Does your body allow you to contract your muscles harder over the years as you lift?

Does your body allow you to contract your muscles harder over the years as you lift?
That's the only thing that could explain to me how some guys are not particularly big and can put up weights like 400lb on the bench, pull 600lb in deadlifts etc
or is it technique?
I ask because I read on a study a while ago that you can already contract your muscles at close to 100% even without training
does this mean that basically the only thing that counts when it comes to relative strength is technique?
pic related, jon jones, a fairly lanky guy deadlifting 600lbs
how do guys like that do it?
is it technique or can they contract their muscles harder?

Other urls found in this thread:

strengtheory.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you can increase strength without necessarily making the muscle itself grow with bulging mass.

>what is strength for 200, alex

neural factors, leverages (jones has excellent DL leverages), muscle origins and insertions, and even factors beyond this all play a role in the ability to lift x weight in y lift

strengtheory.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/

ctrl-f "insertions"

but does that come as a result of improved technique (the body being more efficient at doing the task) or as a result of muscles literally being able to contract harder?
that's actually pretty much the aim of my thread
what is strength?
jon jones also benched 350lbs and squatted 500lbs

Muscle Size is not the same thing as muscle strength. I learned this in weightlifting in 10th grade.

yeah actually good point, jon jones has the shittiest leverages imaginable for squatting and benching and yet puts up great numbers in both

i think it's because he's a freak super athlete

an article said he actually went from deadlifting 275lbs to 600lbs in a few months
now he most likely did that with steroids
but I don't think he's particularly gifted genetically

Muscle density.

It's the same reason gorillas can rip car doors off with one hand despite not being much larger than a human

>is it technique or can they contract their muscles harder?
Technique and motor neurons. When you lift weights, your body gets more adept at recruiting muscle fibers, which is newbies get a lot stronger before they get bigger. The more weight you lift for a low amount of reps, the more the body needs to adapt the neural drive to the load. That is why some people can lift a fuckton of weight, despite looking scrawny.

You dont recruit all the motor units at the same time when lifting. When you gain strength without gaining size your body learns how to recruit more motor units at the same time.

>not being much larger than a human
m8 have you seen a fucking gorilla?

Theres dozens of reasons you are strong and not big.

Technique doesnt really make a huge difference though for most lifts. Having perfect bench technique will give you maybe a few kilo increase vs retarded form.

Im just writing this so you dont waste your time plying with grip widths and stances and shit, theres no point. Just push harder.

>not knowing about mind-muscle connection

>but I don't think he's particularly gifted genetically

He is one of the best mma fighters ever and both his brothers are NFL stars. He has god tier genetics.

Muscles are made out of fiber strings, how much weight one can lift is determined by the number of those fibers participating in the motion, and their denseness.

There are two schools of strength gaining given that:
1-get so big, your average fiber participation gets up just by sheer numbers of them
2-go quality over quantity
denseness is genetic, can't do shit about that

Summing this up: buffed guys with jello muscles can be weaker than thin ones with iron ropes instead of muscles

Just look at arms wreastlers and rock climbers.

Bruce Lee, enough said

Increase muscle fiber recruitment, firing, and glycogen stores. Hello strength.

There are many reasons

Increased angiogenesis
Increased centricular output
Increased innervation of skeletal muscles
Increased glycogen storage
Increased myofibril density

ventricular output, rather

Pretty sure he's been busted using steroids.

Hes on steroids moron

>what is cns stimulation
>what are motoric units
>what are musclefiber types

I think that was literally what he was asking, yes

nigga the average gorilla is over 300 lbs and can most likely press way more than an ELITE strongman/powerlifter.

#mitochondria

>93kg
>lanky

He's not a meat mountain, but he's definitely not small for how lean he is.

jon jones can deadlift 700 and squat 600 now
and he's 6"4' master race
and he's nigger

Jon Jones is currently considered the best MMA fighter of all time since the dawn of the sport. The biggest thing that separates him is his insane athletic ability. He is not a good example of what you're trying to prove

Hew da fuk is dat

your CNS adapts to recruit the muscle fibers all together at once

Finally found a CNS comment!
As you get better at lifting, your CNS becomes more efficient which allows more motor recruitment which allows bigger lifts.

As for how he got there so fast, genetics is a huge factor. There are football players who are comfortable squatting over 700 who half ass it in the weightroom, guys who can comfortably power clean 405+ for reps and bench 445 the first day back in the weightroom after partying it up for 3 months. Jones is on that level

Lol nobody comfortably power cleans 405 for reps. Let alone doing it natty.

Genetics really dont influence THAT much, height, weight and biomechanics are way more of a factor in this.

This is bullshit there is no football players that arent on a fuckton of gear and very heavy and tall that have anywhere near those numbers.

Jeez you need a reality check people arent superhuman just from genetics

>Football players not putting up serious weight

>arent on a fuckton of gear and very heavy and tall

So every pro football player? He's not talking about soccer you Muslim euro nigger.

Dense is genetic?

I beg to differ

People who have small muscles but a lot of strength are actually just having their nerve cells more efficiently activate more muscle fibers. That's why when someones in mortal danger and has to lift something heavy their brain signals all the muscle fibers to activate in the motion. In fact the first few months you start working out you'll notice that you become stronger but not very big. That cause your body is becoming better at activating your muscles fibers to adapt to your new habits.

tfw Cant keep up with the Joneses