Civil war

Can you give me some arguments of why the civil rights wasnt the main reason of the civil war

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was about state rights

To enslave black people

I know, but I need info for a debate in my school

I don't really buy the "states rights" argument because all roads lead to slavery when it comes to causes of the Civil War.

Some of the arguments you hear:

Economic differences: The South wanted free trade whereas the North favored tariffs. Yes that's true. But why did they South favor free trade? Because no one could compete with their low cotton prices that were made possible with slave labor.

Cultural differences: The industrial, urban North vs the gentile South. But what was the foundation of the Southern Aristocracy? Slaves.

States rights: All the crises and compromises that led to tensions between North and South in the Antebellum Period (Kansas-Nebraska Act, Brown's attempted slave revolt, Compromise of 1850, Missouri Compromise) dealt primarily with slavery.

It was about slavery, you fuck. Why the fuck do you want a revisionist narrative?

If you’re arguing the primary cause of the war wasn’t slavery then you’ve already lost. Just give up.

People say "it was about economic forces" or "it was a clash of cultures" but honestly, if you take slavery out of the equation, there would be no civil war.

> States rights

Not to mention the biggest invasion of states rights, the Fugitive Slave Act.

It was about slavery.

prove this video wrong.
youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4

>even Propaganda U can’t help but admit the civil war was about slavery
Fucking priceless.

it was not about states rights, the CSA constitution gave less power to the states than the US constitution did. In particular it forced all states to legalize slavery and barred them from ever abolishing it.

Northern whites didn't oppose the expansion of slavery because of civil rights, they opposed it because it would render them irrelevant to the nations economy and locked out of the political system.

The Yankees correctly feared that slavery would immiserate them. Civil rights was a peripheral concern of a loud but small minority.

Who cares about a stupid war where burgers killed each other over non issues? Stop fucking posting about it.

No soldier in the csa was fighting to keep blacks enslaved. They thought they were fighting in the second revolution

t.

It was about states rights. And slavery whether slavery would be allowed in newly created states. It was about unequal representation as a result of the decision either way. Read more about it somewhere other than Veeky Forums.

>slavery is a non-issue

You've just lost your (You) privileges.

The war was about state's rights. The Confederacy seceded and the Union could no more have them secede than have a foreign power invade there, so they went to war. It wasn't about slavery for them either.

This is by and large accurate, but theres a difference between what motivated the soldiers to fight and why the war breaks out.

The effects of slavery on politics and society cause sectionalism to rise to the point where, to the south, the north was so far removed from them that they were percieved as a foreign oppressor, hence the "Second Revolutionary War" attitude.

Same kind of deal here. Its true that, pre-proclomation, the northern war goal was preserving the union, however the root of the seccesion that had compromised that union was slavery.

Oops, meant to reply to , not

Slavery was a minor side issue. The main issues behind the civil war were tariffs and states rights.

States’ rights to do what, exactly? Don’t be shy, you know the answer you obfuscating revisionist little shits.

To abide by their own laws

Don't ignore this you ltitle shits

If it was about slavery for the Union, then they would have gone to war peremptorily. They didn't, not even after the war was underway for a couple years did they make the claim that they were fighting over slavery. Lincoln would have signed an agreement to return to the status quo, and said so.

You mad, bro?

2007 called, they want their newfags back.

> The main issues behind the civil war were tariffs

Tariffs doesn't even come up in the declarations of secession for most of the states.

However, they all have lengthy sections regarding slavery.

You still mad, bro?

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed

It was actually because of the south's unhealthy and obsessive love for niggers, tbqh.
A regular love story 'gone south', haha.

Sounds pretty gay then.

Poosouth strikes again

Which laws specifically? Which ones did they think Lincoln threatened?