>Trying to make OHP gains

Is there anything more difficult?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

making a good thread

Micro plates.

inb4 getting a gf

seriously I found OHP isn't that bad as long as you're doing the proper accessories. if you're not a poor fag investing in fractional weights isn't a bad idea either, no matter what these autistic mongols here will claim.

Finally, OHP more.

This this this this this

Lifting ure mum

Cheaper alternative to microplates are ankle / wrist weights.

Also proper form. Elbows down - its not a front squat. Back of arms at late.Narrow grip - webbing between thumb and index finger on edge of knurling

/thread

youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

this helped me

...lats not late.

Bench press. But apparently that's just me.

>didn't OHP for 3 weeks
>only focused on bench
>at end of 3 weeks bench made no improvement
>decided to OHP just cause I hand tone it in so long
>made new 3x5 PR by 10lbs

what the fuck

OHP for a month, then dumbbell shoulder press, and alternate. This is the best way to progress.

Benchlets unite!

Some weeks I press 80 kg, then suddenly I struggle 70. WTF

I find OHP to be one of the most enjoyable lifts and I've never struggled making progress in it.

I guess I don't just get the meme.

I thought it was a form issue for me but even after I straightened that out I still make gains slower at it than OHP.

Since I'm not retarded I was already doing all of these

I had a powerlifter look at my squat and dead. Helped. Ill probably just do the same for bench and that will fix it.

Currently trying to cut some flab. Even within the first week my bench took a hit. 3DMJ says it is common that the press strength goes first. But still. So fast.

What a badass you are! Cant believe you were born with this knowledge

a deadlift squat overhead press

To really start making gains on OHP you need to learn bracing. OHP was what really made me learn how to brace and once you learn that you will make gains on all of your other lifts.
To make it really short: with proper form (forearms perpendicular to the bar), contract your abs, flex your glutes and quads, take a deep breath and push the bar. when you lower the bar, reset, take a deep breath and flex everything again and then push.
Make sure you are taking a "gut breath" or a breath into your diaphragm and not your chest. hold the breath until the top of your lift.
The OHP is NOT a push press, but that doesn't mean you can't use your legs, ass, and abs to brace and stabilize your body, giving your shoulders something stable to press against.

I'm reaching a point where my deadlift is hard to increase due to grip issues.

I found that when I started having trouble with my grip that doing lighter sets of deadlifts and holding the bar for a few seconds on lockout made a world of difference.

This is good advice

Next week ill try doing that and see if I get any improvement.

I feel like squatting gives me plenty of lower body strength to pull through my deadlift but nothing else I do helps my grip.

Illusions of gains

Tfw your ohp is almost equivalent to your front squat. Its refusing to go up. Feels bad bros.

>flat bb bench is chest exercise

I'd feel worse about my front squat

Clean your press non-caucasian

When I got to that point I started doing hook grip, lowered the weight and worked back up with hook grip, no more problems with grip.

I do finger curls and I think it's helping me with diddy grip. But st least there's no jar on earth I can't open

Holy....... I want more

Does it give you huge forearms too?

It seems to pump a few chunks on my forearms but I think the wrist curls are what's giving me inches there.

Very well explained, user. Thank you.

Push press

This, bracing the rest of the body is very important. I actually OHP with my legs together as I find it easier to tense the legs and core that way.

What pisses me off about OHP is how much difference a small amount of weight makes
>12 reps at 50kg
>struggle to do 1 60kg rep
Ah yes

same with me. Took a week off from lifting. Came back hit 5x5 PR

>webbed thumbs
did you not evolve?

But what will help me make that kinda dog gains?

I have this with weighted pullups

my ohp was just under a plate for a while now i rep 1 pl8 for 3. i suggest pressnig overhead 3 times a week. variety is your friend. heavy dumbbell presses and barbell push presses got my barbell ohp way up

god, i hate that fucking video.
it gets posted so often.
he mentions "rules" that aren't really rules.

forearms don't need to be vertical.
generally, as long as the wrists aren't infront of the elbows, it's fine.

he also shows that humerus straight forward is external rotation, while keeping the humerus lateral is internal rotation, which isn't true either.

then he talks about wrist positioning, and claims that you must have the weight inline with your forearms.
nope, not true. there are plenty of really good overhead pressers who don't do this.
it doesn't matter.

then he says how flaring the elbows is "bad stuff".
nope, flaring the elbows during the press is natural and trying to do it without that is actually really hard to even do.

at the end of the video, he shows how he presses, and it's pretty good.
but he has his shoulders too much externally rotated at the top, which isn't the most stable position for the shoulders.

i only did flat db chest presses and some incline work, and lateral raises for ~6 months (have a fucked left shoulder, avoided ohp)

decided to do ohp just to see if i could hit 1plate

repped 1plate ohp 3x10,8,4 after a couple of warm up sets with just the bar

im not even kidding

incline hits the front delts about as hard as ohp.
lateral raises hit the lateral delts harder than ohp.

no reason to believe you're kidding.

yeah but fucked shoulder + no direct barbell work (all bench pressing was done with dumbbells) made me think my ohp would be shit

make your own video, faggot.

Dumbells presses hit the front delts even harder than barbell presses.
If you can do incline work and lateral raises, your shoulder can't be that fucked, haha.

nice "rebuttal"

Is PB a bad source of protein? I heard it synthesizes a lot worse than other sources of protein and im wondering how big od a difference it could really make

Man this app is shit tried to post in another thread

twice as much fat, and the protein is only half as bio-available as whey.

>le fat is bad meme

clean and press then

reading comprehension please

I've got a body weight press(165@165) and i honestly dont get whats so confusing

slam shoulder with volume. then more. do some more volume. then more. ect.

stop being afraid of volume.

Nice cross meme, friendo

this. first for 5 x 5 sec, next time 5 x 10 sec, then 15, then 20, 25 ... goodbye poor grip strength

Opposite for me. I put it just a bit wider than my normal standing stance. Any closer and I feel like I might fall over

Change grip man. Hook grip or mixed grip. Straps ain't bad too if you wanna spend money. Don't forget chalk. No reason to let your grip hold back your diddys.

just hit strict press 2x100kg this week. for me, incline bench helped a lot with ohp, but learning the proper technique was the game changing factor

Weighted dips help a lot

Also, don't neglect abs

phuck off, alex, fix your shitty shoulders first

>50kg to 60kg
m8 that's a 20% increase, that makes perfect sense.

in his defense, 50kg is for 12 reps. 60kg is more than his 1RM. Normally, 12 reps work is at highest intensity %75 of 1RM, and that's being generous.

I wonder if he keeps proper form, though maybe he should actually work in lower rep ranges more. Higher rep ranges DO increase strength and 1RM potential, but their actual benefit is increased endurance and work capacity to be able to train better at lower rep ranges.

#4 - Widen your stance a little.

At least that helps me.

Especially try that if you feel like you're pinching your lumbar.

External rotation of the legs + flexing glutes makes it almost impossible for your lower back to move out of place.

In addition to the things you said, the thing I found that helped my OHP and Bench was to do shit faster.

From the moment you unrack that weight you're leaking power and energy for your reps. Every second that you hold the bar in the lockout position while you get a new breath costs energy.

Even if I unrack the bar then take a second to look down at my feet to make sure they're lined up it makes me miss a rep. You need that "umph" that comes from unracking the bar and immediately pressing. Now I don't even look down once I unrack it.

It feels like I unrack it about a cm above shoulder height and then lean back and let it dip a little before my first rep to create a stretch reflex (similar to Rippetoe's method) but I'm probably splitting hairs here.

Depends.
You have to sacrifice either your bench press gains or your OHP gains.

Eat. Eat more.

Yeah, I think micro plates (as long as they're not expensive) are a fantastic idea. People underestimate how much an extra 2.5 every time is. It can make a massive difference in the long term using micro plates.

Not that you should expect anyone on fit to see past the first 3 months of their lifting career.