Is Erwin Rommel the most overrated general of our time?

Is Erwin Rommel the most overrated general of our time?

>beat the allies out of Cyrenaeca like hella fast bro!
>oh except they were already on the retreat when he got there lmao

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.axishistory.com//viewtopic.php?t=113911
ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-EF-Decision/index.html
ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-EF-Defeat/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i don't really figure him as "our time" but he is overrated as shit even though there is a lot to admire

Patton can give him a run for his money

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Are Logistics Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Keep Driving Like Nigga Ignore Your Quartermaster Haha

Most of the "famous" WW2 generals are overrated as fuck

but why were there no gas stations in the desert? like isnt that where oil comes from? why wouldnt they just dig holes until they hit a gusher?

That isn't how oil prospecting works

Manstein? Guderian?

Model was more successful than both and rarely gets mentioned by the normiecore. It's not unique to Germany either, no one talks about Slim or Wingate and instead just talk up Monty for beating le desert fox

He was pretty good as a commander in the first world war, with an emphasis on avoidng frontal attacks and using machine guns and rapid fire to hold the enemy in place.

You're not entirely wrong.

>tfw no one knows about Hermann Balck

Tell me how Model was more successful than either Manstein or Guderian.

>people like Monty
I have never heard this in my life. Only comments I ever heard regarding Monty were occasional mentions of incompetence and suggestions that he was a connoisseur of Indian boys.

Pretty sure the Libyan oil fields started up in the 50's. People thought it might be there, but nobody had found an oil field and set up shop yet.

Model was a very good Defensive oriented tactician, but could never a properly manage an offensive, which was why he was held back to defensive oerations as Hitler's fireman of sorts.

Manstein was a virtual machine until he was sacked for Hitler's failure to pay heed to his reluctance for a 1943 summer offensive.

Model was a better defender

>this general is good at defending and this one is good at attacking
>dude life is a video game lmao

Balck was the boss. A dream team would be him serving under Hasso von Manteuffel

It's literally right there in the fucking history books.I like Model, so get the fuck off my dick.

I'm not that guy

Also, j guess I missed the part where it said '+25% defense stat' or whatever

Probably because Balck spent most of the war as a divisional commander and there are literally hundreds of other divisional commanders.

because he fucking is
he was in charge of rzhev,he attacked the north salient but secretly prepared defenses and he was all around the eastern front including bagration,normandy and onto germany until he an hero

not totally OT but since this thread is active and you guys seem like you'd know: can I get a book recommend on a primer for the eastern front? I know almost literally nothing about it

Prepare to enjoy yourself, my friend:
forum.axishistory.com//viewtopic.php?t=113911

Maybe try Earl F. Ziemke's two-volume work "Moscow To Stalingrad: Decision In The East" & "Stalingrad to Berlin: The German Defeat in the East". It might be a bit out of date (1987), but it's comprehensive, well-written, and free:
ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-EF-Decision/index.html
ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-EF-Defeat/index.html

I don't think he intended to make it to Suez on supplies from Tripoli alone

As far as his task being only to defend tripoli, I don't think he did something many other generals wouldn't have done when he saw a clear opportunity to attack. with numerical and logistical inferiority he almost ran the Brits out of North Africa.

Oil wells only being useful for the Africa Korps is speculation, but they would have been oil wells the Brits no longer had

You're fucking retarded

Sick argument

You might actually be serious.

Have you considered that people might be better at some things and worse at others? Chess players who work better with different pieces? My God.

your a dorable

Thanks brother!

Lee

Macarthur HAS to be up there. Probably 90% of his fame is a well shot movie of him wading out of a beach and hurr durr "I shall return."

>beat off north gorean kooks w
>get dangerously close to infringing a country's border
>"hey man dont cross that yalu river mean youre like questioning our sovereignity"
>"lol whatever i have to take out these commis regardless of what you think"
>gets pushed back and narrowly avoid annihilation
>"omfg these assholes attacked us we should nuke them for doing it"

>like isnt that where oil comes from? why wouldnt they just dig holes until they hit a gusher?

>Becomes despondent and constantly tells the UN and America how hopeless it all is
>Get's replaced with Ridgeway
>They're on the offensive again within 6 months

Not to mention ordering his men to fight to the last man, even as he's racing to the airfield where a plane is waiting solely to whisk him to safety.

He was certainly good at making unarmed unemployed people run in fear from tanks though

Didn't slim recently get voted best british General of all time or something like that?