/statues/

why didn't the byzantines ever build statues of their emperors?
as far as i know they only made mosaics
>you would've thought they would've done so since it was a semi tradition of their predecessors

Statues are for plebs. Mosaics are the patrician choice.

They were iconoclastic but they allow mosaics

wasn't the war won by the pro iconoclasts?

They did make statues, they're attested in old literature and some illustrations. Most of them were destroyed during the Iconoclasms, and in 1204 and 1453.

You have to remember that we only have a tiny percentage of art that the Romans produced, and the percentage of Byzantine art we have is even tinier than that.

> allow mosaics

You can be iconoclastic or "iconolover" in different grades :D

They didn´t allow sculptures by examples. I say this from memory

On the flipside, it's quite easy to find ivory figures the Byzantines made because they're easier to transport and hide than statues and busts

Awsome! I have never seen byzantine sculpture.

Very curious! This is a mixt from roman period between Tajano column and Marco Aurelius over a horse

That's pure bullshit.

i actually meant statues like this or the prima porta of augustus
but ok

Iconoclastic hated sculpture over the rest of representation.

You can be totally iconoclastic as muslims art and you can have some sculptures like Lion´s fountain in Alhambra.

Iconoclastic movements were strong in Orthodox Church but not in Catholic.

1. idolatry is haram
2. They were replaced by Ivory masterpieces and colourful mosaics/icons

You do realise 70% of Roman and Byzantine art is gone due to invasions, sackings, plundering and just destruction in general?
Byzantines also had a strong iconoclasm that destroyed shit tons of statues and memorial because "Muh God n'shiet" so one thing byzantines had to rely on was Mosaics.

Statues? What are you, user, like 700 years old?

How many elephants were harmed while making this thing?

It's not like it was a gorillion niggers decimating the population senseless like they do now.

Iconoclasm ended in defeat. It was a movement that only spanned 2 centuries.

Idolatry is HARAM

Dude, how old are you?

They did, but the Muslins...