I love this piece of equipment...

I love this piece of equipment. I've spent the past year trying to correct my form on the barbell back squat and conventional deadlift. I thoroughly read stronglifts, starting strength, strengtheory as well hundreds of ultra specific form videos on youtube. I recorded myself liftings dozens of times and checked my setup in the mirror. My form always looked perfect if not it was only something minor. I bought squat shoes, knee sleeves and belts. I deloaded so many times. As soon as I increased the weight there was pain. No matter what I did there was always pain unless I was lifting too little to build muscle.

The first time I picked up a trap bar I was able to perform a squat like movement with a full range of motion off of blocks with no bruise on my back where a barbell normally sits on high bar, no pain in my acromion and rear delts where the bar sits in low bar, no pain in my front delts where the bar sits in front squats, no pain in my knees or lower back. What's more is I could easily pickup more than deadlifting and squat more than squatting all without fear of snapping my shit up.

This thread is a tribute to the greatest piece of fitness equipment every designed for people with inexplicable pain and agony, the trap bar. So many people will never know the joys of this beautiful bastard thanks to all the e-autists.

Other urls found in this thread:

exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/TBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html
exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/TBSquat.html
exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBSquat.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2SJ9HkKaxwU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This meme barbell has been very popular as of recent

It's very good

I used on to dead lift on in high school, back in '91&'92

They have been around longer than most of the faggots on this board

Veeky Forums should really be named /powerlifting/. If you want to be a powerlifter, then squats and deads are essential but outside of that? Loads of people have gotten jacked without touching them.

This is a good squat substitute, especially when done with high reps, but it's not really a deadlift alternative. I would recommend weighted lunges with a light weight like 1 plate to target hammys and core and then pendlay rows to target back.

The most important thing is that you're having fun. Life is too short to torture yourself for the approval of anonymous faggots you'll never meet.

I for one fucking hate squatting. I made it to 275 3x5 ATG through sheer force of will and I fucking hated every squat that got me there. Now i just do light squats 3 sets of 8-12 reps, to target quads and core. 1-2 times a week. This leaves me with tons of energy to do the actual fun exercises like dips and pull ups. As long as you're making gains, it doesn't matter what routine you do.

Also pick up a sport. Getting good at working at is literally useless.

I concur, but only partly.

The truth is there's no "right" way to lift. There's many ways to get to fitness

Doing high volume reps with one plate is a great way to build endaurance and stamina. You can also carry it for farmers walks.

If you have the energy, I would do 10 reps of the trap bar lift then walk 20 m and do another 10 reps. You'll have god tier conditioning.

I do 275xf after my working sets

Feels good man. But it's awkward to do trapbar deads if you're not doing deadstop

personally im not a fan of the hex plates op but whatever floats your boat

>Deadlifts – This exercise will transform you body if done every week, correctly. Go hard and have fun with them. Notice how you rarely see people deadlift heavy at the gym? Do you also notice how all these people have average physiques? Put 2 and 2 together.

This was Zyzz trolling the idiots. Kinda like what Arnold did to unsuspecting gym goers, dead-lifts are utter shit and only are good for strength/grip gains and for bragging about weight. NOT for getting an aesthetic physique. Weighted pull ups and front squats are infinitely better.

This lift makes up for what I miss out from deadlift:

exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/TBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html

This actually hits my hams harder. I'm really not sure how barbell back squat and deadlift are better. I lift more with the trap bar and hit the same muscle groups harder. All with no fear of snap city.

Dude

Zyzz had like a 4pl8 bentback deadlift, it's a meme you retard

>HEAVY BEHIND THE NECK PRESSES - notice how no one ever behind the neck presses heavy, with one set to failure? Notice how most people are dyel? Put 5+5 together

this, try to go to a gym that has circular plates if you can. Hex plates are a meme.

>I love this piece of equipment

Is that why you've been spamming it all over this board for the past few days? Are you the same guy posting all the monster energy drink memes? Is repetitively posting the same thing over and over all you know how to do? Do you have some kind of disability? Or are you actually a bot? Maybe a hired shill for energy drink manufacturers and whoever the fuck makes hex bars?

So many questions.

Thanks for this, I'll try it out.

>He thinks it must be one person rather than many people enjoying this underrated equipment

Lol ok

I love my hex bar too. I mostly use it for loaded carries.

>Use trap bar
>Miss out on full anterior chain squat gains and full posterior chain deadlift gains
Used to be about the trap bar, then realized I was more about the chain gains..

Here's the best part
>progress on trap bar
>going well
>3pl8
>4pl8
>Woah, shit's starting to get wobbly
>feels like 1 slight jerk will lead to snap city
>can't increase trap bar
>too late to switch to squats and DLs
>all that work
>for naught
I'm not trying to shit on you bro. Just warning you. It works as an assistance exercise, it's not a main lift.

did you use straps? there's multiple yt vids of guys pulling 800+ trap bar with rock solid form.

idk what you think you're missing out on.
compare:
exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/TBSquat.html
to
exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBSquat.html

it works the same muscles as bbb squat only trap bar squat also works some of the back muscles as deadlift and works grip too.

between squat AND deadlift the only thing you're missing out on is hamstrings so do this lift Admittedly, I wouldn't bother with all this but I've spent a lot of time on barbell lifts and they fuck my shit up so trap bar is really all I have...

Look at Zyzz's deadlift form

I have a question. I was wanting to use the squat rack one day, and some guy was using this equipment right in front of the squat rack. Keep in mind that the bar on the rack was not being used. I asked him if he is using the squat rack, he said no but thought it would be weird I started squatting in front of him. I asked if I could just squat anyway and he replies "you aren't suppose to do that". Wtf, is he allowed to take up space in front of the squat rack while not using the squat rack? The only thing he was attributing to the rack was the plates on it, but can't use just literally go somewhere else?

Idk bro

I've let people squat in front of me in this exact scenario, and also squatted in front of people. Never had an issue.

This guy was pretty persistent on not letting me squat in front of him. Not to mention there were no other squat racks available.

Maybe he's gay

Was he bigger than you? Just be more confrontational. Raise your voice

What, you wanted me to say "Dude, lift somewhere else if you are not using the squat rack." I didn't want to fight the faggot, and no he was not bigger than me. I knew how to wrestle anyway, so I was not intimidated by this guy. Everyone in the vicinity was kind of looking at us too, so I just said fuck it and waited for him to finish his retarded form of his sets. He looked like a scared cat while using this machine.

Just call him out dude

He's being a dick. I'm not saying walk up anf punch him but there was NO reason for him to not let you squat

>no bruise on my back where a barbell normally sits on high bar,
Dude, what in the godliving fuck is wrong with you? I'm 178cm, f*i*f*t*y fucking kilograms, a turbo DYEL, dermatitis all over the place and I can squat without my gigantic pussy back getting bruised..

What the fuck is wrong with your body, seriously. Thank you for giving me hope.

it's pretty common actually I've seen dudes jacked as fuck complain about it. I've seen arnold use a pussypad.

I'm not the only one whose back doesn't like hundreds of pounds of metal laying on top of it.

Body builders seem to get by without proper form. They're arms seem to be set too wide to allow the bar to sit on their massive traps. Probably a diminishing return of gaining muscle to a point where it hinders form?

>They're arms seem to be set too wide to allow the bar to sit on their massive traps
the only one of them whose arms are far apart is ronnie coleman. his traps are already huge without bringing his arms closer together.

It's so superior to a barbell.

I want to get one for the house but a ll of my weights are 1 inch and trap bars are all 2 inch.

>I for one fucking hate squatting.

Same my nig, glad I'm not the only one.

search for newyorkbarbells standard shrug cage

Me too bro

Trapbar is GOAT

i literally guarantee you form was shite. i have plenty of dyel friends who look at their form in the mirror and still lift like assholes

>newyorkbarbells standard shrug cage

Nice, thanks.

I posted myself squatting on QTDDTOT and nobody said my form was shit and I received several replies. Furthermore I can critique form videos myself so I know quite easily what to look for. I guarantee there could be something wrong with my form but I just don't care anymore.

Some people arent built for deadlifts.

No matter their form it always kinda hurts their back. For these people there are alternatives

>exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/TBSquat.html

you just blew my fucking mind with this one. You literally might have just saved my career. I tired to explain, but i hope you feel good

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if he can do stiff-legged pulls and good mornings painlessly, the issue isn't some inherent back problem.

Not a back problem but maybe short arms and bad leverages.

Some lifts don't work for all people, man. Lifting isn't a one-size-fits-all deal

I mean, the online memesters got a little too carried away.

It went from making fun of people who curl in the squat rack, only do isolations and neglect their legs/lower body ---->

YOU NEED TO SQUAT AND DEADLIFT, THEY ARE MOST IMPORTANT EVEN IF YOU DONT PLAN ON POWERLIFTING YOU MUST DEADLIFT OR ELSE YOURE A PUSSY FAGGOT, MARCUS RIPPETOE SAID

It just doesn't fit all people and doesn't even come into action for most people's goals

He'd need some absolutely atrocious ones to end up with a deadlift form more stressful on the back than deliberately doing a round backed stiff-leg pull.

It's possible, but it isn't likely. Especially when combined with the whole 'of course my form was great' bit.

I'm not saying everyone has to deadlift (like you said, select based on goals), I'm just very suspicious of someone who claims to have super bad back pain that prevents him from deadlifting yet will wade in to defend the idea of going heavy on good mornings and keeps talking about how more weight = better exercise. That strikes me as an idiot wanting validation, not someone making a reasoned case for the trap bar.

Doesn't have to necessarily be pain, just discomfort.

If someone tried Deadlifting, got to 405x1 at least and HATES it. And he isn't a powerlifter why should he continue?

Fact of the matter is that trapbar is fun to use for a lot of people. Most people don't need or want 28-29inch legs. It's just unimportant, or a massive pl total

>He'd need some absolutely atrocious ones
Then don't you think it would be kinda easy to tell? I mean it's not hard to look at your back in a video, take a screen of it and draw a straight line in mspaint to compare. All the advice I've ever seen was painfully obvious, followed by antagonistic bullshit.

EVERYONE IS BUILT TO PICK STUFF UP OFF THE GROUND WHAT THE FUCK

T. Dyel

>Everyone has exactly identical leverages!!!
>Differences in limb length don't exist!

People like using trap bars and meme trainers like telling them to because they're easier to use. Just like your boipucci.

>Everything needs to be hard! Needlessly hard! If it doesn't work for me, instead of considering more efficient alternatives ill just bruteforce my way through it!

Really good fallacy man. If it's hard it must be good right?

i never had "super bad back pain" nor did i ever suggest "going heavy on good mornings" but rather straight back straight leg deadlift for hams to make up for the fact that trap bar squat does less for han development than conventional deadlift. and that the back squat and conventional deadlift cause pain. you seem to have reached a spurious conclusion based upon your own interpretation of the op.

I've been using it for farmer walks. That's about it kek.

>"Dude, lift somewhere else if you are not using the squat rack."
yes. this is exactly what you should have said. if he gets pissy, go get the gym manager or some staff and they'll either make him stop or leave.

Some people are just retards or dicks. Like the fucking crossfitters and dumb broads that will try to walk through the space between me and the plates while i'm deadlifting, risking them hitting me and causing me to fuck myself up. You have to bark at them when they do that or they'll walk all over you.

>275 3x5
Honestly, your advice would hold so much more merit if you weren't dyel. This goes for most of this board as well.

>he said no
That's when you say "ok thanks" and start using the rack

I got the same reaction as , will definitely start doing trap bar squats. I hadn't wanted to since I didn't know you could hit all the same muscles, but this pretty much settles it.

I never would have thought there were people who cannot squat or diddly without crying like children. Sad! It's like you don't want to make it.

Also to the girl saying some people's proportions make sqwats or DL impossible that's total bullshit unless the person is a genetic freak like a midget or one of them gigantism types. Stop making excuses for these losers.

Actually, a lot of people with stupidly strong shoulders do heavy (seated) btn presses. The risk to your shoulders is minimal as long as you have good mobility

I used these when I was a DYEL in high school a few times. Honestly pulling a bar just feels awkward as fuck. Ots the same when you do dips vs single bar dips. For some reason a neutral grip majes most exercises feel better.

>hey this exercise seems more fun, safer, and more useful than the barbell squat, I'll consider it as a replacement
>"durr u can't squat without crying like children"

Time to self-terminate lad.

>doing exercises because they are fun, not understanding that proper form eliminates any safety concerns, un-ironically claiming any lift other than deadlift is more useful to a real human being than barbell squats.

Bro, you're the one who needs to go.

Fuck off cunt.
I dont deadlift but whenever I do i get lower back pain no matter how goood my form is. I have no plans to compete in powerlifting so why would I bother with back pain after every session when I can just say fuck it and do literally any other exercise?

>form eliminates safety concerns
Yeah, that's why Ronnie Coleman har all those surgeries. Because lifting heavy squats is safe for your body with proper form.

The exercise easier to bail out of, where the bar does not crush your scapula, back muscles or spine, is obviously safer.

>barbell squats are second most useful exercise
[citation needed], since we already covered that the trap bar squat hits all the muscles BB squat hits and more.

>File not named ORA ORA or MUDA MUDA
What are you doing senpai

>40+ year old on 4 chin

Never ever gonna make it

>people have actually read this wall of text and responded to this obvious bait
I know you're all better than this.

Ya I'm sure you and you're unwarranted life advice are just a joy to be around. Prick

I always laugh at the fail pussies who use this piece of shit. They can never seem to barbell deadlift above 315.

You're probably dyel as shit too. The deadlift didn't make it into the "big 3" just because it's a powerlifting movement you fucking faggot.

Who are you calling dyel you shit cunt. "Muh long femurs" or "muh short arms" is probably the biggest dyel excuse out there.

Implying you would ever leave this place.

yeah I can't and I have spent more time trying to in a year then you will in your entire life. now what? you really think it's better to tell someone who has put as much effort into it as me and is in pain for the foreseeable future doing these lifts to keep trying instead of doing another lift that's arguably as good? fuck off.

youtube.com/watch?v=2SJ9HkKaxwU

I've noticed it's almost all dyels trying to convince others to follow their expert starting strength advice

I love the trap bar but it tears my hands up like nothing else, I tore a callus off when I last went above 2pl8. Anyone else get this?

But it did though

You're a retarded DYEL who year starting strength and now thinks that's the only way to train