The jump rope meme is gaining alot of strength lately

the jump rope meme is gaining alot of strength lately

it was mostly used in boxing sports. now it is spreading .

is it better or worse than running for burning calories

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kAmDOTsp5cs
youtube.com/watch?v=PUCQ2pvnyW4
buyjumpropes.net/resources/how-to-choose-a-jump-rope-buyers-guide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The purpose isn't to burn calories, it's to build endurance. Manage your diet if you want to lose weight

Good calorie burner. Burns more than running in an hour unless you run fast.
You also get more nimble with that foot coordinating involved, especially if you switch up your jump styles during your time jumping.
Only downside is you don't get the sightseeing you get with running.
It's kind of meditative when you get really good at it though. Either listen to music or reflect on your thoughts during.
Would recommend, especially if you practice combat sports or dancing.

This. It has a weird learning curve in that it isn't "difficult" to learn, but it's difficult to master. I've jumped roped for a few months now and the endurance gains have been incredible, as well as the fat loss.

Like the other user said, it's actually kind of a meditative state. The repetitive whacking sound of the rope has a calming effect on me and makes me sort of zone out for a bit.

Would highly recommend. Just get a good jump rope (steel cable, bearings) and make sure the length is correct (right to your nipples, not including handles).

how do you sessions go

right now i'm doing 1:30 min on 1:30 mins off , for 27 mins; last week was only able to do for 12 mins

It's great for calves.

If their's a particular product/brand of skipping rope you recommend I'd appreciate it Mr trips.

Also what's this mastery you talk about? When I used to skip I just felt the same each time, is there a technique to learn?

not him, but this seems good

youtube.com/watch?v=kAmDOTsp5cs

Also not him but was gonna post a different video from the same dude
youtube.com/watch?v=PUCQ2pvnyW4

Solid lads. My last rope was leather and it got completely shredded on the pavement, what kind so you use?

easier on the knees too

Idk how legit this site is but they selected some ropes and rated them for outdoor/durability/speed/tricks/etc.
buyjumpropes.net/resources/how-to-choose-a-jump-rope-buyers-guide/
Might be a good place to start

thanks for the links user, was getting bored of just jumping.

Buy the one in that 2nd video - he has a link

Sorry for the late reply.

For my sessions, I usually do a routine where I do 6 3 minute rounds, with 1 minute rest between each round and and a 30 second burn out in each round.

I usually end up soaking wet when I'm done, but I also skip fairly fast. As I've improved, I'd cut the amount of rest from 1 min to 45 seconds, to 30. It's exhausting but a fantastic workout.

Not really. My current rope was a cheap, 6 dollar rope from amazon. I would recommend purchasing an adjustable steel cable rope with bearings. This makes the rope spin smoother and the steel rope allows for greater agility and speed.

Don't buy the plastic ones you see kids play with at school. Don't get rubber ones. Seriously, amazon has good ones for 6 bucks or so.

When I talk mastery, I talk being able to consistently skip without error for most of my rounds, while switching the type of skipping I do smoothly. So I'll bounce, to side steps, under cross, double unders, to burn out with running in place as fast as I can for 30 seconds.

At first, you'll feel like dying in just a few minutes. You'll gasp for air and your legs will be killing you. After you climb this hill, the skipping becomes a sort of "automatic" routine in which you can sort enter a "zone". When I skip, I almost clear my mind and just focus on the movements and the sound.

I would say it's almost like performing a routine or dancing in place, which is weird cause I don't necessarily like dancing in public.

I think a good comparison as to what mastering a jump rope feels like is when you go for a long drive at night. You're still paying attention for stop signs, people, etc, but it becomes automatic and your mind begins to think.

Kind of like that.

what about footwear while skipping rope? barefoot?

I just wear tennis shoes. When you mess up (and you will) I imagine the whipping of the rope would hurt.

Make sure you use proper form. Your feet should barely come off the ground. If you're hopping up and down and landing hard, you are doing it wrong.

Check out Zen dude fitness. They specialize in exercising with jump ropes. Just ignore their fake douche jokes.

>their fake douche jokes

this, i found them almost intolerable

I admire their channel and I think the information they give is actually pretty solid, but their attempt at humor is annoying more than anything.

jumping rope is piss easy
running/sprints are harder for me
used to do 10 rounds of 3mins as a kid every night.

I mean if you like running go for it senpai
Sometimes I just want cardio at home.
Clear space in my living room and watch anime while boosting my cardiovascular health or reflect on my thoughts in the backyard if the weather is nice, its cozy

It's not a meme you dip, plenty of people jump rope because it's good exercise, did you niggers never do any circuit training for sports when you were at school?

Its a meme you fuck. Normies didnt do it right and now ficking crossfit fags r doing youn dumb fag

People have been jump roping for fifty years user, didn't you see Rocky?

Ya it was mostly boxing . Now its spreading to normies and crossfit fags

It's been pretty widely used by plenty of people for a long time

It's the closest a white man can get to a bunch of nig nogs dancing around a fire beating drums with bones. Not to be racist cuz I respect that. The repetitive rhythm definitely takes you to a primal place.

Match jumping rope with an interval endurance trainer app like c25k and you'll be jumping rope for 30mins in a couple of months.

Don't get sucked in by all the meme tricks, just jump rope.

Couple of months is pretty big, would argue maybe even less than a month if you played a sport growing up.
Progress jumping comes fast for some reason.

C25k is a 2 month interval endurance program. Sure you could probably get there in a month, but it would be pretty intense (multiple sessions/day with minimal rest days). People often burn out with that kind of intensity.

It's for endurance. In boxing we do it to loosen up and get that whole body coordination in check.

In the beginning you puff out in less than a minute because you too tense and inefficient. But later you can do it for half an hour without tiring.

Imo if you don't run regularly don't do it. It fuck up your knees worse than hiit sprints.

>Imo if you don't run regularly don't do it. It fuck up your knees worse than hiit sprints.
That's some opinion, senpai, I land pretty soft on my feet compared to hiit sprints, knees don't feel a thing when skipping rope.
You're making sure slightly bend knees and land on ball of feet?