Why does the medieval era seem to have a bigger "fandom" than any other historical era?

Why does the medieval era seem to have a bigger "fandom" than any other historical era?

Knights and medieval movies seem pretty popular, and in most places it's easy to find medieval/renaissance fairs.

I've never heard of anything similar for classical antiquity. Sure, sword and sandal movies come in waves, but I only know of a small handful of Roman reenactment groups around the US and I've never heard of a Roman culture festival.

Hell, it's easy enough to find US Civil War and WWII festivals and reenactment groups.

What gives? We spent a lot of time covering classical antiquity in school but not nearly as much on the medieval era or the civil war.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EszwYNvvCjQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Similar enough to be comfortable but distant enough to let your imagination run wild. It’s a romantic period. Where your modern country is recognizable in it’s “classic” Disney/fairytale form.

Antiquity has too much rape, slavery, massacres, corruption, human sacrifice, and boy fucking.

Because you're American and thus have zero connection to the Ancient world. Same with the medieval world of course but that was always popular, even when the colonies were being founded.

>Why does the medieval era seem to have a bigger "fandom" than any other historical era?
European Romanticism I guess. Also feudalism was the last historic cycle before democracy/capitalism/nationalism began to take hold.
I don't know, just idle speculation.

We are the inheritors of Rome. The hell you talking about?

>Similar enough to be comfortable
Kinda makes sense, since most modern western cultures, countries, and languages have roots in the medieval era.

>Antiquity has too much rape, slavery, massacres, corruption, human sacrifice, and boy fucking.
And the medieval era had poor hygiene, disease, extreme social inequality, bad education, and a lot of those things you mentioned. Antiquity is pretty romanticized in the west, too.

I also wonder why Egypt doesn't get the same treatment outside of Indiana Jones wannabes.

Because that's when anglos and other wh*Tes experienced a little relevance

We are taught about classical antiquity in school as the roots of western culture. In fact, in my grade school we did this "ancient Greece simulation."

Basically we had to choose Ancient Greek names to use for a few weeks, wear chitons (read: bedsheets) to class every day, and were grouped into "city states."

Lmao

Awesome.

We did similar for ancient egypt as a unit. The when we studied medieval times, we each had to present our project and then get knighted by the teacher if we got an A.

>One kid screamed like a girl when he noticed a spider
>Teacher says “Remember, I said rise and be brave”
>Everyone keks

European Romanticist faggots, part of which was a rebellion against fapping to the Classical World. Romanticists went "why do you jack off so much to Greece & Rome when our own muh heritage was as beautiful?"

You had shit like British Aristocracy holding LARP-tier jousts in the 1830s and Germans nationalists prancing about in Gothic Medieval Aesthetic.

Modern Fantasy shit like D&D and Lord of The Rings also encourages the fandom of the medieval world.

Closeness in time makes a big difference, an American of, say, French extraction can look at a map of medieval Europe and see "France" right there, he looks at a classical map and sees, what, "GALLIA LVGDVNENSIS"?

Its Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings and pan Europa personally for me. Game was on post Rome collapse.

I remember being butthurt because I wasn't put in Athens, I was in Megara instead. There was this girl who was in Sparta and she got "exiled" for saying the word "peace." She hung out with us for a few hours until the teacher realized what was up.

The teachers chose deity names and you could do "offerings" to get extra credit.

I think at one of the grade schools in my town they did a faux religious ceremony where they mummified a cat and read from the book of the dead.

We also did a "medieval feast" where we basically just potatoes and chicken tenders and dressed as crusaders.

I think that probably is due to nationalism.

In Middle Ages some actual states arised in form of Ancient Regime Kingdoms and I think that many nations celebrate its antiquity.

If you try to do this with Roman Empire you cannot connect History with nationalism properly due to many states. Many of them were only provinces or its actual borders didn´t exist or looked similar. The only state who connected its nationalism with Roman Empire clearly was Italy in the fascist period of Mussolini.

Furthermore UK, Germany and many states from the bottom of capitalism and nationalism in 19th had not a "big History" in these times, so they prefer to focus in middle Ages

We had to memorize a small speech about a particular Egyptian God and their myth. It was a live action “museum”. We’d dress like mummies, then our parents & teachers would press a button to make us start speaking.

WE

Its the last era of genuine white culture thats why whites romanticize it so much, they dont really know much about pre-medieval Europe besides Romans.

>The only state who connected its nationalism with Roman Empire clearly was Italy in the fascist period of Mussolini.
Doesn't Romania do that to some degree? IIRC They claim to be the children of Roman Legionaries and Dacian Women.

We just went to the King Tut exhibit when it was at my city. That turned into another surreal experience for me

>go on field trip to King Tut exhibit in 6th grade
>my mom kept singing that Steve Martin "King Tut" song
>I was curious about it
>find it, think it's funny
>decide to film myself singing/dancing to it
>being a dumb 12 year old, I put it on YouTube
>a few friends see it, we have a laugh, not much else happens
>fast forward to 7th grade
>now I'm in middle school
>a few students find it
>overhear people talking about it
>it blows up and the whole school is watching it
>panic and take it down
>it's too late
>everyone calls me King Tut
>over the next two years I can't go a day without someone saying "hey King Tut"
>people put up Facebook petitions trying to get me to put King Tut back on YouTube
>think I'm going to be funny in 8th grade
>upload a video titled "king tut" with a frame from my video as the thumbnail
>it's actually Rick Roll
>everyone gets pissed off and keeps calling me King Tut
>people offer me money for it
>fast forward to high school
>an Egyptian kid moves in to the school
>everyone calls him King Tut instead
>he gets butthurt over it, but hey now I'm no longer King Tut

The fantasy genre is almost exclusively set in a Medieval Fantasy world. I for one have never seen a fantasy universe set in anything besides a fucking Medieval ripoff.
So then you get shit like LOTR or GoT that focus entirely on that type of setting and people get residual interest in the Medieval aesthetic in general because of it.

And potatoes dind´t exist in Middle Ages in Europa.

Maybe one day we will see medieval feast with avocados and crusaders cutting theirselves trying to eat

Next time look for for a complaint!

>medieval/renaissance fairs.

Why is this even a thing in America?

It sells. No idea why they call them ren fairs since they're more like late medieval fairs. Even then the whole thing looks pretty inaccurate and anachronistic.

Don’t tell us how to live our lives

< these fuckers.
Anglos have always romanticised medieval times thanks to king arthur, beowulf, folklore in general, chivalry, shakespeare and you name it. They spread it to US which spread it everywhere else thanks to domination of the film industry.

Medieval Iberia is the only place where it's interesting IMO. Too bad we'll never see a good movie about the Reconquista.

Forgot Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Biggest fandom has WWII

like 0 contest

at least 40% of people interested in history are WWII fags

And be sure that if they make a film about it you will see a Evil Christians killing innocent Moors.

You never know, crusades are still relatively popular, but anything that involves fighting against muslim invaders in Europe will inevitably be tied to right wing politics these days.

did people really walk like this in medieval times?
youtube.com/watch?v=EszwYNvvCjQ

Anglo relevance only started with the Renaissance, middle ages was a shameful period of Froggie supremacy.

>Game was on post Rome collapse
What? No it wasn't. Of the 5 vanilla campaigns, only 3 of them were set in Europe, and the oldest of those took place a whole 700 years after the collapse of Rome.

As someone who was there, I can personally testify that this is indeed how we walked back then

>Doesn't Romania do that to some degree? IIRC They claim to be the children of Roman Legionaries and Dacian Women.
Vlachs claim this, and it's probably true. Not all Romanians are Vlachs, of course.

>Anglo relevance only started with the Renaissance
What is the north sea empire? What is the Angevin empire? Who is king Arthur? What is the hundred year's war?

England and France were very relevant during the middle ages

This in not only about Right or Left points of view. At least in my opinion Spanish Historical culture is focused in defeats and Reconquista was a victory and the moment were the spanish state was founded and nowadays this is a sensitive topic.
The only film about Reconquista was made by americans and It was about Cid.

Because that period actually influences modern life, unlike classical antiquity

Robin hood

because it epitomises the normie psyche and way of life

PLOT:

>Evil white Christian king plots to conquer multicultural Moorish city
>Black Moorish leader defends city with intelligence gathered from sly, cunning Jewish girl
>Black man stabs evil King in climactic battle and the Moorish city is saved.
>Moors and Jews celebrate victory while evil Christian white male army flees.

IT WOULD LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THAT

Antiquity is alien because the values of ancients Romans and Greeks aren't based in Christianity like the medieval culture is. Modern Westerners find the medeival era more relateable.

Classic antiquity resembles modern life far more than the medieval feudal period does.

Because medieval era has something close to "modern nations" like Britain and France that people can sorta relate to. Before medieval era, people barely know except maybe Rome or Greeks.

Also, people are more familiar with medieval era thanks to games like JRPG and d&d. Have you ever seen a hentai game that is set during 3rd century BCE?

>Hell, it's easy enough to find US Civil War and WWII festivals and reenactment groups.
Imagine dressing up as SS or Robert E. Lee in the street. Knights and princesses are much "friendlier". Heck, even SJWs are fine with knights as long as the person inside the armor is some black ginger girl or something.

>north sea empire
Danish
>Angevin empire
French
>King Arthur
A Welshman
> hundred year's war
Feud between rival bands of Frenchmen for control of the French crown

Because, unlike ancient history, people can recognize modern countries in them, so its much more relatable to hear about the medieval kings of England or France than the kings of Assyria or Urartu.

Maybe because people can claim a direct link with the time periods you mentionned? That is they know they have such and such European ancestry so they larp it out as such. Seeing as parish records help with following ancestry it is possible to follow up on one's origins.
It is somewhat harder to claim and verify roman ancestry or other earlyish periods, their is therefore less personal attachement to these periods which explains why there is less interest.

>Danish
Ruled by a dude who was king of England, spent most his time in England, identified as Anglo and who's advisors were all English.
>French
If you're going to argue that the north sea empire is Danish because Cnut was born in Denmark, then you may aswell argue that the Angevin empire was English as most of the rulers were born in England. There was a kingdom of France at the time and they constantly fought over English continental possessions. Calls it a french empire yet the highest title is English, the best established holding is England and it ended in England.
>Welsh
Debatable although i will concede that it is likely. Even then wales and England are unified so claimed.
>Feuds between rival bands of Frenchmen
Tell that to all the ENGLISH who fought for ENGLAND to gain French territory to benefit ENGLAND. The kings were all ENGLISH and identified as such. Inb4 "b-but french ancestry", by that bullshit logic there is no such thing as an American or the Normans were still vikings. It was the hundred years war that established such nationalism. Seriously stop chatting so much shit Pierre.

Besides you're missing the whole point. England is a focal point in all these significant historical events. How can you be so retarded to call them irrelevant.

>France BTFO'd France at Agincourt