mshistorynow.mdah.state.ms.us/articles/291/cotton-and-the-civil-war
youtube.com/watch?v=ZDhuhLMpZ3I
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden,_Arkansas
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_life_expectancy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_educational_attainment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP_per_capita
users.soc.umn.edu/~samaha/cases/cohn_delta.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because historically those were the best areas for plantation crops to be grown, not just in terms of soil and climate but in terms of closeness to water and commerce lines.

What happened to the white people there
Did they leave

Man... I gotta move to the coast.

They literally never lived there.

Both coasts are non-white. Your best bet are the inner mountain west states.

Slaves tended to outnumber slave owners dramatically, and that situation was made especially apparent along the banks of the Mississippi, where slave owners were generally more wealthy and could thus afford more slaves.

i live in the hamptons, there are like 3 minorities at most

Do you know why there are no cities on the river/the population is so low?

That is where they were slaves

bump

I don't even know where that is.

>there are no cities on the river
>what is New Orleans
>what is Memphis
>what is St. Louis

Long Island

>Do you know why there are no cities on the river/the population is so low?

As tobacco and the early cash crops diminished in importance in the early 19th century, cotton came to be a more affordable cash crop, and the best place to grow cotton was along the Mississippi river, which was a great place because that particular area didn't have many people in it, so when the slave owners arrived, they could easily set up shop. It was a very large forced migration of slaves from the East coast to the banks of the Mississippi river.
Can read more about it here for a /quickrundown/, with some good suggestions in the bibliography (anything by Ira Berlin is probably the best source, as he's one of the very important figures in the study of Afro-American history).

>Mississippi, the nation’s largest cotton-producing state, was economically and politically dependent on cotton, as was the entire South. Indeed, it was the South’s economic backbone. When the southern states seceded from the United States to form the Confederate States of America in 1861, they used cotton to provide revenue for its government, arms for its military, and the economic power for a diplomatic strategy for the fledgling Confederate nation.
mshistorynow.mdah.state.ms.us/articles/291/cotton-and-the-civil-war

is that why those areas are so black
and i was referring mostly to in mississippi
you see these black folk out here by the river and it's like
they got 12 kids but are living in a shitty rundown house 50 miles apart

thank u

Thanks senpai, don't know why I lost my source.

Do some people living in Mississippi not live in rundown areas?

It's practically second world

>Illinois and Michigan that high
I'd like to see where these guys are getting their figures.

Because the Mississippi River is actual the Nile River and where all actually in Africa.
STAY WOKE

>mississippi
>highest % of blacks
>lowest HDI
ha...

to pick the cotton

Mississippi river flows all the way from Minnesota

Biloxi area is pretty nice.

>California, New York, and New Jersey are high

I'm 80% sure they just make their figures up at this point.

It's one of the saddest areas in the US. So poor and rural. I went to high school close to that region (marked in the figure)

My school had an away football game in Chicot county in Arkansas, which the town and school was nearly all black. There was a shooting in the parking lot over rival high school gangs. Huckabee consolidated rural schools which resulted in rival schools being joined.

Really rural and poor. Literally nothing there but cotton fields. I hated the South so much and glad I left.

>Do you know why there are no cities on the river/the population is so low?
literally nothing but cotton fields. There is very little industry and the region has been economically deprived for decades, people leave those areas. The ones who stayed ... well stayed.

he's referring to that delta region, obviously there are cities on the mississippi. Chicot county in Arkansas has less than 12,000 people

>niggers being niggers
Epik story

>It's practically second world
The rural areas are practically third world. Many roads aside from main ones are dirt roads. People live in trailers. Some people still have an out house to shit in. It's crazy but people like living out in rural areas like that

I have a lot of questions
1. What was the makeup of your town. Was it white
2. Is it really sad? Or is it just a shithole
3. Do you miss Arkansas
4. Do the people there still pick cotton
5. Can I pick cotton there
6. How old are you

also look at this youtube.com/watch?v=ZDhuhLMpZ3I

Growing up in the deep South was a real redpill. But also rural whites are just as bad, just not as violent in my experience.

My mom is a MD who got her greencard working in impoverished areas like this. One of her patients did not want to work after graduating high school. She proceeded to gain enough weight to be put on Disability. At the age of 23 or something she died because she was so fat. There are so many rural poor whites that do nothing but collect disability and watch TV in their trailers. The whole area is lazy and ignorant. I fucking hated it.

>not as violent
This. Grew up in Eastern Kentucky, poor as fuck, no jobs, but almost no violent crime/murders.

>Can I pick cotton there
lmao'd at this

1. the town is majority black, my high school was not the main high school and was about 1/3 black en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden,_Arkansas
2. Sad because a lot of people are ignorant and lazy (see ), and sad because it's a shithole. I applied to college using dial up in 2008. There are good people both black and white obviously, and family and town connections are strong. But it wasn't for me. The bad outweighs the good in my opinion.
3. Yes and No. Arkansas has changed, the cities are becoming more cosmopolitan and tolerant. I also grew up in Little Rock and I do miss that for the memories.
4. People there still work on the cotton farms. Specifically picking, I'm not sure. Hispanics started to move in as migrant workers in the early 00s. I didn't live in the delta, Camden area mostly has forestry industry not farming.
5. Nothing is stopping you from hopping a fence and picking a boll of cotton. Nothing but a farmer with a gun maybe.
6. 27. I lived in Arkansas from age 3-17.

To comment on your image, yes Arkansas is changing.
1. Due to increased foreigners (esp. Hispanic). In 1993 my parents were foreign MD #12 and #13.
2. Due to increased urbanization. Little Rock and the Fayetteville areas are growing dramatically compared to rural areas. Many of my high school peers cannot find work nearby and moved to the Northwest or Center of the state.

I knew it was really changing when I was visiting on college break in the early 2010s and on the local news a state representative said:
>we should legalize gay marriage because we can attract the gays to come and work here
Never in my life I would have thought a state politician would support gay marriage. Naturally it was for the economy not for human rights though, which made it humorous.

>Camden
>majority black
lole

also any time that i hear that a southern state is becoming "more tolerant!!!" i can't help but feel like america is fucking dying so stop posting

dont fret. theres still ample racism in arkansas. i was just saying that it has changed from since i was a child.

ln 2016 i saw a man with a nazi swastika tattoo working on his car port in ozark arkansas. Ozark is nearly 100% white.

yeah but that's a shithole. like if you saw me i look like a normal liberal guy and all my friends are liberal but deep down natsoc wn kill all the hispanics etc.
i actually don't hate blacks at all i just really don't want the south to become full of ratchet disgusting soy boys and hispanics and major bankster jews

yeah but that's a shithole, i want the cities to stay racist as well* sorry im tired

All cities in America are full of liberals, spics and dindus, no exception.

In my experience people are still racist but it's subdued in areas with minorities. It's still taboo to racemix in many families.

Areas with little or no minorities racism is more open, like in the Ozarks. In the south of Arkansas people are politely racist.

Also there are basically no jews in Arkansas. I knew about three of them.

Things change or better or for worse. People move into the cities from other places in the US because the cost of living is so cheap. My house in little Rock was 270k in 1997. In California it would have been over 1.5M

It doesn't have to be that way. It was never like this

>people were saying the same thing when non-WASPs immigrated into the US

It's been that way since the 1920s and the Great Migration at least. Chicago was already full of blacks in 1930, and the South has historically been even blacker than it is now. How do you not know this shit?

i know but it was still better back then even with the irish which people hate for some reason

...not the italians though. as much as i hate to say it, they were the worst.

They didn't branch out absolutely everywhere at the time, the only places that were actually "black mecca" dark were chicago, nyc, the cities in philli and maryland (right?) they moved to the shitty industrial places

Because this is where the cocoons were. Every few years negroes molt from the cocoons and after their long dormancy period emerge and cause much stealing, raping, mayhem and murder. This usually lasts until the police arrive, upon which the lawlessness stops and the colored peeps go into hiding for another period of dormancy.

It's less hectic, so I can see the appeal

le bumpe

le bumpe

>ratchet disgusting soy boys and hispanics and major bankster jews

Can yoy be anymore buzzwords?

Do you think that's funny you autist

HDI is a very simple number.

It's derived from life expectancy at birth, years of education, and GDP/capita.

California and New York are both rich states with high percentage of college educated (16-17 years of education vs 12) peopl, and decent state healthcare systems. It's as simple as that.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_life_expectancy

CA #4, NY #6

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_educational_attainment

NY #9, CA #14

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP_per_capita

CA #8, NY #2

so basically it doesnt mean shit

i really love the ridiculous over the top funny shit that otherwise innocuous boards like Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums, and Veeky Forums come up with. they tend to be international too.

Here's a good piece of historical non-fiction for those interested in the history and happening of the Mississippi Belt belt.

users.soc.umn.edu/~samaha/cases/cohn_delta.html

>the Mississippi Belt belt

I'm tipsy, sue me user.

Mississippi River=Nile River

Good place to grow watermelon.

of course the gay nigger loving leftist deviant is drunk on a fucking thursday night

Your fortune: Good news will come to you by mail

All that edge on a Thursday night

this isn't reddit stop taking things so serious

That mentality is how boards die

You can have serious discussion and still joke and call people a nigger. The fact you don't know that, and you probably can't differentiate between serious posts and shitposts/larps/etc., is literally the reddit cancer that people have been complaining about sitewide since 2007

It was easier to push them off to the river so they can be eaten by alligators if they were ever to rebel against the slave master

It's childish, contribute.

>It's practically second world
Didn't knew Mississippi was a communist state.

>hurr durr i should be free to say nigger whenever i want and people should put up with my confrontational racism. If youre against my conduct your not getting the joke!
Youre fucking scum. You come in here and force everyone else to put up with your bullshit and we have to play along with your cringey humor because you want everyone to think in your prejudiced way. Fuck off back to /pol/ if you want to rant about niggers

I live in central Mississippi, AMA i guess.

Honestly, if you havent lived and worked in a predominantly black area in southern state, you cant even comprehend what it means to be "prejudiced"

jesus don't use that cold-war term that has now turned into meaning shithole

1st world means western country
2nd world means neutral
3rd world means warsaw pact/ communist aligned

no money went to neutral countries so generally they remained shitholes, while other countries got money from either the east or west.

You got 2nd and 3rd world flipped. 2nd world was Communism, 3rd world was neutral/contested states. 3rd world came to be associated with poor living conditions because proxy wars waged between the 1st and 2nd world tended to fuck up those countries.

Are you actually fucking ret឵arded? He didn't make a single rac឵ist comment besides using the word "nig឵g឵er". You really should fuck off back to re឵d឵dit.