Is it true that Nilfgaardian Empire is a mix of Roman Empire and HRE?

Is it true that Nilfgaardian Empire is a mix of Roman Empire and HRE?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttkamer
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silesian_Piasts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Actually it's a mix of HRE and the Ottomans.

It's a Celtic Empire

actulaly redania iz poland nilfgard is nazi kaedwen is rusi

actually it was modeled off the Songhai Deluxe Kangdom but they changed it to in the book to game adaptation because they were afraid wh*Tes would get offended by learning the truth

this but unironically
novigrad is either danzig or novgorod
skellige/toussaint are obvious

In the books (and W2) they start out as a nazi expy with renaissance aesthetics (not really specific to germany). Later becomes more nuanced with a few nilfgaardian (or not quite nilfgaardian) characters.

>Ottomans
Do elaborate. I never quite found any of its traits reminiscent of the ottomans.

Big ass empire with a different religion formed from many different cultures invading from the South.

>mfw basically every country in the Witcher universe speaks a Celtic language

>novigrad is either danzig

Nilfgaardian sounds like Old English or Dutch

So does the Roman Empire

>When in Nilfgaard, do as the Nilfgaardians do

>Nilfgaardian sounds like Old English or Dutch

Wrong

It's a mix of Welsh and Gaelic

Gwynbleidd = Blaidd Gwyn aka White wolf in Welsh

There are plenty of germanic words in there. The elder speech is celtic, but nilfgaardian is some kind of strange mix.
The religion seems more reminiscent of good old roman god-emperor-worship.

do they look german?

Look Polish to me

t. Pole

KARA BOGA

Nilfgaardian derive rom Elder Speech, and Nilfgaardian are swarthy in The Witcher's universe.

In Witcher 3, Geralt was suprised when he learnt that some Nilfgaardians are red-haired.

>brainlets need to compare fantasy to the real world to not get confused

They look just like the non-nilfgaardians guys on the game.

Report, hide and move on.

>Wrong
There is a nilfgardian named De Wet, which is literally a dutch word.

A guy named Struycken, a noble named Braibant (Brabant is a dutch province) a noble named Van Lo (A Dutch town and residence of our ex-queen), a noble named Artevelde (which is a dutch village)

Sweers
Puttkammer (more german then Dutch)
Vreemde
Eggebracht
Evertsen
Audegast
Leuvaarden
Vester

All Nilfgaardians with Dutch names.

>Puttkammer
Funny thing, it's actually pomeranian/prussian with potential slavic (though not exactly polish) ancestry.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttkamer
There's probably a reason behind this but I really couldn't tell which.

they were BLACK

Fuck I really want to play again, but I got so overloaded when I to skellige. Does it get better? Or should I just do the main quest and leave?

What are Temeria and Aedirn?

I liked Skellige. It has the most comfy map in the main game, only second to the map in the Blood and Wine dlc overall. In terms of quests, they are also pretty interesting imo. They seemed to have been influenced by Norse culture and mythology. If you like that then excellent but if not, just stick to the main quest, I guess. The game gets interesting after you find Ciri.

Temeria: France or Bohemia.
Clueless about Aedirn.

Gwynbleidd is Elder Speech, which, admittedly, did evolve into Nilfgaardian but still. Also, no Nilfgaardian ever calls Geralt Gwynbleidd. It's always either 'vatt'ghern', 'witcher' or just Geralt.

Skellige has the absolute best soundtrack in the game, if anything.
Temeria is clearly France (La Valette, for example) being invaded by Nilfgaard (HRE), and Redenia (Poland) basically rescues them.
Tl;dr the witcher 3 is a polish power fantasy.

It's not a Polish power fantasy.

That's not Nilfgaardian it's elder speech. Elder Speech is a random mix of Irish and Welsh words. Nilfgaardians have dutch names at the least but I don't know any Nilfgaardian words

>everything has to be based on real life equivalent
>look they both were imperialists it totally meant that they were romans/hre/ottomans/insert my grosse eu4 empire here

aesthetic as fuck

funilly enough, guy in the picture here has a Silesian Piast Eagle

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silesian_Piasts

[spoiler]You know that cannonically the countries speak Slavic languages right? The game's polish.[/spoiler]

Might be due to dutch sounding and looking like Low German which was the language of the Hanseatic Leage in the Baltic during the times which W draws inspiration from. The complete switch to High German happened in the the 16th century iirc.

This is not Plattduutsch, those names are clearly Dutch. Many of the Hanza traders were actual Dutchmen.

>The """temerian""" lilies are LITERALLY the french fleur de lys
>The coat of arms of redenia is almost literally the same as of poland
>The Pontar that flows into Novigrad is the same as the Vistula flowing into Gdansk
>Nilfgaard armors resembles 16th century German gothic (half-)armour
NAH DUDE IT'S JUST YOUR IMMAGINATION, NOW TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF AND KEEP PLAYING

Nilfgaardian Emperor title is Ker'zaer.

Looks to me like a mixture of Prussian and Polish eagles

Prussian heraldry was taken from Kingdom of Poland.

A E S T H E T I C
>tfw Sol Invictus isn't main sun religion of europe.

How can Redania even compete?

Would've been seriously aesthetic if the Roman Empire had survived to have had steel plate armor

*blocks your path*

One thing i love about """historical""" vidya, is the aesthetics they produce even if it's absolutely unhistorical.

Nilfgaard = Emu Empire
Northern Kingdoms = Straya farmers

>It's not a Polish power fantasy.
t. disenfranchised Pole and avid Witcher enthusiast

Poland basically raped HRE for like 7 centuries straight, so no, it's not.

>Aesthetics are based in real life
>that means everything is
The Northern Kingdoms are generic medieval fantasy kingdoms

What the fuck was his problem

He is bald.

(((Witches))) are bitches.
Radovid did nothing wrong.

Lazy writing.
CDPR didn't want to have a clear good path so they made him insane to counter all the good props that come with supporting him in the war against Nilfgaard. Radovid was a perferctly sane leader in The Witcher 2 and the difference in his bahavior in the 2 games is abysmal.

True. Women are cunts

go to the fucking video game board, manchildren.

>p-p-p-please check out my video game

grow up

BWAAHAHAHHAHA
This is your brain on PiS propaganda

He's not really that much wrong. HRE lost to Poland many times.

Yeah I noted that aswell.
I guess you can pick up some tiny hints of this """madness""" in the witcher 2, but I agree it almost feels a different character altogether, ever more so with the constant reminder that "Radovid is crazy" every 5 fucking minutes, like his entire character revolves around it, and not the fact that he is the sole hope for the north (nevermind the retarded plot about djikstra taking the rains -or roche selling temeria to nilfgaard-). If you think about it, half the characters go on about killing Radovid like it's some whim they picked up one morning as an hobby, and not high treason that basically spells doom for the northern kingdoms. Truly retarded writing.

>Throughout the Middle Ages, the Germans expanded eastwards from modern western and central Germany into the less-populated regions, east of Elbe and Saale rivers. The area of German settlement roughly stretched from Slovenia to Estonia, and southwards into Transylvania. The phenomenon, known as "Ostsiedlung" ("east settlement", "settlement in the east") followed the territorial expansion of the Holy Roman Empire and the Teutonic Order. At various times, Germans were encouraged by Polish Piast rulers to settle in the east. Ethnic conflicts erupted between the newly arrived settlers and local populations.[4]
Sounds more like a consensual romp there user... and guess who's the bottom.

>Germans migrating to Poland equals to successful invasions
>meanwhile Teutonic order is utterly destroyed
Gee I wonder.

>Utterly destroyed
Yup.

Honestly though, the truth here is: poland defended itself against tons of german attacks (by local lords or the teutons, not the emperor), mostly successful (and sometimes not) but never expanded into germany proper. German settlement was mostly into areas controlled by locals (nonpolish slavs and balts). As for the empire, they were mostly allied or living in friendly neutrality.

Look up list of conflicts involving Poland and campgaign of Boleslav the Brave.

>This time Bolesław kept eastern Lusatia and the Milceni lands around Bautzen as Imperial fiefs. He also received military aid from Henry for his intervention in the Kievan succession crisis. In return, Bolesław swore an oath of allegiance, promised to support Henry's bid for the crown of Holy Roman Emperor and aid him in his Italian campaigns.
Quite consensual indeed. (Btw. those lands were returned to german lords 15 years later.)

Are you even trying? Like, what should I do now, post map of 2018 Europe and ask about Prussia?

I let RADovid become King. Witches are a necessary scapegoat to unify the North into fighting the Empire. I also liked his sigil

>wah wah you didn't tell me literally everything you ever do or think
Why is Geralt such a needy little bitch?

Guess we wuz rapists at Cologne then :^)
Paying off your enemies was literally standard in all of Europe and Middle East back then, but I can't really expect Veeky Forumslet to know anything about the past. Aalso guess what - it's not Polish men who lost the battle, and it weren't Polish camp followers who became concubines :^)

Except this is the other way around, "geek culture" referencing the real world, as it has always been.
Then again, why am I even replying to bait? Take your (you) and get the fuck out of this thread.

>german peasants run away from their opressive and backward HRE shithole to more civilized countries, such as: Bohemia and Poland

>few centuries later
WE WUZ ETHNIC GERMANS, WE WANT TO GERMANY ANNEX PLZ RAPE RAPE, RAPE THE SLAVS
lmao, that really made me think

The men look french to me desu.

Most of them are black haired. So they look like French/Southern Europeans

wide-face, boney-structure and dark hair, blue eyes is actually a common look among west slavs. especially czechs and southern poles.
see must be celtic thing.

>away from the HRE
>to Bohemia
The history board, ladies and gentlemen

Bohemia was more developed than lands raided by Franks in Western Germany. At least during Ostsiedlung, you know?

It was also part of the HRE from its founding undtil the empire was dissolved by Napoleon. It was an elector and supplied a bunch of emperors.

Yeah and? It was ruled by Czechs

Like the Luxembourg dynasty, or the Habsburgs? And those peasants were still moving from one part of the HRE to another.

I'd also like to point ot that the low countries, part of the HRE frequently in conflict with France, were the most developed and urbanized region in Europe outside of Italy during the Ostsiedlung

long love Radovid

all he wanted was a strong independent north to stop nilfgaard from enslaving them, dont know why they had to butcher his character though

>King of Bohemia
>Automatically a Slav.
Royal Dynasties rarely worked that way, bub.

You had a French-speaking cunt in the Throne of England. A bunch of those in Sicily, and a German King in Czech Lands.

>Phillipa killed his dad and tried to use him as a puppet king.
>Too chad to be controlled by some dumb whore.
>Manages to unify the North against Niflgaard in record time.
What the fuck was his problem indeed!

he was based so they had to make a fucking madman out of him