Does anyone else here want to get into reenacting but is afraid to because it's probably full of weirdos?

Does anyone else here want to get into reenacting but is afraid to because it's probably full of weirdos?

Other urls found in this thread:

hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/index.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why waste your time, how can you have so little do and so much time?

And yet he posts on Veeky Forums.

On here I can laugh at you degenerates remotely. I'm nowhere near you IRL.

They're all losers like you

user you ARE the weirdo.

it depends on where do you live, SS reenactors are always autistic edgelords, Wehrmacht sometimes, all other reenacting groups are ok. In Eastern Europe you can get drunk on every event, Westerners are pussies that cant bring real guns or sometimes even blank ammo and use sport stadiums because real terrain is too dangerous.
Pic related.

I'm in the US. Most reenactors I see are obese middle aged men portraying civil war soldiers. I'm down to do anything (US civil war, spanish civil war, Wehrmacht, Partisans, Red Army, other allied forces from WWII, etc.) but there doesn't seem to be a big following for it where I live.

I'd be especially interested in Roman stuff or portraying my grandfather's unit from WWII (325th glider infantry).

gooble gobble one of us

It seems like Civil war (especialy Confederates) are SS of USA, so I think that WW2 would be best for you, Rome could be ok as well, but it has simmilar problem like Vietnam, it lacks enemies, people just dont want to portray Vietcong (it would look weird most of the time, ive seen whites portraying Chinese in Korean war) and barbarians so its more like LARP (the good one) that consist of parades and camp life for public. I also always liked medieval since there is the cool melee fighting part, but this is by far the most expensive one since decent armor is about 3500+ dollars.

>use sport stadiums because real terrain is too dangerous.

Lolwut?

in some places like Spain it´s a job, altought it doesn´t pay much desu

that guy with ushanka, bootle and smoking told me that he was in Netherlands (or his friend on New Zealand, iam not sure, i was drunk) several years ago (he does it for about 25 years, 20 years Wehrmacht and last 5 Red army) and they had Sd.Kfz. 251 driving on that part where people run and soldiers were running on grass in the middle with weapons that cant shoot, from one line to another (there were white lines painted on grass so everyone knew wha to do)
This is absolutely retarded, since it ruins all the fan and things like accidentaly ambushing allied camp at night, shooting at each other in dark for 20 minutes before realising that you are one team or getting lost in the swamp and appearing 20km away in some town next day cant happen.

*all the fun

>A drunk reenactor said it

100% honest truth then...

i was drunk, not him

IIRC in some civ war groups they take turns portraying each side, but there are some really salty neo-confederates who absolutely refuse to play Yanks, some people are doing it as a tribute to "muh heritage" I guess.

WWII does seem good, though. I actually have an original Wehrmacht helmet (probably not too useful for reenacting but whatever), a Luger, a 10m long swastika banner, and an original Soviet flag from WWII.

I guess I look "generically white" (brown hair, blue eyes, fair skin) so I could probably convincingly portray most forces in WWII, even Jewish Partisans or Italians in a stretch.

>A drunk reenactor heard it from another reenactor and can't remember which side of the Earth it took place on

Even more trustyworth!

it is full of weirdos

>he thinks reenactment portrayals are limited by what color your hair is

You're going to shit bricks when you see the all white Red Ball Express and Korean SS.

sounds good, it depends on if is that helmet in good condition, but most people just collect this and buy replicas for reenacting, stuff like binoculars are exception. Btw its common to steal flags of another team and demanding alcohol as ransom for it, so be careful. Czech reenactors are like this sometimes in case of Czechoslovak army corps or Legionaries from WW1 because they take it too serious, call each other "brother" and take reenacting as their holy duty, but they are fine.

i hate my country assuming this is america

why? That seems like a funny troupe

>people are having fun in the wrong way

Yep, its club from Illinois called 709th static infanterie division, that black guy is Indian.

>all of the world should admire my ancestors' history and accomplishments
>STOP RE-ENACTING MY ANCESTORS' HISTORY YOU FILTHY FOREIGNERS!
Oh (You)

How much should I look at spending on a basic kit to be a typical infantryman from WWII?

I actually found out there's a group portraying my grandfather's unit active in the area but their website 404s.

Read the relevant sections of this site first.

hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/index.htm

It realy, realy depends on what do you want to portray, i have experience just with RKKA and partly Wehrmacht since i use some of their stuff for being a partisan. This excludes weapons: among Czech reenactors, you can get fine boots for about 50-100 dollars, clothes for 150 + stuff like pouches, belt and those things where do you put ammo is about 100 dollars, Wehrmacht can be about 500-1000 dollars. Having friends among reenactors is always great since they can lend you some stuff for free or for about 1/2-1/3 of price on shops.

Btw to boots, those use to be the most expensive stuff, but most people dont have problem with jackboots that for example for RKKA were made in 1989 like i use, but they have to look like those on the left, not rubber ones like on the right.

I would love to get into it. Currently its also a matter of time and money, especially since I want to get into Roman reenactment. I also want to be as peak physical condition as possible, because it makes the armor and seem that much more cool.

That Russian Liberation Army badge on nignog...

Why would he lie about that?

They're having fun re-enacting. Calm down, sperg.

You sound insecure.

Because reenactors are notorious for telling tall tales based on rumour and half remembered information.

In addition to being pretty outlandish compared with how most events are run in Western Europe. There may be the odd one that might take place on a playing field or similar but it'd be because that's where it's easy to get people to and watch, not "hurrr pussy westerns too pussy to play pretend in a slightly different place!!!".

If you enjoy your time spend here you're a weirdo for starters, but there are different levels of it, you should go and check what's theirs.