Rower HIIT targeted my back and abs couldnt do my routine next day WTF!!!

I did a 25 min HIIT rower workout yesterday since it was too hot to do a Sprint HIIT. Next day felt like I just did a back and abs routine... I couldn't do an effective Ab and back workout. The duck someone never told me rower destroys you like that?!?!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hwqd13jS5FY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>commonly accepted to be one of the most intensive full-body cardio workouts

>oh noes it made me tired

this was somehow news to you?

I've recently been doing HIIT on the rower hitting max intensity on the highest setting and I'm not feeling much. I'm winded after but not as much as from running or swimming, and it doesn't make me muscle fatigued like those do. Am I doing something wrong?

I asked around and people were telling me a rower was ok but not as good as jogging for an hour. But since I will never never do a lame jog or bike for an hour I had to find an alternative... I have to reorganize my routine now since I can't do a strength workout on back or abs when I do a rowing cardio the day before...

Interval times?

Are you doing as shown in terms of form?

That drive needs to be all you fucking got.

I've done tabatas at 8x20 on/10 rest and also longer workouts of 5x1 minute insanity and 2 minutes moderate.

I'd say my form looks like the picture but I also pull with my arms while I push with the legs. That's what I see other guys doing who look like they know how to do it. Is that wrong?

When I do it I am very conscious of where my back is. I never bend forward at the waist and it will bend back slightly when I am fully extended.

I also DO NOT use my legs and arms simultaneously. I use my legs until fully extended, I transfer the rest to my arms keeping my arms right to my sides. From there, I go in reverse. Arms to legs and back to where I started. The entire time keeping my back stuff and vertical.

That should do the trick. I suspect that when you use arms and legs it is easier for you arms to pull and takes away from your core that is keeping your back vertical.

Rowfag here, ask me anything you want to know

They're retards. If you row with good form for a distance you will get a better full body workout. Try a 5k meter piece at 70% pressure

Do this workout instead, it's hell but it's amazing for that HIIT

2 sets of 10x 2minutes@100% pressure with 2minutes rest
(2x(10x 2 minutes on/2 minutes off) for short)
You can program the erg to do this automatically for you in the settings, depending on the model

As for the rowing technique, it's just two different styles. Either is fine, in my opinion the more fluid motion (legs, arms back all at the same time) is superior when in a boat for speed, but slower slightly on the ERG. The sequential form is easier to apply power but sloppier when rowing in a boat. (Think like oly lifting vs. powerlifting, in a way)
Focus on accelerating all the way into the finish and getting your hands out beyond your knees before your back bends over, otherwise you'll look like a retard

A note on form:
Make sure to keep your back straight. Just like in doing deadlifts, if you row with an arched back you'll 1. Look like a retard like the third girl in the OP pic and 2. Fuck up your back eventually. You want a flat plane ideally where your body makes a 50 degree angle at the catch and a 130 degree angle at the finish

youtu.be/hwqd13jS5FY

Like this? I suspect we should take a hint from the U.S. rowing team.

I'm on mobile so I can't watch. What is the video describing?

U.S. Rowing Team doing VO2 max oxygen testing. Everyone is going hard as fuck and there form, I suspect, is what is ideal.

Yeah pretty much. They're about as close to perfect as you can get as far as technique goes. I'm not sure if they do the sequential or European style technique but in the end it doesn't really matter for someone who rows for exercise. These are guys who row sub 5:30 2k's so they're fucking good

Thanks. Very helpful. I'll try your program. You're saying 2 minutes on 2 off for each interval times 10? That sounds like a lot of rest.

Another Q: where do the arms end up? This pic and a lot of people seem to bring it to stomach but I also see people leaning back and bringing to chest. I've tried the latter and it just feels weak at the end, like it's not a strong pull. And I go faster when I just go to stomach. Thoughts?

>10 mins rest
Jesus Christ thats Christmas tier rest senpai

High intensity work outs, full press
Blasters:
300m x 15 30 sec rest
250m x 10 30 sec rest
5x1500 (5 mins rest):
1500m 24 s/m rate cap
1500m open rate
1500m 26 s/m rate cap
1500m open rate
1500m 24 s/m rate cap
3x10 1x7:
3x10 min (22, 24, 26 rate caps) 1x7 min (3 mins rest open rate no lower than 28)

Lower intensity workouts:
Big easy:
40 mins steady state (70% pressure)
4 mins rest
30 mins steady state
4 mins rest
20 mins steady state
2x30:
30 mins full press with pyramid rate cap switching every 2 mins (22, 24, 22, 24, 22, 24, 26, 24, 26, 24, 22, 24, 22, 24, 22)
4 mins rest
Repeat

1. It sounds like a long rest but believe me you'll need it. Row as hard as you can at about a 34 stroke/min pace. Set the display to show your 500 meter split (it'll have a time with the /500m next to it). The split is a way that shows how hard you're pulling, by measuring how long it would take you to row 500 meters, and changes based on each stroke. Ideally you would hold a specific pace (for me, I would hold a 1:45/500m split during that workout's hard part).
Figure out what your pace would be for a balls-out 2000m piece, and use the average split from that to measure your 100% pace for the 2on/2off. The idea is to find the hardest you can row for that amount of time CONSISTENTLY. just because you can pull a 1:20 off the block and finish with a 2:30 split with an average of like 2:15 just means you're terrible at pacing. It's better to have a 1:45 at the start and a 1:45 at the finish
I know it looks like a long rest, but believe me you'll need every second

2. Your arms have two parts: your elbows and your hands. Your elbows should be floating high at about mid rib at the finish. Don't let them sag, it helps to row in a mirror to watch your form (I'm assuming you won't have someone watching your form). Hands should come back into your high chest. Imagine hitting yourself in the sternum with the oar handle. If you're not a virgin, it's about where the bottom of a girl's bra strap would be.
Make sure you BOUNCE it off your chest. If you don't bring it all the way into your body you're actually losing a significant amount of energy, and is poor technique

Anything here is also excellent

Why are your rates so low? For HIIT, you want to be at least above a 34 for the hardest parts. My boat would race at a 36 and sprint at a 40

>5x1500
I honestly might kill myself if my high school coach had ever told us to do that

I doubt it's at 100%. Probably like 80% or something. My team did 5x1000 at 100% a few times and that was pretty awful

Funny, I never rowed but I intuitively gravitated towards 500 split as a measure. I can't get 1:45 consistently but that's my target, usually ends up being more like 1:50 or 1:55 and I use 2:30 target for my off.

I try that arms thing but it just feels inefficient and weak on that backpull. I go faster when I only pull to my stomach, is it just less efficient to do so or does my form suck?

What's a good hiit running workout for someone that can run 10k in 50 mins (12 km/h pace)

1:50-1:55 isn't bad for someone who never rowed competitively. Pulling in high into the chest is important in rowing in a shell due to weight distribution and such, but it's not SUPER important on a machine. It just is better for your technique and will help you with power. What do you mean by the backstroke? Do you mean the recovery?

I do a Sprint HIIT that goes 30 min Sprint as hard as possible and jog for 1 min. Do it 25 times and pray you are still alive.

I meant seconds not minutes

>What do you mean by the backstroke? Do you mean the recovery?
No I mean while pulling to the chest. What I've been doing is pulling with arms and legs simultaneously (I think you called that European). Once the bar passes the plane of my hips (as I lean back and pull to chest) that portion feels like it isn't doing much work and I seem to make better speed if I skip it. In other words, as I pull I feel a lot of resistance if I pull to my stomach, but if I lean back and go for the chest I feel like the last part is not doing much.

Nope full press, that was our Saturday workout and by far my favorite of our weekly cycles.
Low rates at full press to establish speed at lower gears, that way when you kick up the rates for the spring sprinting season you can have even higher outputs at the higher rates. Our sprints off the line were usually 38 to 40 to get up to speed, then shifted down to a 34-35 to maximize length into the stern and establish maximum press through the water. At the mid rates like that you can really let the boat run out on its momentum before the next stroke.