How did Socrates pay for his lifestyle? He didn't seem to work. He just went around and questioned everyone all day

How did Socrates pay for his lifestyle? He didn't seem to work. He just went around and questioned everyone all day.

And does anyone else think he looks like a cat in this bust?

Other urls found in this thread:

classics.mit.edu/Plato/apology.html
archive.org/stream/a591631100mannuoft/a591631100mannuoft_djvu.txt
leightonvw.com/2013/04/01/how-an-ancient-greek-philosopher-bet-on-the-future-and-won/
vocaroo.com/i/s1tpJx4IQ0U9
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Or shall the penalty be a fine, and imprisonment until the fine is paid? There is the same objection. I should have to lie in prison, for money I have none, and I cannot pay.
classics.mit.edu/Plato/apology.html

This says he lived in poverty.

He did however have a wife and kids (which suggests that he has the income to sustain a family) and I think I remember reading somewhere he had some kind of job.

You can make money by teaching sophistry to children of the rich

I’m retarded but didn’t he criticize that practice?

Yep he did. He also fought against being labeled as a sophist (he educated the young, a typical sohpist activity) by saying he didn't teach anything because he himself didn't know anything and that he never accepted payment.

He was, at least early on, a stone mason.

He was a mod on Δchan.

>emerge from dark alley
>hey kiddo, want a... lesson?
>first one's free
>get kids hooked on knowledge
>start charging for knowledge
>???
>profit

Well he had rich aristocrat faggots like Alkibiades willing to buttfuck him, so it is likely he subsisted off of their charity.

Heartily kek'd.

>and that he never accepted payment.

Wonder if he diddled them?

Wasn't he laying bricks or something like that?

He was a Buddhist and antimaterialist

He was possessed by a bebeveolent demon that taught him the secrets of the universe. This demon guided him away from wealth, politics, and materialism.

He was very much a spiritualist.

His whole philosophy is based on Buddhist spiritualism

he was a soldier previously, probably received a pension. He was also likely a sophist in the occupational sense of tutoring peoples kids

These three posts basically contain the answer. Later sources suggest he could have worked as a mason/sculptur, we know he served as a hoplite, and he definitely had close relationships with elites. I will add that he was something of a celebrity (sufficiently well-known to be mocked by Aristophanes in a public play and to later be prosecuted for impiety), and that he also served in government (as any citizen would expect in a democracy; my source for this is Xenophon, he apparently served in the probouletic body during the 30).

You obviously know shit.

This right here

He lived with his mommy and she made him tendies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day so he was never hungry.

Sadly after her death he had to live a lowly existence getting by on NEETbux

>have a garden
>hunt
>gather firewood
What else does one need?

He got demos bucks for falling out of an Athenian's womb.

Mooching off rich kids who found him entertaining or enlightening.

>>start charging for knowledge
But he didn't have any.

he probably had a lot of parthenon subscribers :^)

He was a known binge drinker, who was often invited to prestigous households to entertain the guests.

After everybody either left, puked or fell asleep bc of the alcohol, Socrates would take something precious and leave.

He was a parasite.

I mean in the original sense of the word, not as a slur.

>Socrates would take something precious and leave.

...serious?

>How did Socrates pay for his lifestyle? He didn't seem to work. He just went around and questioned everyone all day.
The free Greek men did not have to work, they were a kind of aristocracy. A free man was supposed to cultivate his virtues instead of wasting his time with tasks better done by slaves, foreigners and women.

...so this is the power of petty theivery

Your question presupposes Athenians had a system of judeocapitalism similar to ours where merely existing incurs a heavy monetary penalty. They didn't.

Welp, I at least chuckled a little
Have a (You) and a good day user

socrates was actually black so he was able to live off food stamps from the government

Xenophone, memories of Socrates
it was generally accepted, bc it was Socrates, I forgot how he justified it, but think he took the things as a price as last man standing.

This
He had a bunch of rich friends. I'm sure he lived off them

Yes, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to say something. I overestimate this board.

You mean a symbiote?
A patasite is always detrimental to the host.

No, don't believe his lies

this

the demon that drove Socrates to be the Athenian gadfly, the devoted citizen and warrior, the one who chose poverty over charging his students or any who would listen to his one-on-one conversations.

Almost 500 years later, Plutarch wrote a dialogue on this daemon of Socrates. It is included in this anthology.

archive.org/stream/a591631100mannuoft/a591631100mannuoft_djvu.txt

the paranormal entity assisting Socrates is what deters Socrates from being a wealthy politician.

He tells them they are concerned with their families, careers, and political responsibilities when they ought to be worried about the "welfare of their souls". Socrates' assertion that the gods had singled him out as a divine emissary seemed to provoke irritation, if not outright ridicule.

What a retarded post.

Go pay your mortgage Chaim

Top post of 2017

They are evolving friend

>Wonder if he diddled them?
That would be Plato.

Water, tools (to hunt, eat, make fire, garden keep water, etc) probably animals too.

So he was a psychic

if memory serves he also made money on the speculation market of (might have been wine, or wheat)

Sorry I was wrong, wrong philosopher, still interesting, related and relevent.

>pt 1
How an Ancient Greek Philosopher Bet on the Future – and Won!
April 1, 2013
It is for his idea that water is the essence of all matter that Thales of Miletus, the 6th century BC Greek philosopher, is best known. It is for his option trading, however, that he should be at least equally celebrated, as it is the first use of financial derivatives in recorded history.

Aristotle (in part XI of Book 1 of his ‘Politics’) relates the tale.

According to Aristotle’s account, Thales put a deposit during the winter on all the olive-presses in Chios and Miletus, which would allow him exclusive use of the presses after the harvest. Because the harvest was in the future, and nobody could be sure whether the harvest would be plentiful or not, he was able to secure the contracts for a very low price. In fact, we are informed that there was not one bid against him. From the olive press owners’ point of view, they were protecting themselves against a poor harvest by earning at least some money up front regardless of how things turned out.

pt 2

Thales’ bet came off, big time. The harvest was excellent and there was heavy demand for the presses. Thales held the monopoly and was able to rent them out at a huge profit. Either he was an expert forecaster or he had calculated that a bad harvest would not lose him much in terms of lost deposits, whereas the upside of a good harvest was enormous. “Thus he showed the world that philosophers can easily be rich if they like, but that their ambition is of another sort”, wrote Aristotle.

In effect, Thales had exercised the first known options contract, more than 2,500 years ago. Today we would term it as buying a ‘call option’, i.e. an option to buy something at some designated price at some future date for a fixed fee (‘premium’). Put another way, it is an agreement that gives the purchaser the right (but not the obligation) to buy a commodity, stock, bond or other instrument at a specified price (‘strike price’) at the end of or within a specified time period. When the price exceeds the strike price, the option is said to be ‘in the money’.

Properly used, options can be an excellent vehicle for managing risk. In this example from 6th century BC Greece, the owners of the olive presses were ensuring that they didn’t lose their entire earnings in the event of a bad harvest. From Thales’ point of view, he was confident in his forecast of the harvest, but was still taking some risk that he’d lose all the deposits he’s paid. Today we’d say that he was risking not being able to exercise his call options.

I wonder how Thales and the olive-press owners might have used modern betting markets if they’d been available 2,500 years ago. I guess the owners might ‘sell’ a market about the size of the harvest. In this way, they would earn a greater return the worse the harvest. And this is what risk management is all about. Thales, on the other hand, would presumably have used his supreme confidence in his forecasting powers to ‘buy’ the market as well as the options and make himself an even richer man than he became.

leightonvw.com/2013/04/01/how-an-ancient-greek-philosopher-bet-on-the-future-and-won/

underrated

>Plato's texts are reliable historical records of him

Not in the original sense. A parasite was somebody who didn't do any real work but was kept around because he was a fun guy.

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

>he was a soldier previously, probably received a pension.
Wasn't serving in your city state's army as a hoplite a duty for citizens rather than an occupation back when Socrates would have been eligible for it?

Pretty much. It was a civic duty. Ancient Greece had no "military" nor did they have anyone soldiering except mercenaries. What Ancient Greece did have was ad hoc militias.

why dont they teach this in school?

vocaroo.com/i/s1tpJx4IQ0U9

Unironically a good post. Is everyone here retarded or something

Socrates worked, though. That post is ill founded and wrong.