Shitton of every kind of curls, shitton of presses, shitton of rows, shitton of weighted sittups

>tfw when you didnt do legs until 2 years after you started lifting
Was fine playing hockey and sprinting track though

Jan 1 2015 I was a spooky skelly
6'3" 130 lb

Aug 13 2016( first day of lifting) I was 153lb
and yesterday I was 160lb

So my eating is on point and I've gotten ALOT stronger....Just not sure what to do after this 12 week program is over.

What are your lifts? Read SS and do the program by the book. You definitely have room to grow.

6'3" at 160 makes you a candidate for the milk for at least a few weeks.

Bench 85lb 4x4------->115lb 6x6
Squat 45lb 4x4-------->115lb 6x6
OHP 40lb 4x4--------> 65lb 6x6
DL 95lb 4x4-----> 205lb 6x6

All of my starting week lifts were ugly AF on the last rep.

what was it?

bodybuilding.com/fun/vinced3.htm

This Bullshit

But I was already in week 3 when I realized it probably wasn't the best plan. so I'm just going to stick it through till week 12... and transfer to something else...???

Honestly, depending on how you push the weight progression that probably isn't a bad routine.

When I started, I just did a brosplit for two years. Once I got serious I read up on a bunch of shit about programming and built a custom version of the Texas Method that worked amazingly. Once I started having more demanding classes I had to get a routine that took me around an hour per session, so the 2hr long sessions of the Texas Method had to go.
From there I decided to move to a modified 5/3/1 routine that I'm not working from after trying out some slight variations of my basic frame I made after researching for a while.

*now

I listened to daddy rippetoe and did Texas method after finishing starting strength

how does your body look without benching?

ABxABxx

A
Squat 3x6
Dumbbell Lunge 2x12
Deadlift 3x6

B
Dumbbell bench press 3x6
Overhead press 3x6
Pull-ups 3x6
Seated cable row 3x6

Every day
Triceps cable extension
Db curl
Calves

I really want bigger arms.

I don't try to deadlift heavy.

This routine seems to help me accomplish what I want to in the gym.

well for 6 weeks of progress this is me
So whenever I had add a rep+set I never drop the weight I just pick up off of last weeks.

non existant chest but desu idc. Will probably just do pushups and db press later down the road and just put size in chest. dont care about bench desu

primed my body with cardio
after a while of improving general blood and heart function, did sprint interval training
then the bodyweight exercises, which after the prior training really reacted well with my body
then I did SS.
My diet is on point, and I compliment it with a plant based powder supplement. Diet is crucial. I also found that semen retention makes you virile and strong. I can't see how anyone can get truly strong by ejaculating out their mineral and hormonal content

Do SS and gomad, not memeing here. Read the book cover to cover. You are in desperate need of the knowledge.

did everything except did bench instead of dips, also added bicep curls on back squat day and skull crushers on the front squat day

I watched 'I want to look like that guy' and follow what he does
>not gonna make it

also, on deadlifts I'm terrified of snapping my shit up due to poor form and as a result I've never gone heavier than 1 pl8, my back squat is 1.5 pl8 for comparison. Any tips?

The English word you're looking for is "planks"

Found out that frequency is King so went with push/pull 6 times a week.
When this becomes too taxing i will move into push/pull/legs

I did some googling, and I went through the sticky. Did SL5x5 for a while, hurt my back at work, didn't lift for a year.

Eventually came back and I'm now doing;

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

A
Squats 3x5
OHP 3x5
Deadlifts 1x5
Chin ups 3x8

B
Squats 3x5
75% deadlifts 3x5
Weighted Dips 3x5
Chin ups 3x8

Started with strong lifts but I started with too much weight so I stalled way too early. Deloaded massively and started again and made decent gains. Then I dropped rows because Veeky Forums told me they were a waste of time, then when I realised that my deadlifts were suffering because of a lack of back strength I added them back in.

At 0.75, 1.25, 2 and 2.5 pl8 at the moment and decided that all round athleticism was more important to me so I've been running 20 miles a week as well as adding some calisthenics.

My pro tip would be to not listen to Veeky Forums contrarians, start with a beginner programme and then modify it once you've made decent gains, using other routines as a guide, especially if you care for more things than sheer strength.

I read about what is important (volume), what kind of routine is ideal (PPL since natty), and which exercises work which muscles. I made compounds the basis of each day for efficiency and added isolation lifts to round it out. Lastly, because I go to PF for now, I researched which exercises can be done advantageously with dumbbells rather than a barbell. I'd love to switch gyms eventually so I can incorporate standard deadlift and squats.

I've tweaked it a few times based on continued reading, so it's a fluid routine.

PPLPPLx

>Push 1
Incline dumbbell bench 5x5
Dumbbell lateral raises 5x10
Seated Arnold press 5x5
"Close grip bench press" (with DBs, elbows tight to body to hit the triceps) 5x5
High cable chest flys 5x10

>Pull 1
Standing bent over dumbbell row (elbows tucked to hit lats) 5x5
Standard dumbbell curl 5x10
One-arm dumbbell row 5x5
Facepulls 5x10
Pullups 5xF (I alternate between palms forward and chinups each set)

>Legs 1
Leg Press 5x5
Romanian deadlift 5x5
Step back lunges 5x5
Standing calf raises 5x10
Ab cable pulldown 4x10

>Push 2
Standing military press 5x5
Flat dumbbell bench press 5x5
Incline dumbbell flys 5x10
Cable lateral raises 5x10
Chest dips 5xF

>Pull 2
Pullups 5xF (alternate palms forward and chinups)
Cable row 5x5
Standing bent over dumbbell row (elbows out wide to hit rhomboids and posterior delts) 5x5
Shrugs 5x10
Hammer curls 5x10

>Legs 2
Same leg exercises as Legs 1, but instead of ab cable pulldowns:
Seated alternating oblique twists with a 45 lb pl8, 4x15.

I rest 3 minutes between sets of 5x5, 1 minute between sets of 5x10. Isolation movements get lighter weights and 5x10. Each day takes me about 1.5 hours, including stretching before and after.