The Myanmar Region

Anyone interested in this region. I've been reading Being and Becoming Kachin by Mandy Sadan, which is a history of Kachins, but in a way that acknowledges that the ethnicity isn't as clear cut as western historians would like to believe.
Also reading The Enemy Within, by Francis Wade about the rise of Buddhist Nationalism and anti muslim sentiment.

On the fiction side of things, I'm starting the Ibis trilogy by Amitav Ghosh, which is a three part epic about British/Indian/Myanmar/China.

Any other burmaphiles out there?

Why Nosegle can go to every street and take pictures of pedestrians for Nosegle Maps but can't show unrecognized state possessions on Nosegle Earth

>Also reading The Enemy Within, by Francis Wade about the rise of Buddhist Nationalism and anti muslim sentiment.
Rohingya/muzzie apologia.

I'd like a book that provides a good general history on Burma/Myanmar though.

don't want to encourage others? it's worth noting that quite a few of these areas have their own functioning school systems that are in some cases better than the burmese school system.

And then there's Wa State which is a de facto state of it's own.

I want all of those ethnic minorities to be liberated so we can have a massive clusterfuck of a Southeast Asia.

The river of lost footsteps is a good popular history overview. Being and Becoming Kachin and the art of not being governed are more dense looks at the the north

Myanmar is going to be just another third-world shithole which people know about only because a genocide took place there, like Rwanda.

t. Abdullah

>Wa State
There was an interesting Reuters article last year that detailed how the Wa State was making a lot of money from mining tin and exporting it to China.

>Myanmar is going to be just another third-world shithole
IT IS a third world shithole.

Its the Pariah of the ASEAN

Are you one of those people who think that the ethnic conflict in Myanmar has anything to do with religion?

With race. Based Asians are removing the poo.

There's no way it's worse off than Laos, Cambodia, the Philippines or basically anywhere in SEAmonkeystan that's outside of a big city.

>Nosegle

Wow this is even gayer then soyboy.

Burma literally has an empty capital because it decided to shift it suddenly for no reason.
They commit ethnic cleanings, massacres and rapes of it's minorities, basically genocidal, no economy to speak of at all that is worthy of note.
No tourism

>no tourism
That's not a bad thing lest it become Cambodia where all they've got are land mines and white college kids looking to do drugs.

Oh right and all of the western pedophiles.

Rwanda genocide involved killing of nearly a million people in the span of few months. People were literally killed left and right by their neighbors with machettes and raped.

The death toll at Rohingya is at ~6700, that's coming from the Muslim community's account. Chances are most of it is due to the forced migration, aka ethnic cleansing. A smaller percentage is probably due to direct assault/fighting/murder.

What's taking place in Myanmar is not a genocide as the Muslims/sympathizers claim, its an ethnic cleansing, via forced migration.

If you continue to misuse the words, your own credibility tanks as a result.

He never said anything about a genocide. Tah twas the initial user and Burma is basically straight up just a teensy bit off from going full blown genocide if the government pushes. IT already has the mass ethnic cleanings, denial of crime/existence of persecuted minorities, killing of minorities and rape of said minorities.

The government basically is all about Bamar supremacy.

Wrong reply as suspected it was meant for But I'll challenge you on the other fronts.

The government has largely been taking a hands off approach. Its one faction of military that's leading this cleansing. Even so, its not the Bamar pushing the Rohingya, its actually the native Arakan Buddhists that's trying to push these Rohingya(Bengalis as they call it) out.

Arakan were made a minority in their own home area. These Rohingyas committed an ACTUAL genocide against Arakan buddhist right near the end of WW2. A good chunk of Arakan Buddhists were genocided by Rohingya, that's when Rohingya were the majority in the region.

What's happening now with Myanmar Buddhist population and their reaction to this expulsion/purge/cleansing is seen as "karma" or "they had it coming" sort of thing.

Here's a fun scenario to imagine. Imagine if a bunch of liberals from California went to Texas to find work. These liberals then tried to take over Texas and killed a bunch of conservatives, lets say 50,000. These liberals don't call themselves Texans, but rather as "liberal crusaders of California". They then asked California to assist in takeover, but California refused. Then other Texans fought back and pushed these liberals. After decades of STILL declaring jihad on Texas, finally they were pushed back to California. Is this pretty close to genocide or fairly close to one?

In my opinion, these are soft but firm responses. It doesn't involve mass killings, it doesn't involve mass murder, just a fair push back. The occasional murders/rapes are probably minor opportunistic players in this game but are still fairly minor in comparison to actual genocides that have taken place.

Wasn't there a user who did a greentext History of Burma a while ago?

A lot of it does. Look up meikthila riots if 2012.

wew that is clusterfuck. we need to beg China to take their clay and then import millions upon millions of chinese.

I'm quite interested in the burma campaign during ww2 it was probably one of the most interesting thearters during the war.

The monsoons mad fighting very difficult and malaria was a huge problem for the troops on both sides of the conflict.

My grandfather actually fought there for 4 years and had a terrible time fighting in the jungle as part of the forgotten army.

>these are soft but firm responses.

Families are living in fear and pograms are being carried out.

Yea but they have to go back.

Myanmar military will build a wall.

>The government has largely been taking a hands off approach. Its one faction of military that's leading this cleansing.

it's the entire military. that's how militaries work.

The tatmadaw also seems to be preparing for a final assault on KIO towns, which will happen in the next few years.

Educate yourself.

The General leading the cleansing operation is Maung Maung Soe. He's the one that lead this cleansing after the ARSA attacked killed and destroyed nearly 500 people, police posts, buddhist temples, etc. He's been transferred out of the region a month or so ago.

it's all china's fault

Also the Rohingya don't belong there, the seperatist fighters are backed by Islamists (either al-Qaeda or ISIS I forget which) and are trying to get annexed into Bangladesh. They're only there because a traitorous king decided to use them as his own personal army and then because the Brits wanted someone to fight the Japs in WWII (the Rohingya, of course, instead decided to try and genocide the Buddhists). Not to mention the ongoing violence against Buddhist priests, the raping/taking/forced conversion of Buddhist women, etc.

The Rohingya do not belong there but in Bangladesh and Myanmar and the Buddhists are doing nothing at all wrong.

Vietnam is pretty neat honestly. Poor, but they aren't starving, and it's just a neato place all-round.

So? They are muslims. The world is living in fear of those filthy fucks.

Cry me a river

I can't wrap my head around how ignorant this post is. Your response to news of people living in fear is to say it doesn't matter because other people live in fear of them. I mean it's just so wrong on so many levels.

as someone who lived in yangon for 3 months and has visited most of SEA trust me, the phillipines is heaven compared to myanmar.

la creatura..

I'm Swedish and after having to live with muslims and watch what they do to my country I can say that I have zero sympathy with them. If I saw a muslim on fire I wouldn't spend the piss required to put it out.

t. I don't live in Southeast Asia

Laos and Cambodia sure are poorer than Burma but they aren't wracked by civil war.

The Philippines however, is...with a single ethnic group. Actually, no, with the rebels who claim to fight for that single ethnic group. Meanwhile Burma is engaged in conflict versus a LOT of its minorities. In addition the Philippines outstrips Burmese economy by not scaring every investor or losing a province to some rebel state. Also from Thailand, I do know a lot of Philippine products- beer usually- while Burma is basically our fucking Mexico.

Burma isn't a Pariah of the ASEAN because of Genocide. It's literally because those cunts do not fucking participate due to its internal squabbling.

You sound psychotic and if you truly believe that individuals represent the larger social groups they are a part of, then you are representing Swedish people as ignorant nutjobs

As someone who has lived in Myanmar for 8 years, and has Muslim friends there and have Buddhist and Christian friends who have Muslim friends, I find the ignorance of westerners ITT towards the issue disturbing.

Go back to räddit if you're looking for le tolerance and compassion

el horror de profundo walmarto..

I don't speak beaner, Amerimutt.

Brainlet

You sound like one of the enabling bleeding heart faggots that got us into this mess, and refuse to take us out of it.

Muslims as a group, and the ethnicities that most muslims are part of, are of low IQ and high impulsiveness. In other word: They are stupid and violent. They NEVER assimilate into the society, they NEVER contribute more than they take, and they bring so much crime of the vilest kind that you enablers, who think that you are oh so good, are in reality as bad as someone hiring a hitman. You have blood on your hands as well you blind idiots.

>"has muslims friends"

OPINION DISCARDED

extend to us your mystic wisdom oh great one

il profano..

You are talking such rubbish dude. It was a muslim who made Aung San Suu Kyi state counsellor, he was a lawyer a the highest levels of the NLD. so fuck off with your "they don't become part of society" shit.

Burma is literally worse than Laos, Cambodia, and the Philippines.

You can travel a lot in those countries. You're pretty much toast the moment you set foot out of Yangon.

I remember an user actually traveled there and saw people getting killed. Ruined the entire trip and got some trauma

>Here's a fun scenario to imagine. Imagine if a bunch of liberals from California went to Texas to find work.

Rohingyans aren't even Bangladeshi. They had origins way before that sweat shop tractors nation ever was conjured.

99% of Rohingya are from Bangladeshi. Their muslim population EXPLODED right around the turn of the 20th century due to the British labor imports. Going from few hundreds to nearly a million workers going throughout ONE of the Myanmar ports a year. That's more people going in and out than the US at its time.

There's loads of places outside of Yangon tourists go. Why are you just making shit up?

Wow, your cherry-picked singular example sure makes up for the fact that the muslims create extremely disproportionate problems wherever they decide to settle (see: Every western country with a muslim presence, every asian country with a muslim presence, every muslim country). Wherever they go sexual crime, violent crime and terrorism follows.

>few hundreds

They weren't just a few hundreds