The other day i was sitting in a pub and a guy similar to pic related said

The other day i was sitting in a pub and a guy similar to pic related said
>whole life is an accident
and later when the conversation steered towards history he added
>people used to be so stupid, like why didn't greeks invent steam enginge, its so obvious

I told him its bullshit, but i quickly realized i have no idea how to explain why. Can you guys help me out so i don't make an idiot out of myself next time.

history is a cascadence of incremental increases. dude had steak on his mind.

Greeks did invent steam engine. They just didn't have any fuel for it except wood, and they couldn't harvest enough wood to make the whole thing practical. If the Greeks had discovered coal we might have had the industrial revolution in like 500 BC

dude i need a way to explain metaphysical shit like that life isn't really an accident to a dumbfuck chad.

I actually tried and it ended up something like
>You know, we exist because something happened and if it didn't happen we wouldn't exist so we wouldn't be able to think about if it was an accident, and without the cause there wouldn't be consequence, well its not about us thinking about it, but unless that something would happen we would never exist so there would be no point in wandering if its an accident
To which he replied
>What the fuck are you on about

And the reason they did not manage to discover coal is that its is found too deep underground. It took us a long time to development the technology to be able to go that far down.

Its more about how do you explain to a plebian that its hard as fuck to invent something that was never invented before?

Same as people saying that if they would be born in Iraq they wouldn't be radical muslims. Its the kind of people that can't really think outside of boundaries of their own life.

If you weren't you, you wouldn't be you. The concept of "yourself" is merely made up of your past experiences. If you had different experiences, you would be a different person.

well i sort of agree with him whole life is an accident. and the greeks did invent the steam engine, his name was literally 'Hero'. But adaption and advancement of these innitial fringe ideas require investment, capital, and want from top-downs to proliferate, which occurs with greater frequency over time as we achieved a collectively greater amount of shit and deal with scarcity.

>"But i'd still understand that killing is wrong, thats like universal truth"

thats actually what one bitch told me in response of that very same argument

For fucks sake, life isn't an accident
I am pretty sure of that, i just wish i could somehow explain it. Closest thing is but thats not close at all

>For fucks sake, life isn't an accident
hes being poetic and youre being autistic.

the immense immeasurable complexity of chance events that brought current situation to bare can only ever be described as an accident in the larger picture. chads are straight to the point, learn to cut through your own bullshit and you'l do better in conversation with them.

You can say that poetically, but reasonably its bullshit.
To me it feels same kind of stupidity as people saying "its beautiful how earth and sun give us exactly what we need"
we fucking evolved to live off what it has god damn it, not the other way around

Dude what the fuck were you on about?

>dude i need a way to explain metaphysical shit like that life isn't really an accident to a dumbfuck chad.
Do it yourself lazy faggot.

who cares? let him enjoy his above average salary, eventual divorce from his wife, now-empty house of above average size, strained relationship with his children, and midlife crisis sports car

>the Undertaker's streak was just bullshit, I mean why didn't Jame the Snake just beat him

Bring a gun, shoot him in the kidney, then say, smiling, that whole life is a series of accidents.

no, you'd be shaped by differently by different experiences, that which experiences would remain that which experiences which is what is uniquely (You).

Just tell that faggot "maybe YOU were an accident" and then proceed to get the shit beat out of you.

>You know, we exist because something happened and if it didn't happen we wouldn't exist so we wouldn't be able to think about if it was an accident, and without the cause there wouldn't be consequence, well its not about us thinking about it, but unless that something would happen we would never exist so there would be no point in wandering if its an accident

>Greeks did invent steam engine. They just didn't have any fuel for it except wood, and they couldn't harvest enough wood to make the whole thing practical. If the Greeks had discovered coal we might have had the industrial revolution in like 500 BC
>And the reason they did not manage to discover coal is that its is found too deep underground. It took us a long time to development the technology to be able to go that far down.

This is all wrong.

First of all, the Greeks had knowledge of coal, its properties, and other substitutes.

Second, the reason the steam engine wasn't developed until the late 17th c. and didn't become useful until James Watt was because of metallurgy, materials, and cost.

As other anons have pointed out, classical Greeks had a knowledge of steam power. The problem was they couldn't utilise it. This is because to power any machine of significant size and power, you require a few materials that the Greeks didn't have access to. Chief among these is large quantities of good quality steel (such as crucible steel), which is vital for the production of high pressure boilers, pistons, and valves, without which you can't drive anything of any real weight.

The other problem is cost. In order to build a steam engine of significant size, you will require several tons, perhaps even hundreds of tons, of iron, which all needs to be smelted and cast, which in turn requires a MASSIVE production chain involving machinery that has no purpose other than to cast huge quantities of steel, such as crucible furnaces, industrial blast furnaces, and the like.

No nation other than the Roman empire could come anywhere close to producing enough iron ore to drive this industry, and even for Rome it would be staggeringly expensive. And that's just mining the ore, next you need to smelt it, refine it, cast it, transport it etc.

Your educated guesses are still just guesses.

I'm sorry sweetie, but history's motor are economic interest and efficient performance.

>the Virgin Explanation
>the Chad Reply

>not looking like pic related and BTFOing out plebs in intellectual and physical contests
Weak man

>Your educated guesses are still just guesses.

On which subject?

Yes I don't know exactly how expensive it would be for Rome to create steam power based infrastructure and what the outcomes would be, maybe they could manage it, maybe they couldn't, sure as shit no one else could.

What we do KNOW is that you NEED certain materials in order to build steam engines capable of higher than air pressure power, which equates to engines that can pull any significant amount of weight. And we KNOW that the classical Greeks and Romans didnt have access to these materials because they require relatively advanced industrial processes to produce, and a lot of technological knowledge that was built up in the years between the classical period and the industrial revolution.

You need tools to build a steam engine, those tools have to be made out of other tools, which are themselves made out of other tools, you can see where this is going.

>greeks didn't into steam engine
the romans actually did, but slaves were cheaper so it never took off.