100s of thousands of people died in the 1st World War before trenches were ever even dug

>100s of thousands of people died in the 1st World War before trenches were ever even dug

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48
youtube.com/watch?v=1zSowOS4Wyg
youtube.com/watch?v=1iw-HBlziEk
scrapironflotilla.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What would world war 1 be like if it was fought in the 1920s or 1930s?

Go make your own damn thread.

Assuming that both sides stay the same (Britain, Russia, France vs. Germany, Austria, Ottomans), it would have been a lot shorter because Russia would have had a lot more time to industrialize, and Germany would have gotten steamrolled.

>Verdun, Frances supposed worst battle, had 1442 French casualties a day (rounded up to nearest whole number)

>Spring offensive, the German Empires last ditch effort to defeat the entente, had 5784 German casualties a day (rounded down to the nearest whole number)

>Battle of the Frontiers in 1914, had 10967 French casualties a day (Rounded up to the nearest whole number), 10186 German casualties a day (rounded down to the nearest whole number), Britain lost just under a 3rd of its whole army.

What the FUCK was everyone doing in 1914?

Line warfare and large formations turn out to be a really bad idea with machine guns and artillery about.

WW1 was pure unadulterated horror.

youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48

>What the FUCK was everyone doing in 1914?

19th century mentally of warfare meets 20th century technology.

Holy shit

>line warfare

Lolwut?

Makes you wonder wether you'd rather have died in the beginning when you were all hyped up and patriotic or survived the whole thing and ended up metally scarred for life. Of course you could also have pulled an Ernst Jünger and enjoyed the war, but c'mon what are the chances?

Imagine this but with bolt action rifles

youtube.com/watch?v=1zSowOS4Wyg

Man WWI depresses me. It's sequel was horrific but this one feels like a new chapter of human history with a hell of a meat grinder to prove it.

And where did this happen in the First World War?

In it's opening stages, like the Battle of the Marne

Somme, sort of, for the first few days. Brit generals didn't trust their men to stay disciplined while running forward, wanted to conserve their energy for the assault, trusted their artillery to keep the Germans down or blow them to hell, and felt it would be easier to control the battle if men stayed together and walked. Things changed pretty quickly after that.

>One of Europe's many attempts at cultural suicide
fuck. ;__;

All that suffering and death only to set the stage for the next world war.

>implying this wasn't the final and successful one
The west died with the millions of young European men killed between 1914-1945.

>The West is "dying"
>Richer and more prosperous than ever
>Better living standards and better education
>More equality than the imperialism days when a few moguls got rich off looting other countries and everyone else lived in shit
>But now people I might glance at people who I think look different than me on the street occasionally and know that somewhere in another country someone isn't suffering as much as they used to. Thus it was all for nought.

absolute bollocks. British troops advanced in a loose formation before forming into firing lines for the actual attack. This is completely different from Napoleonic tactics. British Generals were not drooling retards and understood how devastating rifle and machine gun fire could be

Worst wars ever:

World war I and II
Korea
Iran Iraq War

World war I is the reason Europe will cease to exist before this century is up

Western civilization was destroyed in 1914 and we have been living in its twilight ever since

The west is quite literally dying, the median age for Europe will be 50 in another generation and the birth rate is a complete joke and that's even if you include all of the fertile newcomers the neoliberal regimes imported

It is quite literally dead and dying

Naah. Things went to shit in 1992 if you've been paying attention. That's when the Globalist project began in earnest.

Europe was wholly irrelevant since the 1940s and was just a satellite of the united States

Europe was at its apogee in 1914 and everything that made Europe Europe was gone by the conclusion of the first world war

>The Irish immigrants are outbreeding natives! surely trends like this will continue with no change forever!
>1980's Japan's economy is skyrocketing! This is the end of the West! The Japanese will own the future!

You act like every population doesn't stop breeding so much when they are no longer poor. White people breed like rabbits when their destitute too.

The past of Europe was.

>Prosperity from the reforms of the liberal Capitalist order
>The Apostasy of Western values due to misplaced materialism and a collapse in belief of both Christian and Enlightenment values.
>The rise of Immorality from a lack of moral value systems, directly leading to declining birthrates.

We are currently at
>The rise of Immigration in order to compensate for the decadence and decline of Western societies.

What will happen next.
>Hyperinflation from the failure of the globalist order to create a sensible economy and the fact that the immigrants cannot produce but take instead.
>The rise of Islamic revolutions and other revolutions from the collapse of the European economic system.
>Then the invasion of Russia which will take over Europe from the collapse of the Western world order. Whether America will remain functional or not will determine if the Russians succeed.

That's because of Hitler, not WW1. Had Hitler succeeded, Europe, not the Soviet Union, would've been the Superpower. More importantly, if Europe wasn't so decadent and depraved, the EU could effectively be a Superpower to rival China or even the USA.

>Then the invasion of Russia which will take over Europe from the collapse of the Western world order. Whether America will remain functional or not will determine if the Russians succeed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHA. Russia's future is a failed state

>third time's the charm
The author if this timeline is a fucking hack.

Russia right now is mobilizing an arms buildup not seen since Hitler. Putin is smarter than the CFR, he knows that the globalists are going to destabilize their own nations and run them into the ground. Once they are utterly ruined, he'll face little to no opposition, because even America will be too destablized to respond in force.

When a man insults another human without making an argument, it's because the information is too traumatic to make a response.

There is no possible chain of events that makes Russia able to invade and occupy western europe. Its economy could not support that. believing anything else is delusional

I like Russia but I think you're betting too hard on them

The fact that they're trying so hard to cling onto fucking Ukraine should tell you that much.

I mean, it's Ukraine. Ukraine is Russia to begin with - and they're having issues.

No, they were donkeys. Well documented that tactics like this were in fact ordered. The exception, of course, rather than the rule, but it did happen.

Line warfare has been dead for decades now.

It was already dead in the 1870s.

Bad for the Germans, They saw an inevitable war, and figured it would only be worse for them as time went on.

You don't understand. Once Europe goes kaput from its economic crisis due to its demographic collapse because immigrants failed to solve the problem, it won't take much to actually occupy and control Europe. It's like fighting a man with AIDS, or, in a his sense, it's exactly like the Byzantine-Gothic war, with Russia being the Orthodox ERE.

That's because Europe still has a functional economy and is stable. The moment Europe loses its stability and its economy, there won't be any capacity to resist.

Russia has a demographic problem as bad as Europe's m8, if not worse.

Well, ERE failed to keep Italy, just ruined it and opened the gates to the Lombards.
Maybe that´s what he meant?

But it won't suffer from a political crisis that will cripple it's ability to maintain cohesion, nor will it suffer from hyperinflation to support Achmed's Islamic lifestyle. Also, keep in mind North Korea has an economy even worse than Russia, and somehow, that doesn't effect North Korea's military might.

Economic Powe r=/= Military power.

That's the most likely outcome, desu. What they actually manage to occupy and keep, IDK.

Utterly horrifying beyond words. Very sad to try and comprehend the reality of this war. Whenever something bad happens to me I think of WW1 and then count me blessings.

Anyone have the WW1 grentext about ripping the gas mask from a fellow soldier?

Also I was reading “the myth of the Great War” but stopped because you need to know a lot about the war to understand the book. It’s about how France and Britain got BTFO’d repeatedly and lied about it.

Russia has problems smaller than the western european immigrant crisis, but bigger than the eastern european demographic crisis. There will be economic turmoil alright, but eastern europe will be no pushover at all.
>functional economy and is stable
That doesn't exactly describe ukraine.

Ukraine is being propped up by proxy forces from the West. As long as the West can keep putting energy into Ukraine, then Ukraine can keep fighting.

>That's because of Hitler, not WW1.
hitler wasn't "european"

he was secular modernist trash

>French shells began to hit to the right and left of us, leaving human forms writhing in agony. Our advance came to a stop and after hesitating a few minutes we drew back while the artillery fire followed us, ripping large gashes in our formation - soon the French drumfire engulfed us, the air was filled with gas and flying pieces of steel.
>We automatically mounted the machine gun for action. Then like animals, we burrowed into the earth as if trying to find protection deep in its bosom. Something struck my back where I carried my gas mask, but I did not pay attention to it. A steel splinter broke the handle of my spade and another knocked the remains out of my hand. I kept digging with my bare hands, ducking my head every time a shell exploded nearby.
>A boy to my side was hit in the arm and cried out for help. I crawled over to him, ripped the sleeves of his coat and shirt open and started to bind the bleeding part. The gas was so thick now I could hardly discern what I was doing. My eyes began to water and I felt as if I would choke. I reached for my gas mask, pulled it out of its container - then noticed to my horror that a splinter had gone through it leaving a large hole.
>I had seen death thousands of times, stared it in the face, but never experienced the fear I felt then. Immediately I reverted to the primitive. I felt like an animal cornered by hunters. With the instinct of self-preservation uppermost, my eyes fell on the boy whose arm I had bandaged. Somehow he had managed to put the gas mask on his face with his one good arm. I leapt at him and in the next moment had ripped the gas mask from his face. With a feeble gesture he tried to wrench it from my grasp; then fell back exhausted. The last thing I saw before putting on the mask were his pleading eyes.
Was there ever a greater tragedy?

>Apostates dying
>Bad
Soldiers back then were devoid of any morality and it's good that it haunted them to their last days.

Thank you for properly punctuating your b8.

youtube.com/watch?v=1iw-HBlziEk

>Implying I'm wrong

>implying you're wrong

>Le spoopy music
>Shitty ambient sounds and voices
>Red filter
>Cherrypicked videos to prove that war is horrifying and everyone and their parents got gassed, followed by getting shelled into dust and getting shot in the head by ebil nazi NKVD British officers, who in turn ordered their troops to charge well defended outposts with just oaken sticks
Reddit: the Movie

Goddam that’s one of the most haunting things I’ve ever read. Thanks I’ll save it. Any more?

I encountered this lad a while back on Veeky Forums and he has a pretty solid picture blog
scrapironflotilla.tumblr.com/

Trench warfare wasn't what killed people. It actually saved them, as shown by how the immobile battles were much safer than the mobile ones.

What is this Veeky Forums meme of sadposting about Western front? Like WW2 and the wars before and after contained similar brutality, depravity and suffering.

Feels worse to die in such an immense struggle and then feel like it was all for nothing. The pointlessness of WW1 was unique.

wow with that bravado I'm sure you'd really have loved the trenches!

millions died because of some fucking serbs.

>Forgetting the Thirty Years' War.
It killed the same percentage of the planet as WW2 despite being localized entirely in Europe.

Fucking Germans

Nice spacing