Rock Climbing General

Why have you not started rock climbing, Veeky Forums?

>sick forearm gains
>outdoors skills
>show off your arms/back ez
>hit on qt rock climbing girls
>no fatties in sight
>sick forearm gains

climbing is the shit my man, i hit up the indoor wall every day

no legs

>>outdoors skills
Uh? 98% of rock climbers can't hike for shit. They usually drive all the way to the designated boulder or wall, carrying their ropes in duffles. They don't even know how to properly pack a backpack or use a compass.
>muh energy bars

Fucking hippies

that's not even true though

yeah thats not true

Idk OP, how big are your forearms?

Climbing is a common treatment for SS

That sucks, dude, but you can still play wheelchair basketball.

this. at least in my experience

>mfw when I just went rock climbing this last weekend with a guy who just finished hiking the Appalachian Trail

So did he taught you anything?

Because there's nothing like that near me.

Not about climbing, but he taught me about his cooking apparatus he took with him and said everything costs 200% more if you buy it along the trail.

>but he taught me about his cooking apparatus
Are you talking about a jetboil? If so you need to get as far as you possibly can from that friend of yours. You'll learn the wrong ways. You can learn the right ways, but not from a jetboiler

No, he used alcohol in a pan with a heat shield around it. I was curious how he knew how much alcohol to add without wasting it. I haven't been big into /out/, but climbing is just so comfy, that I'm coming around to it. I'm thinking of getting some gear.

I used to climb 5.12c, but that was years ago. My brother and I did a lot of trad climbing and I only slightly hated him for frequently taking us to crack climbs on cold granite at 5am.

You use an alcohol stove 2 days in a row and you'll get to the point of knowing how much you need without giving it a thought. Search on youtube soda can stove and you can make your own and start practicing (although you only need a container, following proved patterns helps to maximize the alcohol eficiency, the same goes for the windscreen that your friend placed around the stove). My sincere advise is that you don't buy any gear without lurking at /out/ and asking as many questions you have there first. Sweet spot btw.

kek

It's fun.

But the people you encounter in climbing "gyms" are the worst cunts you can imagime.

This. The vast majority of the climbers I've come into contact with (granted I live in a D1 college town) would get their asses handed to them if they found themselves in the bush.

Climbing is not a practical outdoor skill. It's an expensive hobby like skiing.

climbing is literally one of the least expensive sports.....that's why so many of them dirtbag it. Living out of a van, climbing the rocks, living off the land. The price of most climbing gyms is the same as a regular lifting gym, any they often have a full set of workout equipment.

cause the gym and staff are cliquey as fuck
and it's also expensive.

yeah. harness, rope, shoes, pack, hardware. real cheap.

and I'm not talking about bouldering gyms. OP said /out/ skills you shill.

i'm climbing at a indoor gym haven't been outdoor yet i'm barely doing v4 5's shit is hard i've been stuck how do i progress