England vs France

The ultimate historical rivalry. No two nations have ever had such a great feud as these two historic superpowers. In the red corner we have the great Island nation itself, home of King Arthur, the Industrial revolution and Charles Dickens
And in the blue corner we have the uncontested continental power home to Charlemagne, Napoleon and St. Jeanne d'arc.

These two countries go head to head in the battle of historical relevance, winning wars and cultural influence. Who will win?
Discussion points:
-Hundred year's war (of course)
-Literature
-Inventiveness and science
-Seven years war
-Normans
-Angevins
-Colonial empires
-Henry VIII and Francis I
-Napoleonic wars
-Architecture
-Language
-And more

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/his/thread/3871843/
desuarchive.org/his/thread/3901723/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_Britannica
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just another picture of the rivalry

Well the Brits had the largest empire ever and performed well in both world wars. Also kicked the French's ass at Agincourt.

The French have the best W/L record in Europe and while they did admirably in WW1, WW2 let them down massively. Also Napoleon was a GOAT commander.

Tough call really.

France won the hundred years war, but lost the seven years war. It's arguable that England ruled France and vice versa with the Angevin empire (not sure about it, the kings were mainly French, but England was their main territory it's like saying that Germany rules England because of Hanover)

Louis pasteur vs Edward Jenner
Industrial revolution vs French revolution

Bump

Bump AGAIN

England most certainly wins in Science and Technology. The UK has contributed immeasurably to medicines and sciences. It's utterly ridiculous. (Not that France hasn't made a lot of advancements)

France wins in terms of literature and philosophy (Not that England hasn't written good stuff)

In terms of military, France wins in land warfare I'd say, solely for the legacy left by the Napoleonic Wars. Whereas England wins in Navy and Air Force.

England and France have easily contributed the most of any 2 nations to earth, with Germany being the close third. Had the Franco-British Union happened, the world would be a better place.

> It's arguable that England ruled France and vice versa with the Angevin empire

It's important not to apply the modern concept we have of a nation or nationality to anything before, well, around 1600. One didn't 'rule' the other, the various nobles shared a King.

I agree with the science and military bit, but literature? Really? Geoffery Chaucer, Thomas Malory, William Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Alfred Tennyson, Charles Dickens, C.S Lewis, J.R.R Tolkien, JK Rowling

>England most certainly wins in Science and Technology.
More like Scotland. England hasn't done shit.

>Who is Isaac Newton?

How can one man be so fucking retarded?

A literal who.

gr8 b8 m8

Hi Muhammad

>Amerimutt literally going "w-whiter than you muhammad"

its already has been decided, the english lost to the French in the 100 year war so the French are the winners,

you can also tell the French are the winners because they usually are very cool about the subject and don't spend munch time thinking of the english while the english won't stop bad mouthing the French at any turn because they're still but hurt over their defeat

>home of King Arthur
Who hated this land, dind't stay 5 years there, and didn't bother to learn the language.

Stay cucked, faggots.

I'm Lithuanian. Literally whiter than any Anglo that ever lived.

>More like Scotland
lmao you mean those anglo-saxons from the scottish lowlands who developed their inventions and theories in post-union britain?
get back to yer hovel, teuchter cunt

Leibnitz (French ancestry) was better.

>Angles, saxons, they all end up English
This is bloody retarded

France is good on land, not solely for Napoleon.
We just don't sell ourselves very well. For instance, you know Agincourt, not Patay. England is better at sea (though we had great skirmishers, just not on the same scale). Finally, air force is just ignorance by you. I'm assuming you say that because of WWII (?), but then France didn't had the chance to really use its airforce. However if you like planes, you should look at the D520 plane. You'll appreciate the 2.5 k/d ratio while taking a third the construction time to that of a Spit (which was a nice plane. just long to build).
>why didn't the French win the air then, if they had such a good plane?
Luftwaffe lost 1059 planes during BoF, 1052 during BoB. And France had only 18 D520 in May (~600 in June :((( )

>And remember kids, at "spot the English", always count the teeths.

>England wins in Science and Technology
laughingPasteur.jpg

Vodka niggers are not whites. They're honorary niggers.

Surely you're confusing him with King Richard.

I completely am.

French surely beat the sasanaigh in music

French some of the history's greatest and most influential composers as well having good traditional music

england: the least musical country in Europe with nothing but a few degenerate punk bands

Nah, check Denmark-Sweden for true 1000 years of rivalry

800*, and 0 relevance (not just in this post, btw).

also French are far better at sport and beat the sasanaigh each time at soccer

also French by far beat the english at cuisine

You what mate.

also French by far beat the english at architecture

also French by far beat the english at art and painting

But much worse at importing rare potatoes.

Savage.

also the French by far beat the english at fashion

That's not Rome/Byzantines vs Parthia/Sassanids/Persia and ironic end of their rivalry by getting btfo by mudslimes which gives this story some sort of moral

also the French surely beat the sasanaigh at teeth

also the French surely beat the sasanaigh at literature and philosophy

also the French surely beat the sasanaigh at good looks and good manners

and finally the French surely beat the sasanigh at the hundred year war, so the competition is already over, the French won and the sasanaigh lost

>Denmark vs. Sweden
>Finland vs. Korea
>Germans vs. civilization

also the French surely beat the english in insecurity

Its really the other way around, the French are always very chill and cool and treat the sasanaigh with pity, but the english will take any chance to bad mouth the French because they're still but hurt from loosing the hundred year war

horseshit

>home to Charlemagne
WE

>France won the hundred years war
stop being a brainlet. it's like saying US lost the vietnam war. England thrashed France for most of the war and held territory in France whereas France never held England.
French wouldn't dare to badmouth their Anglo overlords. Compare their subpar empire to the glorious british empire. England is literally the birthplace of the industrial revolution. the majority of the greatest inventions are English, France can't hold a candle to the accomplishments of England, they're literally pansies whose only argument is "b-but we have better food"

kek'd at Germany. but seriously, France and England are the only relevant rivalry

guffawingJenner.gif

You remember that during the hundered war France is being hit by black plague bad recolt civil war religious war ( we started that won but still ) . I think that our rivalry truly shape the world

*one

At the end of the day, british monarchy still have norman arms in its own, as their moto is in french.

And?

France has no english legacy today in its official symbols. They may held some of our territory for hundred years, but anglos are proud french since 1066.

You understand the majority of european Monarchies were foreign?

The Bernadottes were French
The Habsburgs were German
The Hannovers were German
The Bourbons were French
The Romanovs were German
The Saxe-Coburgs were German

NEWSFLASH: MOST EUROPEAN DYNASTIES AREN'T NATIVE TO THEIR COUNTRY. IT IS CALLED INTERNATIONAL DIPLOMACY

Why are you even on a history board?

The english Monarchy hasn't spoken French since the 1400's.

Maybe, but France never knew another monarchy than a french one, and that is remarkable.

>The english Monarchy hasn't spoken French since the 1400's.
Which is why Elizabeth II is (almost) fluent.

Our monarchy was the mother of europe but we never truly recover when it end

>Maybe, but France never knew another monarchy than a french one, and that is remarkable.

Why? Because they managed to have children?

Also, nationalism didn't exist until the 1700's, you retard.

You're a nationalistic retard who has no understanding of history beyond epic /pol/ memes.

Besides, France DID have a foreign ruler at a point I think you know well.

>Which is why Elizabeth II is (almost) fluent.
Ok. So? Did she learn French as her first language?

>Also, nationalism didn't exist until the 1700's, you retard.
Isn't it suppose to be the subject of this topic? An an anachronistically comparison of France and Britain?

>Besides, France DID have a foreign ruler at a point I think you know well.
Yes, and we will NOT thank you for that cowards. Yet we managed to maintain a government in place.

>Ok. So? Did she learn French as her first language?
Do I care?

France did have a foreign ruler ? Who?

>Isn't it suppose to be the subject of this topic? An an anachronistically comparison of France and Britain?

No, but acting as if it's some kind of achievement your inbred monarchs had more kids through nationalistic wankery is contradictory to the nature of politics at the time.

>Yes, and we will NOT thank you for that cowards. Yet we managed to maintain a government in place.

A Government actively participating in the Holocaust too! Bravo!

>Do I care?
Why'd you bring it up then, lmao. You basically just told me another talent of our monarchy.

Germany during WWII, which actually rulled half of France and didn't actually dismiss the French government.

>A Government actively participating in the Holocaust too! Bravo!
Who didn't send a single french jew. I'm not apologizing what they did, but try to understand regarding the circumstances.

>Why'd you bring it up then, lmao. You basically just told me another talent of our monarchy.
Just because you said your Monarchy didn't speak french since the 1400's. I was just showing you you're wrong.

Lol , like i said we never truly recover from the end of the monarchy the constant instability and void destroy our power during the 19s that and the left

*cough* case anton

>Who didn't send a single french jew. I'm not apologizing what they did, but try to understand regarding the circumstances.

Fair enough. But it isn't as if they weren't collaborators.

>Just because you said your Monarchy didn't speak french since the 1400's. I was just showing you you're wrong.

As a first language, you utter mug.

>Fair enough. But it isn't as if they weren't collaborators.
On the other hand, to be honest, it seems that germans didn't actually excpect him to send jews (even non french) from the territory he controlled, so it's ambiguous.

>As a first language, you utter mug.
English is between 30 and 60% french, so it's pretty the same.

At this moment there was a lot of anti semitic in France so...

>English is between 30 and 60% french, so it's pretty the same.

Ok? Cool.

Yes. Cheers for the beneficial monarchs, we don't need you chaps anymore. Oh and you're welcome for pretty much all your technology

British monarchy is German now anyway, all the French has been basically bred out

Why are English monarchs never English? Can the Anglo not trust another Anglo to rule?

>create new thread
>post picture of joan of arc
>"glorified cheerleader"
>18,562 replies

Remember that she is a Saint first and French second

So I take it that someone in this thread would be willing to make screencaps of HYW user's Christmas gift?
desuarchive.org/his/thread/3871843/
desuarchive.org/his/thread/3901723/

I want your fertile frankish semen in my anglo boipussy

Was the Angevin empire french?

Damn, it didn't reach the best part in 1415 25th October st Crispin's day

"Once more unto the breach dear friends! Once more! Or close the wall up with our English dead!"

HYW has four phases user, only two of which are to the advantage of England.
Now France did held England pretty firmly. That's why the HYW started in the first place, you pathetic moron. Had France not invaded England in 1326 (or 1066 for that matter), it could have been different.

The glorious british empire goes down to half the world colored in red. That's impressive. That would be even more impressive if it was more than a 5 years old coloring the map from his London office, and if the Brits had actually explored half the shit they claimed (like Canada and Australia). But even if they had, it's only niggers and inhabited land.
Indeed, England is the only of the big 5 (France Germany Italy Spain UK) that never managed to conquer Europe. And it's always been France that was there to push the trash back where it belongs: overseas.

>Also, nationalism didn't exist until the 1700's, you retard.

Yet in 1400's, French people decided to unit to kick the English arses.

Insignificant little barbarian wannabes ... when the craddles of civilization talk be silent

>arse
You are a traitor to your country

England has successfully invaded and controlled part of Europe before. For most of the HYW they controlled chunks of France. Also the British empire made Britain the most powerful country in the world so it was hardly unimpressive. With an unchallenged navy it could coerce any continental. They chose not to invade Europe due to Splendid isolation though. Also English kings from 1150 onwards ruled parts of France "b-but they wuz french" and so are many English thanks to Norman breeding.

>England is the only of the big 5 (France Germany Italy Spain UK) that never managed to conquer Europe
Well gee sorry for being an Island with a population that was, for a long time, like half the populations of all those countries.

Surely the other European powers would hide behind numbers as well.

>Implying other countries put that many soldiers into quelling a revolution in another country.
Also Agincourt

But no, during HYW, England was a fucking colony. Of course they'd still have a foot in France. Stop trying to overwrite history, you filthy anglo.

>the most powerful country in the world
what's the metric?

>They chose not to invade Europe due to Splendid isolation though.
Silly me, I though it was not to humiliate all other European powers.

>Also English kings from 1150 onwards ruled parts of France
you got it all inverted, again :(

Also Patay.

Gordon Bennett! An ignoramus. Kings of France didn't rule parts of England because kings of France fought against Kings of England to reclaim French territory. Philip ii of France fought richard the lionheart.

And in 1337 what do you mean England was a French colony?! The whole point of the war was France trying to expel England and English claims to the throne.
>what's the metric?
Economy, navy, colonial empire, influence, technology

Also good to see you making an effort to learn my language froggie

Does your mother know that you're such a disappointment? That's a /pol/tier debate you're bringing on.

>Economy, navy, colonial empire, influence, technology
While Britain had its importance economically, and technologically, I wouldnt call it the king of the hill. Influence is just consequence of the rest.

Not an argument
Also:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_Britannica

As your mother isn't either, learning English is not precisely a challenge. But speaking it has the added benefit of letting the conversation continue when her mouth is full.

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_Britannica
God that's a disgrace. I though only G*rms were busy sucking their own cock like that. First of all, European powers were not at peace. They were trying to expand elsewhere for 50 years, which is different. And this expansion has nothing to do with Britain. Also Prussia did start a few wars in Europe. You were just not invited.

Didn’t some French guy from a small province in France manage to conquer England?

Didn't some viking in a small province of Norway manage to conquer France. The Normans did it both ways pal.

>this expansion has nothing to do with Britain
'Really'?

Ah yes, who could forget the Viking invasion and complete take over of France. Dark times.

Where did the Normans come from?