In France we've always been told that it was the wealth and abundance of the Greek settlements in the south of France...

In France we've always been told that it was the wealth and abundance of the Greek settlements in the south of France that basically funded the classical world's flourishing and that without it Western civilisation would not have grown.

How true is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeks_in_pre-Roman_Gaul
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

0%

>the french see themselves as the most important and culturally superior people in the world
>nothing new to see here

Western Mediterranean Greek settlements or colonies were very secondary in mainly culture of these times, focused in Egeo sea and maybe places called Magna Greece (Syracusa and south Italy)

>abundance of the Greek settlements in the south of France
I KNOW that there were colonies but which scholars came from that region? When I think of Greek nodes of learning I think of Athens, Alexandria, and Syracuse. I literally can't recall the names of the settlements in Gaul nor any notable citizens from there.

Horrible post

syria cooze xD

Hm thought that for once we could have an interesting respectable discussion on Veeky Forums with points and counterpoints. Why do I ever bother?

He just tried practising english. Yoda speaks likely and many people loves him

As a french I never heard something like this. Are sure your teacher isn't a moron ?

How is this interesting? It's completely wrong.

Hey OP

This is something you won't learn from the underage gamer greentext-historians of Veeky Forums

The Greeks settled alot in southern Gaul and founded the only large city and the largest city in the region for centuries; Massalia.

So yes, Greeks were present heavily in southern France. But the rest of that is wrong, civilization in France/Gaul was spread/introduced by Romans, not Greeks. And took a plunge in the dark ages. At that point Greek history was long lost and the Greek demographic in southern france was largely removed and had no influence whatsoever. So no, your education is retarded.

Great job in making a fool out of you

I know that Massalia/Marseille was locally a fairly important Greek colony in the region, but I seriously doubt that Southern France, out of all the places where Greek colonies were established, somehow played the most important part (economically or otherwise) in the rise of Ancient Greek culture.

Colonies were for two thing mainly:

-Expulse overpopullation.
-Get resources.

Even some of this colonies were really called "emporium" what means port. They were not very populated and hadnĀ“t cultural influence.

The biggest impact was in lands were colonies were established due to endemic people settled around colonies imitated their "way of life" and they get helenizated

this desu

I would point out that when the Romans conquered Gaul in the 1st c., the locals were already writing in the Greek alphabet and clearly their Druids' philosophy was heavily influenced by the Hellenes. So, two pre-Roman signs of Greek influence throughout the area that constitutes modern France (and indeed England). My source, just off the top of my head, is Caesar's Gallic Wars.

what greek influence was there in england?

>Sicily is South of France now
LMAO

>Not knowing that the Greeks colonized the extreme south of France and founded what would ultimately become Marseilles.
Brainlet detected.

I know that shit, moron, but Sicily was what most closely took the role of what OP described Southern France to be

perhaps the claim you remember was that massalia was used as a port where tin arrived from britain, though gaul

although it's unlikely
read more
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeks_in_pre-Roman_Gaul

Reddit intellectuals everyone