red pill me on the crusades is it as good as /pol/ say

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamluk
youtube.com/watch?v=I_To-cV94Bo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Most of them were horrible failures so not really

> Let's take back land the Muslims stole from Christendom
> Doesn't go for Egypt, Mesopotamia and Persia, the hearts of the Muslim world
> Goes autistically for holy sites instead.

Yeah, they were a mess honestly...

Whether it was a just cause, it is debatable. But its effects had an everlasting impact on History.

Deus Vult!!

They went for Egypt at least twice. And lost it the same way.

are Syria and Lebanon and Egypt lands of Christendom, I hate cucksaders as well as I hate shitslims.

They were based and white.

There were instances of non-European converts going to crusades, the missionaries were doing a great job in sub-saharan Africa.
All in all they are just a romanticized failure, Europeans were terribly outclassed by the muslims, simply because muslims had greater manpower, and an incredibly high motivation and morale (religious and backyard peril), normally, Christians who are heavily armored would have an edge on muslim armies with light armor, but that wasn't the case, considering the K/D ratio.
Ironically, through-out the crusades, any objective historian would call the crusaders the savages and the muslims the liberators, since people generally prefered life under muslim rule and that Crusaders were known for looting, burning and rapin, though it largely depends on what Crusade were talking about.
The 1 crusade was a home run, but the sacking of Jerusalem was pretty barbarian, the 2nd and 3th Crusaders got their shit handed to them, the 4th is just funny, the rest are just was-gonna-crusade-but-something-happened.
The crusades were a stupid idea, and it cost Christendom Costantinople.

>Europeans were terribly outclassed by the muslims

European heavy and slow cavalry against Turkish and Saracen horse archers in the open fields was actually a suicide. The Italians knew that the only was to deal with sandnigger armies is spamming crossbowman with pavise shield and building shitloads of castles on rivers and lakes. The Iberians preferred javelin throwers and light cavarly against the sandnigs.

Wait, Saracens used horse-archers?
This explains a lot.
Here's another misconception I have about the Crusades, sepcifically the 3th one, After Saladin took Jerusalem, and the crusade was called, why didn't Saladin simply fortify the East and build an intercepting Navy? And why was he so autistic about starving out the Crusaders? I mean, it worked, twice, but it's hard to see muslims being okay with his crazy plans.

>Wait, Saracens used horse-archers?

Arabs have an unlimited supply of slave warriors from Central Asia and the Caucasus who formed the core of their cavalry.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamluk

Every one aside from the first one was shit

and then there was shit like the People's Crusade where they didn't even make it to the holy land, just massacred a lot of jewish families in Germany then started ransacking the countryside in Hungary "on the way to constantinople" and got crushed by the Hungarian King's army.

>The crusades were a stupid idea, and it cost Christendom Costantinople.
I think its an important stepping stone yo a pan European identity. It showed the extent of 'globalisation' for lack of a better word, military projection, that the collective uses of manpower, organisation and technology were capable of for the day. But yeah, Byzantium falling after 2+k years as the eastern most outpost of western civilisation (et al) is the single greatest defeat the west has ever had. The gates, takwn. Iberia being reclaimed/reconquesta. Up until the fall of Russia to communism anyway (again 'recovered' unlike Byzantium).

They were, yes

>peter the fuckwit

The Crusader States, such as Antioch, regularly allied themselves with Muslim neighbours to fight other Christians and other Muslims (such as Baldwin and Tancred).

Then you have Robert FitzFulk, establishing alliances with the Muslim ruler’s hostile to Aleppo – Ill-Ghazi of Mardin and Tughtegin of Damascus. Relations were less fraught with Alan, lord of al-Athraib, another frontier fort between Antioch and Aleppo, and his Muslim physician, whom assisted in regional administration. He was not unique in his position – Prince Roger had granted three villages to a local Muslim sheikh in 1118

>persia was stolen from christendom
>A holy crusade to reclaim jerusalem going for citites in jerusalem was the autistic decision

The Norwegian one was breddy good

youtube.com/watch?v=I_To-cV94Bo

Or the Children's Crusade, which ended with thousands of Christian kids being sold into slavery throughout the Islamic world, kek

Normalfags want you to believe that it was evil Christians persecuting the innocent Muslims who dindu nuffin and /pol/ wants you to believe that it was the BASED white race standing up to the Islamic caliphates.

First and third were GOAT
thee rest were kinda gay

>3rd crusade got their shit handed to them
I gotta disagree with you there pal, richard fuckin curbstomped saladin, he just sperged out at the end. Not getting their shit handed to them in any sense of the word.

>> Doesn't go for Egypt
thanks for confirming you're a historical illiterate

Yeah, well, it's the results that matter, Pyrrhus curbstoned the Romans too, before he got roofstoned himself.

Fourth crusade best crusade. Byzantines had it coming.

>Evil Christians persecuting Muslims who dindu nuffin
>BASED white race standing up to the Islamic caliphates
I think we can all agree here that they were expansions by both the muslim and the christian (somewhat united) camp, for territorial control, both Christians and Muslims loved looting and sacking, albeit muslims were a bit more restricted about it because they had a harsher hierarchy, it wasn't a religious war, just a war.

I still disagree with saying they got their shit handed to them, it was more a draw than anything else.

Crusade Power Level Ranking:

>"Deus Vult!"-tier
First Crusade

>"You tried"-tier
Second Crusade
Third Crusade

>"Worst thing that ever happened"-tier
Fourth Crusade

>is it as good as /pol/ say
It's a neat point in time to LARP as a holy warrior.
I can't look at it and see anything but one giant historical black comedy though.

The crusade failed, Saladin won against Lionheart in open battle, the ones who attacked pilgrims were executed, the rest were released. Most of Saladin's military career was spent humilating Crusaders mate, the only one who buttraped him was Baldwin, but he was an amateur general back then.

Literally a strategic game by the popes to try and grasp what influence rome had ages prior. To the Catholic elite, there was literally no difference whether they were original me Christian, orthodox, Muslim or Jew. They were all "enemies of Christ" aka muh power is waning.
Rome is literally a cartel/mafia that used religion as a vehicle of control.

The director's cut of this is one of my favorite historical films. It didn't get everything right but I appreciated its nuances. Also based Norton as leper king Baldwin IV.

They were successful in their own right, the actual aims of the Crusaders is generally different to the notion that taking the Holy Land is positive, they were geo-political events classed under a 'Crusade' social and cultural construction. The first fits this primarily.

You're an idiot at least read the Wikipedia about it before commenting.

>Crusaders were known for looting, burning and rapin, though it largely depends on what Crusade were talking about.
>The 1 crusade was a home run, but the sacking of Jerusalem was pretty barbarian
You seem extremely naive boyo. Europeans far outclassed the Muslims. Keep in mind during the 1st Crusade by the time they reached Jerusalem their army was down to roughly 1/3rd of what it was originally. The logistics, and resources required to not only make it that far, but actually take Jerusalem speaks volumes.
>The crusades were a stupid idea, and it cost Christendom Costantinople.
Constantinople would've fallen regardless. The crusades merely showed how far the churches had split.
>muh evil christians vs good muslims
>muh deus vult
I sperged out and went full deus vult mode, but realized I was a huge faggot for doing so. Hopefully these people do too, if they genuinely have an interest in history.

No, crusaders couldn't hold Jerusalem, and their last act was to chimp out and sack christian tombs and temples in Istanbul

>I appreciated its nuances.
Guy, ginger Templar, and the Patriarch of Jerusalem are such cartoons, though

/Pol/ here, they were fucking based and the next crusade we'll show less mercy compared to before. All fucking Muslims, and I mean all of them if they don't fucking pack their bags and gtfo in 48 hours from all European cities and countries, we'll start slaughtering you like pigs. Don't try to become an atheist or an exmuslim, we all know that you are doing tequila which means lying to us. So don't bother. For those that do leave Europe and go back to africa and the middle East, we will still be coming for you. You can run but you can't hide. Deus vult. Islam will be destroyed this century. Next crusade is coming.

/r/Islam here, they were fucking horrible and the next jihad we'll show less mercy compared to before. All fucking europeens, and I mean all of them if they don't submit and and pay the jizya in 48 hours from all arab cities and countries, we'll start slaughtering you like pigs. Don't try to become a muslim or a dhimmi, we all know that you are doing alcohol which is haram. So don't bother. For those that do leave america and go back to europe, we will still be coming for you. You can run but you can't hide. allahu akbar. Christianity will be destroyed this century. Next jihad is coming.

What about the Last Crusade?

[spoiler]It was the best Indiana Jones movie[/spoiler]

>the crusade failed
To reconquer jereusalem. They did help prop up the crusader states
>defeated the crusaders in open battle
The crusaders under richard won way more crushing victories against saladin than the other way around

Richard whole military battles are less than a hundred, Richard was a siege expert, had the battle went on, he would've had his ass handed to him, and by the end of battle he had more amiety for Saladin than the duke of Burgundy, here's the 3th crusade how I remember it:
>After his campaign in Cyprus, Richard helps (does most of the work in Acre)
>Holds prisoners until Saladin fulfills his post-siege oaths
>Kill prisoners because they could pose an internal danger (not muh ebil saracen)
>Fight against lightly armored cavalry with a strong heavy cavalry and a heavy infantry as a backbone.
>Kick Saladin's ass
>Fight again
>Kick Saladin's ass
>go to Jerusalem, but know of a reassembled saracen army west, 20k strong that could incircle them, oh shit the weather is bad gotta go back
>Wanna press the attack by going to the dangerous muslim heartland of Egypt
>Duke of burgundy the autist wants Jerusalem for muh glory and holy land
>ISHYGDDT
>Army is divided
>minor skirmishes (crossbowmen doing lords work)
>Both Saladin and Richard have internal army problems
>ne last attempt to destroy Saladin's base in Egypt
>fail
>Fuck, philip and john plotting to kill me.
>Bye guys, yo Saladin, good game m8.

Amalric II, the King of Jerusalem, tried to take Egypt in the 1180s. Richard the Lionheart was advocating a conquest of Egypt before his men forced him to march on Jerusalem. 4th Crusade was intended for Egypt before it got rerouted to Constantinople. 5th and 6th Crusaders were LITERALLY aimed at Egypt and succeeded in capturing Damietta but got btfo at Mansoura. 7th Crusade was also intended for Egypt but it got diverted to Tunisia.

Also, Second Crusade tried to take Damascus but failed, and Damascus would have been crucial for Mesopotamia. Kingdom of Antioch tried to push toward Aleppo but that was halted at the Field of Blood.

grow up

literally reading faction strengths and weaknesses from Medieval 2

Wow a reasonable post.