Do you think that the WRE would have survived beyond 476 if there had not been such a stigma attached towards...

Do you think that the WRE would have survived beyond 476 if there had not been such a stigma attached towards "integrated barbarians" such as Stilicho becoming the emperor or would it only prolong the inevitable? Various emperors who saved the empire (for example Aurelian, Diocletian) came from its provinces, but talented "barbarians" couldn't fully participate. I've been reading The World of Late Antiquity by Peter Brown and he makes a point that the "barbarians" after migrating into the WRE found themselves powerful, unabsorbable and being Arian didn't help neither.

Other urls found in this thread:

thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/2012/05/179-the-end.html
wetransfer.com/downloads/fc1e92cab4c6055432469dc281f3feb920171231234732/b1cee3
youtube.com/watch?v=OLK9Uy2WKCE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>WRE
WRE is the only Roman Empire. There's no such thing as "Western" Roman Empire. It's Roman Empire. Byzantine Empire was just LARPing.

And if anyone wants, I can upload the pdf of the book along others that I have.

I mean sure, after some centuries they became pretty distinct culturally, but I still consider them as the medieval Roman empire.

Post late roman army, im saving this thread

By the time Rome was sacked and Vandals took Carthage, it was already all over.
The only way Romans could've survived was if they successfully managed to literally genocide Visigoths, Ostrogoths, Vandals, Suebi and Burgundians before it was too late.
They did try but failed every time, they came so close in Battle of Adrianople...

If only Valens didn't rush like an idiot and let his army rest a bit.
Thx mane, late romans are aesthetic af

>t. Honorius

Civic identities never work fuckhead

>Integrating low iq barbarian savages who you didn't even forcefully subjugate.

>Thx mane, late romans are aesthetic af

Np

This. Even in America people who identify firstly as ‘American’ are almost always protestant whites.

Absolutely.
thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/2012/05/179-the-end.html
From the beginning one of Rome’s main strength was its ability to Romanize new peoples, from unifying the Italian peninsula to all over the Mediterranean in what was the most diverse empire the world had yet seen. Just like the Illyrian generals turned emperors stitched the realm back together in the third century, Germanic generals turned emperors like An emperor Stilicho, emperor Aetius, or emperor Ricimer may have stitched it back together in the 5th without being dragged down by jealous Italian-approved puppets.

Failure to romanize the Germanics was the leading social reason behind the collapse of the WRE

They work, we just have to not pretend they work when they don't work.

Here are the pdfs which I mentioned

wetransfer.com/downloads/fc1e92cab4c6055432469dc281f3feb920171231234732/b1cee3

youtube.com/watch?v=OLK9Uy2WKCE

Cool thread.

I only hope jelaus Pooles and fugly m*tts don't ruin it.

why did the roman army dropped the legions and turned early medieval?

Because it was 1000.

Technological achievements favored cavalry over infantry. As early as the 3rd century emperor Gallienus had transformed the core of the army into a rapid response corps of cavalry with infantry acting as a screen.

>Technological achievements favored cavalry over infantry

Persians and steppe nomads began breeding larger and heavier horses for their heavy cavalry.

DONT DIE ON ME

Imo the only way the WRE could have survived is if it took on a system similar to feudal Japan, Emperor is a figurehead and the Shogun (Magister Militum) was the real power behind the throne.

It was kind of swinging this way but I think the Germanics were sick of the Roman aristocrats putting ideas in the Emperors head.

It actually looks a lot better with the minarets.

From the thumbnail it looks like the rider has super long legs.

>There is no such thing as Western Roman Empire
>but it's eastern part which existed uninterrupted until 1204 (or 1453) is LARPing
BRAINLETTTT

Post-antiquity ERE is like the Disney Star Wars. It's simply invalid.

Yet another brainlet with retarded non-argument.
You can say Byzantium was shit and what not, but to claim it's not a continuation of Roman state is fucking retarded.
It's not some shit like HRE or Russians claiming succession, it was literally Roman Empire, which survived in it's eastern part. The fact it assumed a more Greek character is totally irrelevant, Roman culture was heavily influenced by Greece anyway, and Greek culture was always dominant in the east.
Going by your idiotic logic, Roman state died when they moved the capital to Constantinople or Ravenna or Milano, or when they adopted Christianity was state religion, or even when Octavian became de facto absolute ruler.
Things change over time, what ultimately matters is that the state you describe as "LARP" was a direct continuation of Roman.

>or even when Octavian became de facto absolute ruler.

This

ROMAN REPVBLIC FOREVER