How was the average human diet before we learned to use fire?

How was the average human diet before we learned to use fire?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ztceYlbVdOs
youtu.be/gwoC_daWjjQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_of_fire_by_early_humans
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>kill rabbit
>eat rabbit
>pick berries
>eat berries
>catch fish
>eat fish

and so on..

So just berries and raw animals? No such thing like soups or anything that could resemble a culinary tradition?

Who has time to make soup?

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking questions here.

>soup
>without fire
>raw meat floating in cold water

Fire use was common well before humans became "humans".

I'm sure there was more to it than that, they probably ate pretty much whatever they could find & safely eat, but I doubt they had anything like a culinary tradition before the use of fire for cooking.

This. In fact, better diet probably led to our larger brain development.

Nothing like cold soup and soggy things to go great on the palate

Fire use was already a thing among Homo Erectus so it would have to be even earlier. So Homo Habilis. Over a million years ago. Their diet would be plant matter, berries, fruits, maybe the occasional raw meat, but not much. Homo Habilis was just a smarter more human like chimp that knew it could use a rock to kill something. They had far stronger jaws then most humans do todays, but they were still far weaker compared to chimps.

Pre Homosapien diet was likely plant based with very poor bioavailability. The invention of fire and its subsequent use in cooking enabled us to cook both plant matter and meat. Cooking plants led them to be able to be digested far easier, increasing the calories available to us when we consumed them. The cooking of meat enabled us to eat it without the insanely high risk of getting tremendously sick and being able to digest it properly. This large increase in available calories in our diet is likely the trigger point that lead to increasing brain development in subsequent protohumans leading up to homo-sapiens.

Do historians know when we actually started using fire/discovered it?

Wasn't meat a huge reason why our brains grew so much? I don't know where I heard this though.

That's very interesting, thanks for the responses.

Fire is prehuman.
youtu.be/ztceYlbVdOs
youtu.be/gwoC_daWjjQ

You guys are forgetting about drying out meat like jerky in the sun duh

If animals don’t have to cook raw meat to not get sick why do we have to?

A thousand keks were had. Thanks user.

No bowl for the pot au pho either.

dont think we have the right bacteria in our guts

Bone marrow, animal flesh, and what plants they ate.

Fire was invented (at least) 600,000 BC. Modern homo sapiens only appeared around 40,000 BC

What culinary tradition do you see chimpanzees using?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_of_fire_by_early_humans

The size of our intestinal tracts and the flora in our gut is underdeveloped for the task. Because we have only been eating meat since the invention of fire, our bodies haven't fully evolved to digest it. We sit somewhere between omnivorous and plant based in physical features. Carnivores have very short digestive tracts, with very strong digestive enzymes and bacterias. They eat it, digest if fast, then poop it really quick. Where as when we eat meat it sits in our digestive tract for quite a long time, hence why it is often a large factor in bowel cancer.

This is also true, jerky may have been a viable food source but likely wasn't a large part of the prefire diet

Apparently eating 5 cups of onion a week cuts gastrointestinal cancer rates by 80%.

It's manageable if you mix high-fat no-sugar yogurt with the cup of onions.

Or you can just be French
t. Dad was a French chef

>Wasn't meat a huge reason why our brains grew so much?
No, starchy root vegetables were the reason.

Humans are not carnivores, barely if evem omnivores. Just because we can technologically render anything into being edible doesn't mean it's natural.

Fruits, nuts, leafy greens. No fire (and no tools), no meat.

Fire was invented before Homosapiens came into existence. Homosapiens did not invent fire. The earliest evidence of control of fire was done by Homo erectus, nearly 1.5 Million years ago.

Homo sapiens only started existing around 300K years ago. The big trigger point happened roughly 60,000 years ago when Homo sapiens started settling down.

And yes, Homo erectus were eating meat and plants with fire a million years before Homo sapiens even came into existence.

Imagine the smell of your gas... dear God...

But I fucking hate onions

you could salt the meat and/or dry it on the sun to make jerky

a number of salads and cold soups can be done without any fire however they require a lot veggies to begin with and i don't see hunter-gatherers to encounter enough

like you can put cabbage leaves in a barrel filled with water

or do the same with fish

maybe if you live near a volcano, but that's not really adaptive behavior long term

I've eaten one organic onion a day for two weeks now and I'm more regular than ever.

y-you don't really have to eat them raw.

Nice try Veeky Forums.

As an added bonus you become a walking bioweapon

You're conflating "natural" responses with bodily behaviors that persist in modern diets. One of the primary reasons I switched to the keto-lite(ish) diet was because I only have to shit once or twice a day and the shit that does come out just comes out. Eating bread and pasta and wheat thins, I had to shit five times a day and the smell was unholy.

And as I said, the yogurt is surprisingly great at masking the bitterness of onion. No bad breath or what not.

Probably just roots, berries and that shit and raw meat so like what? A racoon?