Helmets

What was the ABSOLUTE best helmet in the ancient world?

By that i mean the one that offered the most protection, was cheap to make en mass and had a good design

Ill start with a strong contender

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B9TIeZX_nGo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no other helmet can function as a weapon

I'll bet I could hurt you with any helmet

Bump

>By that i mean the one that offered the most protection, was cheap to make en mass and had a good design

You're almost correct as the cheapest well designed helmet in the ancient world was the one where the Imperial Gallic was descended from: the Celtic Coolus helmet.

During the Celtic Migrations, both Hellenics and Romans copied the shit out of the Coolus.

looks like he's about to chew dip and talk about football

>ergonomic
>light-weight
>super effective
>is recommended by your doctor
>will probably protect you from swords
>will not cause concussion
>has nice cover against dust while you ride your horse to battle

We are living in the best world

>cant hear shit from your commanders
>cant say shit to your fellow soldiers
>can only see forward

All the Roman helmet needed was a forward projecting peak and sliding nose guard and it would be almost the same as the lobster-tailed pot helmet (chichak).

bump

>chew dip
Are you retarded?

How is this ancient world?

ancien reigme duh
>dood spontanteous evolition doesn't happen, the japanese stole the idea of the sword from PIE
>not implementing mics

If you're talking about Roman helmets then the Niederbieber and Late Roman ridge helmets were both objectively superior in terms of function. The Niederbieber provided straight up better protection, while the Late Roman ridge helmet was astronomically cheaper to make and also offered better protection.

i would a Agen helmet

I must be a reincarnated quartermaster because anything but the most basic/cheap ornamentation in a helmet or armor triggers my inner ((()))

>ridge helmet

Mah nigga

>literally just a backwards basball hat with earflaps made out of bronze

>>ridge helmet
>Mah nigga
I see you're a veteran of the Dacian wars my niggus supremus.

when you're literally some of the first helmet makers, that's a perfectly great design

I don't know anything about armor or practicality but I've always liked the look of the Anglo Saxon helmets.

Yeah the legionary helm was pretty god tier.

The Corinthian Helmet would be the runner up IMO.

the Sutton Hoo helmet is likely a Germanic take in a Roman Cav helmet

Germanics, like most Indo-Europeans, held the horse in common with kingship. That's why the helmet was found with an East Anglian king.

fun fact, the gems on one eye were dulled while the other was not. this was likely because kings typically traced themselves back to Odin.

your typical germanic helmet was going to be a Roman copy, like pic related

>was cheap to make en mass

>post that

Fuck yeah shutter shades installed

Op asked for "cheap and well made."

Well, that was the Coolus.

It had more protection than the cheapest Greco-Roman Helmet: the Pilos.

>corinthian

Boatian is where it's at.

if you're a cavalryman surely, but corinthian might be a better choice if you're heavy infantry

as much as i love the Greco-Roman world, Celts honestly had it down pat with armor, there's a reason Romans adopted it wholesale

>Not Phrygian

Celts liked extensive neck protection in their armor because their method of swordfighting absolutely loved downward stabs to the neck/nape. Especially when shield walls are pushing against each other.

that looks beautiful, however would they have actually fought with helmets of that quality or they just for ceremonial purposes?

dip as in tobacco

>because their method of swordfighting absolutely loved downward stabs to the neck/nape.
How do you know ther method of swordfighting?

You don't chew dip

Corinthian helmets were replaced with Chalcydians which were pretty much equal in protection, only the cheeks were hinged and hugged the face better and this made them more compact and comfortable.

Not really ancient dude.

Bump

Maybe not the best or most ancient one, but we need to Slav this thread up a bit with some old Slavic szyszak.

P.S. Related music.
youtube.com/watch?v=B9TIeZX_nGo

Based penis head helmet.

What has been seen...

Well yeah, you can hurt anyone with any sort of object that you're capable of holding.

what's up with Greeks and penis helmets

simple but elegant

the backwards baseball cap is the best helmet ever

>ancient world

Chalcidian. Small an compact, easy to make, aesthetic, and covers most of the head.

thracian is aesthetic as fuck too

Where and When is "Ancient"?

Always loved thracian helmets but they were probably not easy to massproduce.

Historically there wasn't really anything recognisable as mass production until the Late Roman Empire with the introduction of the fabricae under Constantine.

This one from the late Saxon period looks really cool.

You mean Montefortino, right?

Looks thuggin but it would be awful getting your beard caught in all of that ringmail.

unironically t. 16 year old, ypu put that shit in your lower lip and let the nicotine absorb through your gums. Protip, it mixes fnastastically with uppers such as amphetamines or coke

t. Veeky Forums i swear

user meant that the lobster tail helmet was a very short leap from the Roman design, at glance he's right but the construction method and fittings are totally different.

I do thing the sliding nose guard in the lobster would fit perfectly in a Galea, no idea why they didnt think of it. That or the "cage" made out of three simple beams seen in some later helmets.

Bump

>tfw no face helms posted

Easily the most aesthetic helmet ever made, simple yet beautiful

Disgusting, the Thracian helmet is much superior

>when you fuck up your beard shaving but still want to look like a hairy mother fucker

MY MAN

Who the fuck even likes those dildo helmets?

Beards are nests for lice anyway.

Thracian/Phrygian

>Dildo

They were made to look like Phrygian hats

this thing

"English civil war", wonder why they're more iconic of the Polish